The Police Tour '07 - Part 2 - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #361
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

There are several Amphitheater in North America that can hold up to 25,000 even 30,000 people. The World Amphitheater near Chicago can hold 30,000 people and that is where U2 played on the ZOO TV tour! The Tweeter Center in Camden New Jersey right outside of Philadelphia is another Amphitheater that can hold 25,000 people.
Yes, but your not giving the reason why U2 played that venue on the Outside Broadcast tour. Because it was fall and Soldier Field was not available for concerts due to the Bears football season. So the only venue in Chicago that would even partially hold the stage was The World. It "Barely" fit in there. It was modified quite a bit to fit. So I dont understand the comparison. Sting solo wasnt playing amphitheaters because stadiums werent available.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 PM
looks like Chicago is back up..

Chicago, IL 07/05/07 TBD TBD - TBD Coming Soon

maybe this is a good sign for Wash DC/Baltimore.. *crosses fingers*

Old 03-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #363
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Yes, but your not giving the reason why U2 played that venue on the Outside Broadcast tour. Because it was fall and Soldier Field was not available for concerts due to the Bears football season. So the only venue in Chicago that would even partially hold the stage was The World. It "Barely" fit in there. It was modified quite a bit to fit. So I dont understand the comparison. Sting solo wasnt playing amphitheaters because stadiums werent available.
Um, I was explaining that 1) some Amphitheaters are large enough for big concerts by the top artist in the industry. 2) Playing amphitheaters is usually a sign of healthy business and artist like Metallica and Van Halen often use such venues when touring the United States. 3) there is a difference between amphitheaters and theaters. Amphitheaters have capacities of 15,000 to 30,000 same as arena's, while theaters are in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. It was suggested that playing an Amphitheater meant that one had become strictly a theater(2,000 to 3,000 per show) artist which is obviously not the case. 4) Amphitheaters have roughly the same capacities as basketball arena's. The only venues larger than Amphitheaters are football stadiums. Few artist can actually play football stadiums on their own.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Amsterdam got the first 2nd night of the Euro tour.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Um, I was explaining that 1) some Amphitheaters are large enough for big concerts by the top artist in the industry. 2) Playing amphitheaters is usually a sign of healthy business and artist like Metallica and Van Halen often use such venues when touring the United States. 3) there is a difference between amphitheaters and theaters. Amphitheaters have capacities of 15,000 to 30,000 same as arena's, while theaters are in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. It was suggested that playing an Amphitheater meant that one had become strictly a theater(2,000 to 3,000 per show) artist which is obviously not the case. 4) Amphitheaters have roughly the same capacities as basketball arena's. The only venues larger than Amphitheaters are football stadiums. Few artist can actually play football stadiums on their own.
Oh, I know what you were trying to say about the capacity. It was just the way you worded it about U2 with the exclamation point. Like even U2 plays these venues and did on the Zoo tour. They did, one time on Zoo simply because the venue that would have worked was not available. I think they have played an amphitheater twice actually. The World and the place in Berlin on Elevation. Both times was because a more suitable venue was not available.

I'm not cutting on Sting either. Like I said, I understand what you are saying. There are few artists that are to big to play the outdoor amphitheater. U2 is one and I would say The Police are also (I dont think there are any amphitheaters on their itinerary this year). Artists like Van Halen live in that type of venue. They play them almost exclusively. Its not a bad thing. I do prefer an arena show though. I dont know why. Just has more of a concert feel for me. Even though the amphitheaters are suppose to have better acoustics and sight lines.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Oh, I know what you were trying to say about the capacity. It was just the way you worded it about U2 with the exclamation point. Like even U2 plays these venues and did on the Zoo tour. They did, one time on Zoo simply because the venue that would have worked was not available. I think they have played an amphitheater twice actually. The World and the place in Berlin on Elevation. Both times was because a more suitable venue was not available.

I'm not cutting on Sting either. Like I said, I understand what you are saying. There are few artists that are to big to play the outdoor amphitheater. U2 is one and I would say The Police are also (I dont think there are any amphitheaters on their itinerary this year). Artists like Van Halen live in that type of venue. They play them almost exclusively. Its not a bad thing. I do prefer an arena show though. I dont know why. Just has more of a concert feel for me. Even though the amphitheaters are suppose to have better acoustics and sight lines.
For the average person at an amphitheater though, you will actually be further from the stage than you would be at an arena show. The Arena seating positions all the seats around the floor in a circle, while at an amphitheater show, you start at the front and go straight back. There is no side stage or rear stage seating at an amphitheater show. I think sight lines are also better in an arena when most people are looking down on the band as opposed to a very slight elevation you experience in the amphitheater as you go further back.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #367
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quick sell-out for Police UK shows

A concert by the reformed The Police at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium sold out within an hour of tickets going on sale.
Large queues had formed at a city ticket agency for the 19 October show.

Other concerts at Birmingham, Manchester and Twickenham also sold out quickly.

Millennium Stadium managers said it was a record, beating the three hours it took to sell out a show featuring Oasis and the Foo Fighters in 2005.

The Police concert in October is part of the band's comeback world tour.

The gig will be the band's last concert of their European tour, and one of four UK performances.

Lead singer Sting announced in February that the band were getting back together after 23 years.

Other shows are taking place at arenas in Birmingham and Manchester, as well as Twickenham in London, which sold out in two-and-a-half hours. .

"There was a phenomenal response from Police fans when tickets went on sale at 9am this morning" said Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis

"Our last record sell out was within three hours, when tickets for the hugely successful Noise and Confusion concert went on sale in 2005 but to beat that by two hours is unbelievable."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6434587.stm
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #368
War Child

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Additional shows:

29 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm
04 Sep NIA, Birmingham
05 Sep NIA, Birmingham
08 Sep Twickenham Stadium, London
09 Sep Twickenham Stadium, London
11 Sep AOL Arena, Hamburg
13 Sep ArenA, Amsterdam
14 Sep ArenA, Amsterdam
16 Sep Sazka Arena, Prague
19 Sep Stadthalle, Vienna
22 Sep Olympiastadion, Munich
27 Sep Olympic Stadium, Barcelona
29 Sep Stade de France, Paris
10 Oct SAP Arena, Mannheim
13 Oct LTU Arena, Dusseldorf
15 Oct MEN Arena, Manchester
16 Oct MEN Arena, Manchester
19 Oct Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Vox
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #369
ONE
love, blood, life

Presale info-

Wed. 5 Sept. - Birmingham, UK @ National Indoor Arena
Sun. 9 Sept. - London, UK @ Twickenham Stadium
Fri. 14 Sept. - Amsterdam, NL @ Arena
Wed. 10 Oct. - Mannheim, DE @ SAP Arena
Tues. 16 Oct. - Manchester, UK @ MEN Arena

Upcoming members-only presales are listed below.
Head to ThePoliceTour.com Tickets page to purchase your tickets for these concert dates.

Tues. March 13th Members-Only Presales @ 10:00 am local time
5 Sept. - Birmingham, UK @ National Indoor Arena
9 Sept. - London, UK @ Twickenham Stadium
11 Sept. - Hamburg, DE @ AOL Arena
22 Sept. - Munich, DE @ Olympiastadion
10 Oct. - Mannheim, DE @ SAP Arena
13 Oct. - Dusseldorf, DE @ LTU Arena
16 Oct. - Manchester, UK @ MEN Arena

Wed. March 14th Members-Only Presales @ 10:00 am local time
14 Sept. - Amsterdam, NL @ Arena
19 Sept. - Vienna, NL @ Stadthalle
29 Sept. - Paris, FR @ Stade de France
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've heard rumors that they will play Croke Park in Ireland. Shows in Italy should go on sale in the next few weeks as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #371
ONE
love, blood, life

NEW TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED & MEMBERS-ONLY FAN CLUB PRESALES

The Police Tour Fan Club is happy to announce that The Police have added 2 new tour dates to their European and North American tours. The new dates are:
Thur. Aug. 30 - Stockholm #2, SE @ Globe Arena
Thur. July 5 - Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field.

The presale for the Stockholm #2 show will begin on Fri., Mar. 16th at 10:00 am local time.
The presale for the Chicago show will begin Wed., Mar. 21st at 10:00 am local time.

Fri. Mar. 16th Members-Only Presale @ 10:00 am local time
Aug. 30 - Stockholm #2, SE @ Globe Arena

Wed. Mar. 21st Members-Only Presale @ 10:00 am local time
July 5 - Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field
Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #372
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
if I'm reading that correctly, does that mean there won't be a Best Buy presale for the Chicago show, just a fan club presale? Or am I just being too impatient right now?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #373
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Where the hell is the DC show announcement????

Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #374
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
Where the hell is the DC show announcement????

THATS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO F**KIN KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #375
Refugee

i bet dc gets screwed yet again and we have to settle for a single crappy arena date on the 2nd leg.

what pisses me off me most is that they were going to use the b'more ravens stadium for a summer show, but the ravens people said no because they had a planned scrimmage. wtf, not even a preseason game! i hope ray lewis gets testicular cancer and the ravens never have a winning season again. karma, bitches.