The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

There are several Amphitheater in North America that can hold up to 25,000 even 30,000 people. The World Amphitheater near Chicago can hold 30,000 people and that is where U2 played on the ZOO TV tour! The Tweeter Center in Camden New Jersey right outside of Philadelphia is another Amphitheater that can hold 25,000 people.

Yes, but your not giving the reason why U2 played that venue on the Outside Broadcast tour. Because it was fall and Soldier Field was not available for concerts due to the Bears football season. So the only venue in Chicago that would even partially hold the stage was The World. It "Barely" fit in there. It was modified quite a bit to fit. So I dont understand the comparison. Sting solo wasnt playing amphitheaters because stadiums werent available.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Yes, but your not giving the reason why U2 played that venue on the Outside Broadcast tour. Because it was fall and Soldier Field was not available for concerts due to the Bears football season. So the only venue in Chicago that would even partially hold the stage was The World. It "Barely" fit in there. It was modified quite a bit to fit. So I dont understand the comparison. Sting solo wasnt playing amphitheaters because stadiums werent available.

Um, I was explaining that 1) some Amphitheaters are large enough for big concerts by the top artist in the industry. 2) Playing amphitheaters is usually a sign of healthy business and artist like Metallica and Van Halen often use such venues when touring the United States. 3) there is a difference between amphitheaters and theaters. Amphitheaters have capacities of 15,000 to 30,000 same as arena's, while theaters are in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. It was suggested that playing an Amphitheater meant that one had become strictly a theater(2,000 to 3,000 per show) artist which is obviously not the case. 4) Amphitheaters have roughly the same capacities as basketball arena's. The only venues larger than Amphitheaters are football stadiums. Few artist can actually play football stadiums on their own.

STING2 said:

Um, I was explaining that 1) some Amphitheaters are large enough for big concerts by the top artist in the industry. 2) Playing amphitheaters is usually a sign of healthy business and artist like Metallica and Van Halen often use such venues when touring the United States. 3) there is a difference between amphitheaters and theaters. Amphitheaters have capacities of 15,000 to 30,000 same as arena's, while theaters are in the 2,000 to 3,000 range. It was suggested that playing an Amphitheater meant that one had become strictly a theater(2,000 to 3,000 per show) artist which is obviously not the case. 4) Amphitheaters have roughly the same capacities as basketball arena's. The only venues larger than Amphitheaters are football stadiums. Few artist can actually play football stadiums on their own.

Oh, I know what you were trying to say about the capacity. It was just the way you worded it about U2 with the exclamation point. Like even U2 plays these venues and did on the Zoo tour. They did, one time on Zoo simply because the venue that would have worked was not available. I think they have played an amphitheater twice actually. The World and the place in Berlin on Elevation. Both times was because a more suitable venue was not available.

I'm not cutting on Sting either. Like I said, I understand what you are saying. There are few artists that are to big to play the outdoor amphitheater. U2 is one and I would say The Police are also (I dont think there are any amphitheaters on their itinerary this year). Artists like Van Halen live in that type of venue. They play them almost exclusively. Its not a bad thing. I do prefer an arena show though. I dont know why. Just has more of a concert feel for me. Even though the amphitheaters are suppose to have better acoustics and sight lines.

Blue Room said:

Oh, I know what you were trying to say about the capacity. It was just the way you worded it about U2 with the exclamation point. Like even U2 plays these venues and did on the Zoo tour. They did, one time on Zoo simply because the venue that would have worked was not available. I think they have played an amphitheater twice actually. The World and the place in Berlin on Elevation. Both times was because a more suitable venue was not available.

I'm not cutting on Sting either. Like I said, I understand what you are saying. There are few artists that are to big to play the outdoor amphitheater. U2 is one and I would say The Police are also (I dont think there are any amphitheaters on their itinerary this year). Artists like Van Halen live in that type of venue. They play them almost exclusively. Its not a bad thing. I do prefer an arena show though. I dont know why. Just has more of a concert feel for me. Even though the amphitheaters are suppose to have better acoustics and sight lines.

For the average person at an amphitheater though, you will actually be further from the stage than you would be at an arena show. The Arena seating positions all the seats around the floor in a circle, while at an amphitheater show, you start at the front and go straight back. There is no side stage or rear stage seating at an amphitheater show. I think sight lines are also better in an arena when most people are looking down on the band as opposed to a very slight elevation you experience in the amphitheater as you go further back.

Quick sell-out for Police UK shows

A concert by the reformed The Police at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium sold out within an hour of tickets going on sale.
Large queues had formed at a city ticket agency for the 19 October show.

Other concerts at Birmingham, Manchester and Twickenham also sold out quickly.

Millennium Stadium managers said it was a record, beating the three hours it took to sell out a show featuring Oasis and the Foo Fighters in 2005.

The Police concert in October is part of the band's comeback world tour.

The gig will be the band's last concert of their European tour, and one of four UK performances.

Lead singer Sting announced in February that the band were getting back together after 23 years.

Other shows are taking place at arenas in Birmingham and Manchester, as well as Twickenham in London, which sold out in two-and-a-half hours. .

"There was a phenomenal response from Police fans when tickets went on sale at 9am this morning" said Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis

"Our last record sell out was within three hours, when tickets for the hugely successful Noise and Confusion concert went on sale in 2005 but to beat that by two hours is unbelievable."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6434587.stm

Additional shows:

29 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm
04 Sep NIA, Birmingham
05 Sep NIA, Birmingham
08 Sep Twickenham Stadium, London
09 Sep Twickenham Stadium, London
11 Sep AOL Arena, Hamburg
13 Sep ArenA, Amsterdam
14 Sep ArenA, Amsterdam
16 Sep Sazka Arena, Prague
19 Sep Stadthalle, Vienna
22 Sep Olympiastadion, Munich
27 Sep Olympic Stadium, Barcelona
29 Sep Stade de France, Paris
10 Oct SAP Arena, Mannheim
13 Oct LTU Arena, Dusseldorf
15 Oct MEN Arena, Manchester
16 Oct MEN Arena, Manchester
19 Oct Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Vox

Presale info-

Wed. 5 Sept. - Birmingham, UK @ National Indoor Arena
Sun. 9 Sept. - London, UK @ Twickenham Stadium
Fri. 14 Sept. - Amsterdam, NL @ Arena
Wed. 10 Oct. - Mannheim, DE @ SAP Arena
Tues. 16 Oct. - Manchester, UK @ MEN Arena

Upcoming members-only presales are listed below.
Head to ThePoliceTour.com Tickets page to purchase your tickets for these concert dates.

Tues. March 13th Members-Only Presales @ 10:00 am local time
5 Sept. - Birmingham, UK @ National Indoor Arena
9 Sept. - London, UK @ Twickenham Stadium
11 Sept. - Hamburg, DE @ AOL Arena
22 Sept. - Munich, DE @ Olympiastadion
10 Oct. - Mannheim, DE @ SAP Arena
13 Oct. - Dusseldorf, DE @ LTU Arena
16 Oct. - Manchester, UK @ MEN Arena

Wed. March 14th Members-Only Presales @ 10:00 am local time
14 Sept. - Amsterdam, NL @ Arena
19 Sept. - Vienna, NL @ Stadthalle
29 Sept. - Paris, FR @ Stade de France

I've heard rumors that they will play Croke Park in Ireland. Shows in Italy should go on sale in the next few weeks as well.

NEW TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED & MEMBERS-ONLY FAN CLUB PRESALES

The Police Tour Fan Club is happy to announce that The Police have added 2 new tour dates to their European and North American tours. The new dates are:
Thur. Aug. 30 - Stockholm #2, SE @ Globe Arena
Thur. July 5 - Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field.

The presale for the Stockholm #2 show will begin on Fri., Mar. 16th at 10:00 am local time.
The presale for the Chicago show will begin Wed., Mar. 21st at 10:00 am local time.

Fri. Mar. 16th Members-Only Presale @ 10:00 am local time
Aug. 30 - Stockholm #2, SE @ Globe Arena

Wed. Mar. 21st Members-Only Presale @ 10:00 am local time
July 5 - Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field

i bet dc gets screwed yet again and we have to settle for a single crappy arena date on the 2nd leg.

what pisses me off me most is that they were going to use the b'more ravens stadium for a summer show, but the ravens people said no because they had a planned scrimmage. wtf, not even a preseason game! i hope ray lewis gets testicular cancer and the ravens never have a winning season again. karma, bitches.

bollox said:
i bet dc gets screwed yet again and we have to settle for a single crappy arena date on the 2nd leg.

what pisses me off me most is that they were going to use the b'more ravens stadium for a summer show, but the ravens people said no because they had a planned scrimmage. wtf, not even a preseason game! i hope ray lewis gets testicular cancer and the ravens never have a winning season again. karma, bitches.

AMEN TO THAT!!:up:

you are probably right.. it just kills me that we are gonna get screwed.. they had the damn venue city up from the beginnning and took it down a couple of weeks ago!!!!!!!! :madspit:

bollox said:

Anybody with a working brain would pick an arena show over a Stadium show where most seats have so-so sightlines.

I'm wondering if some of the opening dates(here in Vancouver/Northwest dates) will have some rough spots performance wise.

u2fp

Last edited:
I think Sting has finished the Lute Tour, or will very soon leave Europe and soon resume rehearsing with The Police.

I've heard rumours that the rehearsals will return to Vancouver, between the Film Studios and GM Place.

GM Place is desired because:
A) The tour starts here May 28/30
B) It has the highest ceilings for any North American Arena is helps from a technical standpoint
C) Away from distractions
D)They can have the building in late May(barring the odd night needed for a 3rd round playoff run by the Canucks) with the lone exception of the Brad Paisley/Kellie Picker show on May 22nd.

Unconfirmed Rumours out fo Vancouver:
A) During the Police tour, crew members will be wearing cop uniforms
B) For Stadium shows the band will drive from the back of the field to the stage on replica lunar Rovers and kick off the show with "Walking on the Moon"
C) There will be giant inflatable Camels onstage for "Tea in the Sahara"
D) Andy and Stewart stayed in Vancouver(Copeland used a different drumkit in LA than the Vancouver rehearsal photos)

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Anybody with a working brain would pick an arena show over a Stadium show where most seats have so-so sightlines.

I'm wondering if some of the opening dates(here in Vancouver/Northwest dates) will have some rough spots performance wise.

u2fp

In an arena though, you have behind the stage seating and a smaller production. Some people enjoy the large production with stadium shows, plus the fact that everyone gets a full frontal view of the artist. Then there is the whole experience of being outside for the show in warm summer weather.

A) During the Police tour, crew members will be wearing cop uniforms
B) For Stadium shows the band will drive from the back of the field to the stage on replica lunar Rovers and kick off the show with "Walking on the Moon"
C) There will be giant inflatable Camels onstage for "Tea in the Sahara"
:wink:

U2FanPeter said:

the emphasis was on the "single" arena date. i imagine the dc/baltimore market could warrant mulitple arena shows or one stadium show, but this will likely be oversighted.

one arena show = higher demand = more likelihood of getting screwed out of tickets

bollox said:

the emphasis was on the "single" arena date. i imagine the dc/baltimore market could warrant mulitple arena shows or one stadium show, but this will likely be oversighted.

one arena show = higher demand = more likelihood of getting screwed out of tickets

:mad: :rant:

Allegra said:
I don't know if Sting2 posted this one or not, but this is HILARIOUS.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmvT-DOOItg

:lmao:

:lol: that was funny.

I also clicked on the link to Synchronicity 1 live in Atlanta. Hadn't seen that in awhile. I saw them in Birmingham AL a few days after that show took place. My first concert.

Makes me want to get a full recording of the Synchronicity tour. Does anyone have or know of any sites where you can get Police bootlegs? I know there is an excellent audience recording of the Synchronicity Giants Stadium show.

Blue Room said:

:lol: that was funny.

I also clicked on the link to Synchronicity 1 live in Atlanta. Hadn't seen that in awhile. I saw them in Birmingham AL a few days after that show took place. My first concert.

Makes me want to get a full recording of the Synchronicity tour. Does anyone have or know of any sites where you can get Police bootlegs? I know there is an excellent audience recording of the Synchronicity Giants Stadium show.

Or I think you mean the Synchronicity Shea Stadium show. The only time the Police played at GIANTS STADIUM was for the Amnesty International Show, that is until the current tour which will see them play there on August 5, 2007.

STING2 said:

Or I think you mean the Synchronicity Shea Stadium show. The only time the Police played at GIANTS STADIUM was for the Amnesty International Show, that is until the current tour which will see them play there on August 5, 2007.

You are right, thats the one I meant.

U2Girl416 said:
still nothing on a Best Buy pre-sale for Chicago :madspit: I wrote Best Buy inquiring if there would be a pre-sale, and the response I got? they pasted the terms and conditions of the presales and did not even address my question whatsoever. :banghead:

that bloody sucks! What a shame I was kinda counting on Best Buy presale for the Wash DC/Baltimore date whenever it shows back up. I am not paying 100 bucks for a membership... no way!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom