The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
Did anyone else hear that they were offered the Super Bowl Halftime slot for 2008? One of my good friends is a Police fan and he said he heard it was offered to them and they turned it down because the would be done by then. Done as in that would be it, period.

I would love a new Police album but from the sounds of it, I think its this reunion tour this year and nothing else, again. I guess it wouldnt surprise me at all. Copeland and Sting seem to butt heads figuratively and literally quite a bit. I'm sort of surprised Sting finally agreed to do this tour.

Does anyone remember when Martha Quinn from MTV was interviewing them back in 83 and Copeland said "Do you want to see my kick Sting's ass?" and Sting throws a cup of water at him and Copeland just takes off after him? It sort of seemed half fun and half pissed off to me.

In January 2008, the Police will be starting the part of the tour that will take in Mexico, South America, Australia, Japan, and New Zealand. They probably don't feel the Superbowl is really worth it to fly all the way back to North America for a two or three song set. U2 did it because they were still pushing a brand new album which went up the charts the following week.

Given The Police are touring the entire world, they will still be on the road in March 2008. They may even do a second leg of Europe in early summer 2008 depending on how sales go for the first leg of Europe in September/October 2007.

STING2 said:

In January 2008, the Police will be starting the part of the tour that will take in Mexico, South America, Australia, Japan, and New Zealand. They probably don't feel the Superbowl is really worth it to fly all the way back to North America for a two or three song set. U2 did it because they were still pushing a brand new album which went up the charts the following week.

Given The Police are touring the entire world, they will still be on the road in March 2008. They may even do a second leg of Europe in early summer 2008 depending on how sales go for the first leg of Europe in September/October 2007.

Where was it indicated that they would be on the road still next summer? The Super Bowl is late February. So the tour could possibly be done by that point. I guess we will see. I dont really care, and I'm no Police expert and dont profess to be. Just thought it was interesting.

Blue Room said:

Does anyone remember when Martha Quinn from MTV was interviewing them back in 83 and Copeland said "Do you want to see my kick Sting's ass?" and Sting throws a cup of water at him and Copeland just takes off after him? It sort of seemed half fun and half pissed off to me.

In Stewart's DVD, Everyone Stares, it seemed as though according to him that it was mostly roughhousing. They were more like brothers. It was only Sting that wanted to take off and do his Solo career. It seemed as though Stewart felt like Sting would come right back after a couple of years. But we all know what happened. I think Sting just got a stick up his butt and totally focused on getting his solo stuff out. But it was strange that he would break down later in his shows and play Police songs. I think with Sting it's more like a love/hate relationship, and for him it's mostly about the busine$$. Where as Stewart always loved being with the guys. And Andy, well, you know, was Andy.

Blue Room said:

Where was it indicated that they would be on the road still next summer? The Super Bowl is late February. So the tour could possibly be done by that point. I guess we will see. I dont really care, and I'm no Police expert and dont profess to be. Just thought it was interesting.

The Superbowl at the latest is the first week of February not late February. U2's Vertigo tour outside North America/Europe started on February 12, 2006 and would have had its last show on April 9, 2006 without the delay. For POPMART, it was from January 27, 1998 to March 21, 1998.

So it takes at least two months to do such a tour, and more if more dates and shows are added. The band will be touring up until Christmas time and will likely take a bit of January off. Starting before the end of January would put the end of the tour around the end of March 2008 if its only 15 to 20 shows. More shows or a later start date would put it into April, and a second leg of Europe would put it into the summer of 2008.

How strong demand is will definitely play a role in how long the band plays certain area's of the world. Stewart Copeland has said the tour will extend well into 2008. By the end of 2007, The Police will have played most of North America and given Europe about 2 months of shows. That leaves a lot of places to still play based on their general plans, and if demand in Europe is like what it has been in North America, Europe will likely receive another leg.

The Eagles reunion started in the summer of 1994 and continued all the way into 1996. The first reunion tour that is.

STING2 said:

How strong demand is will definitely play a role in how long the band plays certain area's of the world. Stewart Copeland has said the tour will extend well into 2008. By the end of 2007, The Police will have played most of North America and given Europe about 2 months of shows. That leaves a lot of places to still play based on their general plans, and if demand in Europe is like what it has been in North America, Europe will likely receive another leg.

The Eagles reunion started in the summer of 1994 and continued all the way into 1996. The first reunion tour that is.

Do you have a link that quotes Copeland saying this recently? I'm just curious. Each group is different in what they want to do. U2 and The Eagles are not The Police. Not saying what you are saying wont be correct. I'm just saying I dont see the correlation. If they want to play a year or less, they will play a year less regardless of what U2 or The Eagles did. :shrug:

kellyahern said:
I thought you could order the police fan club membership during the pre-sale, but it's still asking me for a password. How can I enter a password if they won't let me order it through ticketmaster? :banghead:

That might not be available yet, there should be a seperate box to order that way. Fan club bundle I think it is.

Blue Room said:

Do you have a link that quotes Copeland saying this recently? I'm just curious. Each group is different in what they want to do. U2 and The Eagles are not The Police. Not saying what you are saying wont be correct. I'm just saying I dont see the correlation. If they want to play a year or less, they will play a year less regardless of what U2 or The Eagles did. :shrug:

Sting's 2002(?) tour did 3 full tour legs in the US.

Blue Room said:

Its something I've seen multiple times, but I'd have to go digging at the Police site to find the qoute, it actually might be a video. You can't do a world tour of this length starting at the end of May without going well into 2008. They will be on the road at least through March 2008 unless the tour of area's outside North America/Europe is tiny.

Just as U2 found their average per night gross levels jump once they hit South America, so to will The Police likely find this to be the case. The band is so popular in South America, that the band actually went there in the early 1980s, over decade before U2 and the Rolling Stones ever set foot on the South American Continent.

The correlation between U2, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones and The Police, as far as touring, is business! Stewart Copeland said at the Press conference a month ago that they plan world domination including the "enslavement of everyones children and eating every King and Queen". You can find Stewart Copeland saying that on youtube or the Police site from the press conference. The translation would be that they plan to go to every possible place on the planet where people in significant numbers would be interested in seeing them play. One could design tours of various lengths and Copeland's statements suggest they are going for the longest and most extensive tour they can do. It makes sense, why go half way or come up short given a tour of this magnitude? There is no doubt that they will try to see if they can outgross U2 and the Rolling Stones latest tours. I don't know if they will, but they are certainly going to try and come as close as they can.

U2FanPeter said:

Sting's 2002(?) tour did 3 full tour legs in the US.

I think you are referring to the Brand New Day tour?? That was in 1999, 2000 and 2001. There were 3 US legs, it's true. However, from what I understand, tickets weren't exactly hard to come by. I actually saw him in Columbus in 2000, and the venue was probably half full at best, I'd say. So even though he toured a lot, most of it was either amphitheaters or smaller venues. It was nothing like this police tour.

ANNOUNCE THE COLUMBUS DATE DAMMIT!!!!!

:hug:

I didn't really want to drive all the way back from the beach to home and cut my vacation short.

So I decided to do two vacations :reject:. Well, Vegas is a mini-vacation. And I wanted to go to Vegas again, this time with my sister instead of my mother :lol:.

Now I'll just eat Ramen noodles for a few months :up:.

The Vegas seats are crappy seats, but crappy seats in Vegas are way better than crappy seats in Tampa (I checked Tampa too, craaaaaaaaaaaaaappy seats :lol: ).

STING2 said:

Its something I've seen multiple times, but I'd have to go digging at the Police site to find the qoute, it actually might be a video. You can't do a world tour of this length starting at the end of May without going well into 2008. They will be on the road at least through March 2008 unless the tour of area's outside North America/Europe is tiny.

Just as U2 found their average per night gross levels jump once they hit South America, so to will The Police likely find this to be the case. The band is so popular in South America, that the band actually went there in the early 1980s, over decade before U2 and the Rolling Stones ever set foot on the South American Continent.

The correlation between U2, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones and The Police, as far as touring, is business! Stewart Copeland said at the Press conference a month ago that they plan world domination including the "enslavement of everyones children and eating every King and Queen". You can find Stewart Copeland saying that on youtube or the Police site from the press conference. The translation would be that they plan to go to every possible place on the planet where people in significant numbers would be interested in seeing them play. One could design tours of various lengths and Copeland's statements suggest they are going for the longest and most extensive tour they can do. It makes sense, why go half way or come up short given a tour of this magnitude? There is no doubt that they will try to see if they can outgross U2 and the Rolling Stones latest tours. I don't know if they will, but they are certainly going to try and come as close as they can.

Again, I'm not saying your wrong. But the only correlation I can kind of see is The Eagles. Band that reunited that didnt really get along. Given Sting's history (and lets face it, how long the tour is and how long this lasts is really up to him) I cant see them going for several years with this. I could be wrong, but it doesnt seem like him. Like I said before I'm surprised he is even doing this tour to begin with based on his past comments about reuniting. Obviously there are still alot of assumptions about whats going to happen as well. I'm no Police expert, I like them alot, but I would probably be more towards the casual fan side with them. I'm just trying to weed out what is official, what is assumption, and what is purely rumor at this point. You know how the internet goes. Someone posts something they think will happen or would like to happen. Two days later it becomes fact simply because it was posted.

The_acrobat said:
I think you are referring to the Brand New Day tour?? That was in 1999, 2000 and 2001. There were 3 US legs, it's true. However, from what I understand, tickets weren't exactly hard to come by. I actually saw him in Columbus in 2000, and the venue was probably half full at best, I'd say. So even though he toured a lot, most of it was either amphitheaters or smaller venues. It was nothing like this police tour.

Was Sting getting close to becoming a theater level act?

U2FanPeter said:

Well my show in 2000 was at Polaris (Germain) Amphitheater in Columbus. He played there again in 2004, but I didn't go because solo Sting isn't my bag at all. But he became a theater act probably during that era.

Part of the reason Sting is doing this tour is he gave into the pressure from Stewart, and because his solo career isn't successful anymore, and he knows this tour is a good way to get some Ca$h.

It's not posted on Ticketbastard or on the official website.

Doesn't anybody know when the General Sale for Houston will happen?

Scratch that....just found it. All of the sudden I remembered back during the Vertigo tour the Toyota Center likes to run their own show. I just went to their website and found it.

On Sale Saturday, March 10th at 10 a.m.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Again, I'm not saying your wrong. But the only correlation I can kind of see is The Eagles. Band that reunited that didnt really get along. Given Sting's history (and lets face it, how long the tour is and how long this lasts is really up to him) I cant see them going for several years with this. I could be wrong, but it doesnt seem like him. Like I said before I'm surprised he is even doing this tour to begin with based on his past comments about reuniting. Obviously there are still alot of assumptions about whats going to happen as well. I'm no Police expert, I like them alot, but I would probably be more towards the casual fan side with them. I'm just trying to weed out what is official, what is assumption, and what is purely rumor at this point. You know how the internet goes. Someone posts something they think will happen or would like to happen. Two days later it becomes fact simply because it was posted.

The following is official:

North America 1st leg:

May 28 to August 5 2007

EUROPE:

August 29 through end of October 2007

North America 2nd leg:

November 8 through mid December 2007

Mexico, South America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan:

Based on the above officially released dates, I think its safe to speculate that the band will be on the road through the end of March 2008.

U2FanPeter said:

mmmm, no, he still played Arena's in virtually all of the markets he went to, providing even some return dates in arena's in those same markets in 2001. Sting started off the tour playing some small theater shows in 1999.

The North American leg of Sting's 2004 world tour grossed over $50 million dollars and was the 8th highest grossing tour of the year, right behind Van Halen just re-united with Sammy Hagar at $54 million and Metallica at $60 million. When your competing with Van Halen and Metallica on the road, your doing very well I would say.

The_acrobat said:

Well my show in 2000 was at Polaris (Germain) Amphitheater in Columbus. He played there again in 2004, but I didn't go because solo Sting isn't my bag at all. But he became a theater act probably during that era.

Part of the reason Sting is doing this tour is he gave into the pressure from Stewart, and because his solo career isn't successful anymore, and he knows this tour is a good way to get some Ca$h.

First of all, Sting is worth more than Bono. He does not actually need the cash. 2nd playing an Amphitheater does not make one a "theater act". There are several Amphitheater in North America that can hold up to 25,000 even 30,000 people. The World Amphitheater near Chicago can hold 30,000 people and that is where U2 played on the ZOO TV tour! The Tweeter Center in Camden New Jersey right outside of Philadelphia is another Amphitheater that can hold 25,000 people.

Amphitheater's once you include people on the lawn have capacities that typically are greater than the nearby arena. Van Halen played Amphitheater on its last tour.

Sting's last full solo tour for his last studio album Sacred Love, brought in a gross of $50.4 million dollars from just North America alone. It was the 8th highest grossing tour of 2004 and is a higher gross figure than anything the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, or Green Day have done in North America to date.

adrball said:
Manchester Arena :happy:

Soldout today I hear, along with Twickingham stadium in London that soldout in 30 minutes. Millennium stadium in Cardiff Wales also soldout within a couple of hours. Amsterdam Arena(capacity 55,000) also appears soldout with only single tickets at the back left.

The Prices for the Twickingham stadium show in London were in US dollars roughly $90, $140, and $180.

STING2 said:

Soldout today I hear, along with Twickingham stadium in London that soldout in 30 minutes. Millennium stadium in Cardiff Wales also soldout within a couple of hours. Amsterdam Arena(capacity 55,000) also appears soldout with only single tickets at the back left.

The Prices for the Twickingham stadium show in London were in US dollars roughly $90, $140, and $180.

Tell me about it, I couldn't get tickets for either Twickers or Cardiff this morning they'd both sold out within half an hour :( and surprise surprise there's hundreds now selling on ebay for vastly inflated prices. I'm just hoping they add extra dates or release extra seats at some stage.

Back
Top Bottom