The Police Tour '07 - Part 2 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:32 AM
I have my code for tomorrow's presale. However, after going to Ticketmaster's site, they only show 2 seating charts: one for regular Dodger Stadium baseball games and one for the Rolling Stones show. So how is one to know what seats are what price and what to try and buy based on affordability

This is the Stones set-up:

Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Considering the prices, it'll be easy to get atop that list.

The reason people on the Cops board couldn't get fenway is just what i'm telling you....for 2 shows, fenway would be about 72,000 tix.
Not even close to that many were released yesterday.
You don't have to believe me, but it is the case. fenway is a very different animal.
More will be released later after season tix holders get their option.
The average ticket price is less than the Rolling Stones, and only slightly more than U2. Tickets prices are based on demand.

Do you know how many tickets at Fenway Park have been released and can you site a source?

Arthur Fogel knows how many tickets have been released and sold, and his response to the sales is one word: "ECSTATIC".

More tickets are ALWAYS released in just about every venue around the world, after an initial sellout, for the most in demand tours. I've never heard anyone claim that selling out so quickly on the first day was some how not that great. Thats just absurd. The only way anyone could have done better than The Police did yesterday is if there were NO tickets available during the public on sale. That obviously has yet to happen at Fenway Park.

In any event, here are the official boxscore results for concerts at Fenway Park as reported by amusement business and posted on Billboard.com and in Billboard magazine:

Bruce Springsteen

Boston Mass. : September 6-7, 2003 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 70,827 : GROSS $5,222,625 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Jimmy Buffett

Boston Mass. : September 10, 12, 2004 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 67,285 : GROSS $5,615,316 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

The Rolling Stones

Boston Mass. : August 21, 23, 2005 : Fenway Park : ATTENDANCE 70,428 : GROSS $10,686,758 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

The capacity is set by the promoter and differences in attendance for sellouts can be explained by a variety of reasons. Sometimes its because of the staging used by the artist, other times it may be do to repairs in the venue, and sometimes the promoter will set the capacity lower that the maximum capacity of the venue to insure a sellout. A sellout is considered to be the sellout of all tickets that are put on sell, not necessarily the sell of all potential seats in the stadium.

I don't have the Dave Matthews Band boxscore, but I don't think a concert there has yet to have a full 72,000 for two shows, suggesting that the maximum capacity for two concerts at Fenway park is a little less than 72,000 with seats on the field.

The Police will probably have an attendance figure of somewhere around 70,000 for their two shows and a gross of between 7 million and 8 million for the two shows.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Exactly. The Springsteen shows were "sold out" within minutes back in 2003, but it wasn't until just before the shows that additional seats went on sale for all the ones that season ticket holders didn't bother getting. That's how I scored two tickets 10 rows or so from the stage.

I anticipate the same thing happening this time as well.
Every venue whether it be a stadium, arena, or theater, will often have some tickets that are held back and then later released, regardless of whether the show initially sells out or not. It does not change the fact that tickets sold very quickly yesterday and from the view of those who actually know what tickets are available and which are not, the sales were very impressive.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I'm not saying (and I don't think Hewson is either) that the sales of the Police shows haven't gone well - they've of course sold all tickets that are currently available very fast.

All we are pointing out is that for Fenway, they have a very high number of season ticket holders, more so than other places (this is the Red Sox, after all). This means that there are literally thousands and thousands of tickets that are being held for them. After a certain timeframe, all the tickets that didn't get sold to season ticket holders will get released to the general public.

So technically, it's not a sellout yet. Will it eventually be one? Absolutely. But at this very moment, not every ticket is sold.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #140
Refugee

Location: The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap, clap, clap*
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I have my code for tomorrow's presale. However, after going to Ticketmaster's site, they only show 2 seating charts: one for regular Dodger Stadium baseball games and one for the Rolling Stones show. So how is one to know what seats are what price and what to try and buy based on affordability

Well, they are showing it now...

Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #141
Refugee

I'd hate to be in section 1 in the blue Top Deck at Dodger's.

Might as well stay home and wait for the DVD.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I'm not saying (and I don't think Hewson is either) that the sales of the Police shows haven't gone well - they've of course sold all tickets that are currently available very fast.

All we are pointing out is that for Fenway, they have a very high number of season ticket holders, more so than other places (this is the Red Sox, after all). This means that there are literally thousands and thousands of tickets that are being held for them. After a certain timeframe, all the tickets that didn't get sold to season ticket holders will get released to the general public.

So technically, it's not a sellout yet. Will it eventually be one? Absolutely. But at this very moment, not every ticket is sold.
Well, you could say that about any concert! Hewson is claiming that it would be a mistake to infer anything from the rapid sellout on Tuesday, and that simply is not the case.

Don't know if its Hewson, but on the Pearl Jam site, a poster even suggested the promoters had cancelled arena's and put in stadium shows and that they were making a big mistake, all on this theory that nearly half the tickets for Fenway Park have been withheld for season ticket holders and will go on sale later. Yes, you will see other tickets periodically go on sale for the Fenway Park show, just like many other venue's around the country.

Lets seem some hard factual data on exactly how many tickets have been withheld instead of just dreaming up a number, that its this or that.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra
I'd hate to be in section 1 in the blue Top Deck at Dodger's.

Might as well stay home and wait for the DVD.
Not necessarily true. This is about music first, and a concert with quality sound is just as good from the front section to all the way at the back. I saw 3 POPMART shows on the POPMART tour, and my favorite show was actually at GIANTS Stadium on the top row at the very back, not because of the type of seats I had, but because the quality of the music that night, which was in no way diminished by the type of seats I had. Of course, its fun to be closer, but its still possible to enjoy a concert at the back of a stadium.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #144
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra

Well, they are showing it now...

Thanks for the update!

However, there's no way to know what price point goes to each section. I assume all field is $250, and that's just not do-able for me. For U2 and only U2, yes, not for The Police, sorry. I'd like to know where the $90 seats are and go from there. I'd hate to just pick the first tix that pop up tomorrow, but that might be the only option, I don't know. This is L.A. afterall.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Exactly my point.

In this particular case, a much higher percentage of tix are held for season tix holders than other venues.
That was part of the deal the Sox put in place when concerts at fenway became a reality.
The ownership wanted to play nice with everybody, the city, the neighborhood committe and the fan base.

I fully expect both shows to be sold out, my point is that the excitement Sting2 exhibits and the notion of selling out 3 and 4 Fenway shows are over the top.
2 is about right, and I think the secondary market will cool considerably once the initial hype wears off.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I don't have the Dave Matthews Band boxscore, but I don't think a concert there has yet to have a full 72,000 for two shows, suggesting that the maximum capacity for two concerts at Fenway park is a little less than 72,000 with seats on the field.

I used 72,000 as a round figure because I remember the listed capacity for Bruce's shows at somewhere between 35,000 and 36,000 (there was a big write up prior to the shows).
So it was 70,827...you're really splitting hairs there. And there have been some added seats since then.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Not necessarily true. This is about music first, and a concert with quality sound is just as good from the front section to all the way at the back. I saw 3 POPMART shows on the POPMART tour, and my favorite show was actually at GIANTS Stadium on the top row at the very back, not because of the type of seats I had, but because the quality of the music that night, which was in no way diminished by the type of seats I had. Of course, its fun to be closer, but its still possible to enjoy a concert at the back of a stadium.
Thats a personal choice.
Some people have the "I don't care where I sit, I just wanna be in the building" outlook.
While others want to be able to see the show as well as hear it.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, I barely woke up in time, told mother nature to call back, and just went for the first pair of $95.00 tix that came up, cuz I was panicky

Section 138 Loge, Row F, Seats 1-2

I was afraid to 'search again' to see what would come up, cuz they might have been worse. I didn't want to bother trying for $225 tix that I couldn't afford. And I was able to use what little Amex Rewards Points I had to save about $40. So... Guess I'll be there!

And just as I was trying to "check-out", my doctor's office was returning my call. I had to make them hold. Luckily it wasn't the actual doctor!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #149
Refugee

^At least you got in!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #150
Blue Crack Distributor

thanks! Like I said, I was worried about tossing the tickets back and trying again, cuz usually the first ones that come up are the best. Who knows!