The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Fanatic4ever said:

i am not that lucky i guess. Not all of us have that kind of cash to spend on one ticket..

No. Not cash. Reward points.

Here's what we do...

First get the American Express green card. Use it for everyday purchases like gas and food. After a while your points will build up, and you'll be able to get free stuff. I just use my points for concert tickets. I don't have enough to get airline tickets or anything like that. And it's not like a regular credit card because you have to pay it off at the end of each month. So I tell my hubby that if you buy anything less than $50 put it on the green card. If you need to make a larger purchase, then put it on the Visa card [or Master or Discover, whatever you have].

So instead of using cash or writing checks when I go out and about, I use my green card and save my checks for writing bills each month. Also having loose cash makes me spend it. If I know that I have to pay off my card in full each month, I'm very careful what I put on my green card.

Vox02 said:
There is a rumour in Barcelona about Police play in Palau Sant Jordi (18,000 capacity).

Vox

You better hope they play more than just one show, or the vast majority of people in that area will not get a ticket, and those that do will pay a huge ticket price.

Allegra said:

If that's true, then they'll be doing arenas.

And I'm all for that! :up:

If there is only going to be 50 shows, that means less than 900,000 people will get to see the Police if its in Arena's, which means most people who want tickets will not get them, and tickets will be very expensive.

I hope the band will play large enough venues or add shows as needed to meet whatever demand is out there, so everyone who wants to see them play has an opportunity to do so.

STING2 said:

You better hope they play more than just one show, or the vast majority of people in that area will not get a ticket, and those that do will pay a huge ticket price.

If they play arenas, I prefer 1/2 shows in Barcelona and 1/2 in Madrid (aprox 60.000 tickets).

It will be interesting if Police play both stadiums and arenas in Europe (like U2 in summer '87), something like this:

-Manchester Evening News Arena (2 shows)

-Wembley Stadium (1-2?)

-Allianz Arena (stadium) (1 night)

-Koln Arena (2 shows).

etc etc

Vox

I think "The Sun" paper is a tabloid British newspaper so I'm not sure about the accuracy of the following article, but here it is:

Police in £150million tour

February 03, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

THE POLICE are on the verge of signing a staggering £150million deal to reform for a US and European Tour.

Top promotor MICHAEL COHL — the man behind the ROLLING STONES’ shows — is fronting up the stonking sum to get STING and old bandmates STUART COPELAND and ANDY SUMMERS back on stage together.

The trio are also considering writing new material to be released alongside a greatest hits compilation.

The comeback marks the 30th anniversary of the band’s first single, Fall Out, hitting the shops.

The rock legends — whose hits include Roxanne, Message In A Bottle and Walking On The Moon — wanted to do something big to celebrate. With that massive multi-million tour deal, they must be walking on air.

An insider said: “The three of them have had their squabbles and differences over the years.

“But they are all older and wiser now and they have decided to put the past behind them.

“The money has, of course, helped them to see sense.”

The Police — who split in 1984 — had already confirmed that they will open this year’s Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11.

They are currently holed up in Vancouver, Canada, rehearsing for the star-studded ceremony.

150 million british pounds at current exchange rate is 295 million US dollars. If this is accurate and the band are playing 50 shows in stadiums, average ticket price will be almost $150 US dollars. If its just 50 arena shows, the average ticket price would have to be around $340 US dollars in order to pay the band this amount as well as pay for the tour!?!?!

STING2 said:
I think "The Sun" paper is a tabloid British newspaper so I'm not sure about the accuracy of the following article, but here it is:

Police in £150million tour

February 03, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

THE POLICE are on the verge of signing a staggering £150million deal to reform for a US and European Tour.

Top promotor MICHAEL COHL — the man behind the ROLLING STONES’ shows — is fronting up the stonking sum to get STING and old bandmates STUART COPELAND and ANDY SUMMERS back on stage together.

The trio are also considering writing new material to be released alongside a greatest hits compilation.

The comeback marks the 30th anniversary of the band’s first single, Fall Out, hitting the shops.

The rock legends — whose hits include Roxanne, Message In A Bottle and Walking On The Moon — wanted to do something big to celebrate. With that massive multi-million tour deal, they must be walking on air.

An insider said: “The three of them have had their squabbles and differences over the years.

“But they are all older and wiser now and they have decided to put the past behind them.

“The money has, of course, helped them to see sense.”

The Police — who split in 1984 — had already confirmed that they will open this year’s Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11.

They are currently holed up in Vancouver, Canada, rehearsing for the star-studded ceremony.

150 million british pounds at current exchange rate is 295 million US dollars. If this is accurate and the band are playing 50 shows in stadiums, average ticket price will be almost $150 US dollars. If its just 50 arena shows, the average ticket price would have to be around $340 US dollars in order to pay the band this amount as well as pay for the tour!?!?!

I forgot to post the link for this article. Here it is:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007050654,00.html

A blurb from www.boston.com today:

The Police may rock Fenway

The reunited rock band The Police is planning concerts this summer at Fenway Park, the Boston Courant will report in its next issue, said David Jacobs, the newspaper's publisher. He said the concerts will be held on July 28 and July 29. Neither the Red Sox nor city officials would comment. The concerts' promoter could not be reached. Previous concerts at Fenway have included performances by the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, and the Dave Matthews Band.

phanan said:
I could see that actually happening - it makes perfect sense. Every year since Springsteen played there, Fenway has hosted one artist's concerts there, and it's usually reserved for the largest touring acts in the U.S. (Springsteen, Stones, Jimmy Buffett, etc.). With U2 seemingly not touring this year, The Police would be the obvious choice.

U2FanPeter said:
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2007/02/05/3530839-sun.html

From Monday morning.

All 3 were spotted together eating dinner on Saturday at the trendiest restaurant in town. That at least a week with them still being on speaking terms.

It also talked about how tight the security is and how the the three of them have constantly changing their hotels.

u2fp

"You boys play nice now" :lol:

You see...they're getting along.

And awww poor babies have to change hotels...well...duh!

They're only one of the biggest news stories right now.

This is way over and above when U2 went to Canada. This is bigger news than U2 and the Stones combined. How HUGE do I have to say this is?

Copeland thought the fans were crazy back in the 80's...he hasn't seen crazy yet :sexywink:

This is way over and above when U2 went to Canada. This is bigger news than U2 and the Stones combined. How HUGE do I have to say this is?

I'd say it's as big of news as having"BENnifer-Lo" here a couple years ago or Bon Jovi and Motley Crue personally inspecting every Vancouver strip club in the late 80's for musical inspiration while recording albums.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

I'd say it's as big of news as having"BENnifer-Lo" here a couple years ago or Bon Jovi and Motley Crue personally inspecting every Vancouver strip club in the late 80's for musical inspiration while recording albums.

u2fp

:lol:

Who wants to go see a taping of Stargate? *crickets*

Who wants to go find The Police? *stampede*

A US and European tour doesn't seem to include Canada. And, if The Police consider Toronto to be Canada, they should take a close look at the city where they are practicing right now.

Also, The Police could perform outdoors. 80,000 fans at one show would not be out of reach for them, methinks.

For those that think they are only doing 50 dates, why are they rehearsing in the tax haven(for their temporary needs) Canada?

They have kept their options open to spend as many days as they need in the US.

u2fp

Chile said:
A US and European tour doesn't seem to include Canada. And, if The Police consider Toronto to be Canada, they should take a close look at the city where they are practicing right now.

Also, The Police could perform outdoors. 80,000 fans at one show would not be out of reach for them, methinks.

According to this article, the tour will open in Vancouver.

Every bite you take: Police spotted at Cin Cin

Stuart Derdeyn, The Province
Published: Monday, February 05, 2007
Naysayers who thought the Police reunion rumours were a ruse were eating crow antipasto when all three members of the U.K. trio sat down for a taste of Tuscany at Cin Cin on Robson Street on Saturday evening.

Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers were joined by a fellow diner, who one reader ID'd as actor Terence Stamp (a sometime local resident) while another said it was Brightlight Pictures exec Shawn Williamson.

The trio has been rehearsing at Lions Gate Studios in North Vancouver since the third week of January in preparation for its first appearance together in 21 years at the Grammy Awards broadcast in Hollywood on Feb. 11.

Major online ticketsellers are booking names for as-yet-unconfirmed dates on the '80s megastars reunion tour in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the release of its first international single "Roxanne."

Expect to see the tour open in Vancouver in April.

One of our sources reports that the highlight of his excellent evening out dining was having a discussion with Gordon Sumner -- a.k.a. Sting -- in the men's room recalling seeing the Police and Thompson Twins back in the day.

No word on whether Sting's response was "Don't stand so close to me."

© The Vancouver Province 2007

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/n...=ff155f29-775d-47f8-bdd5-bfef7a756453&k=42838

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom