The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ??? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #76
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I don't get all the hype about the Police. Sure, I love the classics like Message in a Bottle, King Of Pain, Every Breath etc. I do own that Classics hits CD and one of their albums, Synchronicity. But they don't come off as exceptional or anything to me.
Hmm... I'd check out the rest of their albums, rather than just a Greatest Hits CDs (and Synchronicity). There are a lot of hidden gems on their other CDs - but yeah, as STING2 said, it all depends on personal taste. If you're not really into their sound (reggae-influenced rock), then you probably won't think they're that big of a deal. Not all of their stuff is like that, though.

What I love about The Police is that they were so unique - they pretty much created an entirely new sound that hadn't been done before. A lot of current bands (No Doubt, for example) wouldn't even be around if it weren't for The Police.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #77
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Which included Bono dueting on "Invisible Sun"
I was there.
Lucky! I'm sure that was awesome to see.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
I think its great news that they are reuniting. My first concert ever was The Police. I didnt read through the whole thread. But I wonder if it will be stadiums or arenas or both, is there any rumor on it?

I will definately be going, but getting tickets could be one of those ridiculous ordeals. But I will definately try to go.
I'm not sure what size venues they will be playing or in what countries. Its difficult to determine demand for an artist that has not toured in 23 years. I think this may be the record for the longest time to go without a full concert before reuniting.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceOddity
Hmm... I'd check out the rest of their albums, rather than just a Greatest Hits CDs (and Synchronicity). There are a lot of hidden gems on their other CDs - but yeah, as STING2 said, it all depends on personal taste. If you're not really into their sound (reggae-influenced rock), then you probably won't think they're that big of a deal. Not all of their stuff is like that, though.
Well.. this thread has certainly made me excited to check out other Police albums. Plus I've been listening to Sting & The Police non stop since yesterday.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #80
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 PM
I saw the Sting and Annie Lennox tour too
Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Here is about half of a Police Concert on the Regatta De Blanc Tour. This show was in Hamburg Germany on January 11, 1980 , just three months after the release of the Police's second album, Regatta De Blanc. This was filmed for the German TV program, "Rockpalast".

Sting's voice is a bit hoarse for this show and his bass almost goes out in Walking On the Moon, but it is a good show with the songs performed in slightly different ways than at other shows.

Next To You
Walking On The Moon

Visions Of The Night

Message In A Bottle
Old 01-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #82
Babyface

The reunion tour will kick off May 15 in Barcelona!!!

source: stingus.net
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #83
War Child

Local Time: 03:57 PM
that info has now been removed from stingus.net

drats!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This show is the Gateshead stadium show near Newcastle England on July 31, 1982 on the Ghost In The Machine Tour. U2 opened for the Police at this show. Bono came out and sang backing vocals on Invisible Sun.

These particular clips posted on Youtube come from a mix of the show done in Japan in which a keyboard parts normaly in the background somehow got very high in the mix and unfortunately for some songs ocassionally is louder than the band. Still, this is a really good show and 8 songs from it have been posted on youtube. The Japanese and Korean DVD is good, but if you can get the original that was broadcast in the United Kingdom, thats better because the keyboard mix problem is not there.

Fantastic versions of "Bring On The Night" and "Driven To Tears"!

Message In A Bottle
The Beds To Big Without You

Driven To Tears

Don't Stand So Close To Me
Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Police only played one show in Mexico while they were a band. Amazingly, there a few clips of this show up on youtube. The Police played there on November 15, 1980 near the start of the Zenyatta Mondatta Tour. They played the "Grand Ballroom" on the top floor of the "Hotel De Mexico" in Mexico City. Here is a qoute from Andy Summers about this show:

Andy: "We played in a strange place. It was in a sort of a new hotel and we played on the 20th floor. It was very expensive to get in. We played on a very sort of dangerous stage. It was falling apart as we played. Everyone went so crazy. We thought the whole stage would fall apart. It was good fun" ("Mexico FM"; 12-1990).

The Beds To Big Without You

Here is a 1 minute clip that looks to be some sort of advertisement for a video of the show, with a pic of the band standing outside one of the aztec temples tacked on to the end.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelnumb84
that info has now been removed from stingus.net

drats!
But they have some other interesting information!

"For those doubting, The Police reunion WILL go ahead however. More then 60 dates are to be made known soon."

http://www.stingus.net/

If the above is true, it appears they could be going for a full scale world tour.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #88
She's the One

Local Time: 12:57 PM
"stingus" is an unfortunate name for a website.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ???

Quote:
Originally posted by U2ITNOL
According to U2's stage manager Rocko Reedy, The Police are reuniting for a tour in 2007! I've been sitting on this for a week now. Hope I don't get anyone in trouble by posting this! I was a huge Police fan back in high school before I got into U2, so it's been tough to keep this under wraps!

Here's the scoop...

I carpooled to and from the U2 concert in Honolulu last Saturday with Mandi and a group of her friends. I met Mandi in Chicago during Elevation and again in Hawaii back in April. We all met up at Wailana Coffee House in Honolulu early Sunday morning after the concert. One of Mandi's friends, her name is Nico, works in the music business and knows Rocko. She had some big news to tell us. Nico ran into Rocko last Saturday and talked with him for a little while. She asked him what his plans were now that the U2 tour was ending. Rocko said he'd find another band's tour to work next year. Then he dropped the bombshell. Rocko told her he's already been approached to work The Police reunion tour next year! That's pretty much all I know. Didn't hear any more details as to when this tour is supposed to start, where they'll be playing. And why they decided to reunite. This definitely came as a shock as I was under the impression those guys still don't get along very well. I remember reading an interview with Stewart or Andy saying a Police reunion would never happen. Expecting them to record another album together might be out of the question with the egos involved, but perhaps they could pull off a tour.
As big a Police fan as I was back in high school, I never did get to see them perform live in concert. Perhaps I'll finally get my chance next year! I'll be cautiously optimistic until I hear some official announcement made.
These rumors have now been on CNN, NBC, Yahoo, and numerous other media outlets and websites. The funny thing is, your post here was the first one on the rumor and perhaps responsible for the whole worldwide frenzy now.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Police Reunion Buzz Builds
Updated 01:36 PST Fri, Jan 05 2007
The rumor mill is cranked up to full volume on the subject of a long awaited Police reunion for 2007. According to the British tabloid press, the band is planning to reunite for a U.S. and U.K. tour to commemorate their 30th anniversary.
Of course, the tabloids also allege that rehearsal dates have been planned, tour dates are being finalized for May and June, and a formal announcement is looming.
Calls by Pollstar to various sources resulted in no new information or even confirmation of the rumors. However, the following nebulous message attributed to a spokesperson at Interscope Geffen A&M Records, the band's label, was posted January 3 on Sting's web site:
"As the 30th anniversary of the first Police single approaches, discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated. While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band's involvement still remains undetermined."

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=7557