The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ??? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Just because Rocco was put on salary for the next 6 months, doesn't mean it's a given that the tour will actually happen.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:27 PM
i guess sting's latest attempt to recreate himself as a midevil songstress wasn't payin' the bills

Old 12-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:27 AM
interesting... I went over to the StingUS.net message forums to see if there was any talk over there about a Police reunion tour. And whaddayouknow, there's a new thread there about a Police reunion tour in 2007.

http://www.stingus.net/forum/threads...=3296_0_13_0_C

According to the original poster on the thread, the German Viva music channel reported on 12/21 that The Police will tour in 2007. The tour will be named The Last Goodbye Tour. Of course, nothing is official. I find it funny that most of the replies on that thread either don't believe the rumor or are totally against the idea of a Police reunion.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 AM   #34
Acrobat

It's sure looking like it's going to happen. But according to this article The Police are only going to play a few dates in the UK??!!! arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!! What's with these bands reuniting but only touring in Europe? I read a while back that Genesis are getting back together for a tour in 2007, but only playing in the UK. And now The Police may only be playing the UK next summer. There are going to be a lot of disppointed Police fans here in the US if they don't bring their tour across the pond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1766&ito=1490

Quote:
Police fans may soon be walking on the moon again
By JAMES TAPPER, Mail on Sunday

Sting is in talks to re-form The Police and tour with the group - 30 years after they were formed.

The band, who rank alongside The Rolling Stones and The Beatles among the greats of rock, are considering playing a series of dates in the UK next summer.

Consisting of Sting on bass and vocals, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers, the group have been in discussions for months.

They became one of the biggest bands of the Eighties with hits including Walking On The Moon, Every Breath You Take, Don't Stand So Close To Me and Message In A Bottle.

News that they are re-forming will surprise fans as Sting, 55, has always resolutely opposed the move in the past.

Sources say rehearsals have been pencilled in to take place before Sting begins the February leg of his latest European tour and after Copeland has finished his stint as a judge in the BBC celebrity duet show Just The Two Of Us.

The record label, A&M, is believed to be planning a special anniversary release in June and the tour dates would coincide with that.

A source said: 'They were intending to announce it in January after all the tour dates had been finalised.

'They are speaking to venues about booking dates in May and June. Everyone who knows about it is incredibly excited because they were a legendary band.'

A spokeswoman for A&M confirmed discussions had taken place but denied there were any firm dates for concerts.

She said: 'Next year is the 30th anniversary of the release of Roxanne, the first Police single. It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalogue of songs.

'Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided.'

Miles Copeland, the former manager of The Police and brother of Stewart, said: 'It's the 30th anniversary and there has been mention of this for some time, but I can't comment.'

Stewart formed The Police in 1977 with Sting. Miles recognised the power of their blend of pop, punk and reggae and got them a record deal when he heard Roxanne, the first of many worldwide hits.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #35
War Child

While this article does mention UK dates, it in no way rules out Police dates in the USA, or anywhere else for that matter.
Regarding Genesis, they are playing all over Europe, not just the UK...and I believe that they are still planning to do US arenas in the fall.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Also note that the articles implies some Police reissues.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:45 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Man if I could see them on tour I think that would be the best orgasm ever

I was obsessed with The Police long before I became obsessed with U2
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #38
Acrobat

It will be fascinating if this actually happens. I really do wonder why Sting's changed his mind, after being so prickly about it for all these years. It's not like he needs any more money - since he's already rolling in it - and he's never struck me as the money-hungry type.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #39
gmc
Refugee

The first Police single released was "Fall Out b/w Nothing Achieving",so that spokesperson in the Mail article is talking through their bum.That was in 1977,so the 30 years bit is right.

I wonder if Stewart Copleand has still got "Fuck You" (directed at Sting) written on his tom-toms?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #40
Refugee

Billboard.com just posted this article about the proposed upcoming tour:

Police Reunion Rumors Reaching Fever Pitch

January 03, 2007, 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the legendary trio's first since disbanding in 1986. Sources tell Billboard.com the reports are legitimate but would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States. In a statement issued last month, A&M Records said, "It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalogue of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued on past its 1983 commercial peak with "Synchronicity."

"The more rational approach would have been, 'OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let's get back together in two or three years,'" he said. "I'm certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn't to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour. We snuck out the back door, which is what we were told to do, until it just became too frustrating to lie about it."

"I'm very keen on it," Copeland told Billboard.com of a potential reunion, the day after the Rock Hall induction. "But I absolutely understand why it's not going to happen and I'm down with that. It was really great to be the Police for 15 minutes. If you can think of some other award we can go get or some other good reason, give me a call, and I'll try it out!"

In 2001, Copeland excitedly told Billboard about "one piece of unreleased Police product" which he hoped would eventually see the light of day.

"One of the times when they were working on the box set or something like that, they convened the three of us on the phone. Sting and Andy were in Italy; Andy was visiting Sting at the time, and I was on a DSL line in L.A.," he recalled. "And we went down all the song titles from all of our albums. Song title: 'Can't Stand Losing You.' And we each just talked about the track and argued and shouted and screamed. There was laughter and tears. It was very cathartic. It was almost like a therapy session. It was hysterical. It was so much fun."

"We were really going at it with all the language, straight for the jugular, refighting the battles, laughing hysterically while we put the stiletto exactly where we stuck it last time," he continued. "The engineer said it was like watching a concert. They were in Italy and it's like after dinner, and I'm here in L.A. at 10 in the morning. I'm getting more and more caffeinated as they're getting drunker and drunker."

"It seems like we're in contact all the time, but actually, years go by," Copeland said of his ongoing relationship with Summers and Sting. "It's sort of like whenever we see each other, it's like we saw each other five minutes ago. We don't have any sensation of time going by. We don't pick up the phone every week, but when we do, we pick up from where we left off."
Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Halup
Billboard.com just posted this article about the proposed upcoming tour:

Police Reunion Rumors Reaching Fever Pitch

January 03, 2007, 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the legendary trio's first since disbanding in 1986. Sources tell Billboard.com the reports are legitimate but would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States. In a statement issued last month, A&M Records said, "It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalogue of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued on past its 1983 commercial peak with "Synchronicity."

"The more rational approach would have been, 'OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let's get back together in two or three years,'" he said. "I'm certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn't to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour. We snuck out the back door, which is what we were told to do, until it just became too frustrating to lie about it."

"I'm very keen on it," Copeland told Billboard.com of a potential reunion, the day after the Rock Hall induction. "But I absolutely understand why it's not going to happen and I'm down with that. It was really great to be the Police for 15 minutes. If you can think of some other award we can go get or some other good reason, give me a call, and I'll try it out!"

In 2001, Copeland excitedly told Billboard about "one piece of unreleased Police product" which he hoped would eventually see the light of day.

"One of the times when they were working on the box set or something like that, they convened the three of us on the phone. Sting and Andy were in Italy; Andy was visiting Sting at the time, and I was on a DSL line in L.A.," he recalled. "And we went down all the song titles from all of our albums. Song title: 'Can't Stand Losing You.' And we each just talked about the track and argued and shouted and screamed. There was laughter and tears. It was very cathartic. It was almost like a therapy session. It was hysterical. It was so much fun."

"We were really going at it with all the language, straight for the jugular, refighting the battles, laughing hysterically while we put the stiletto exactly where we stuck it last time," he continued. "The engineer said it was like watching a concert. They were in Italy and it's like after dinner, and I'm here in L.A. at 10 in the morning. I'm getting more and more caffeinated as they're getting drunker and drunker."

"It seems like we're in contact all the time, but actually, years go by," Copeland said of his ongoing relationship with Summers and Sting. "It's sort of like whenever we see each other, it's like we saw each other five minutes ago. We don't have any sensation of time going by. We don't pick up the phone every week, but when we do, we pick up from where we left off."
Here is the link for that article:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003527290
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

A reunion would be fantabulous
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The following songs are from a Police show in Montreal on the Synchronicity tour. The show as on August 2, 1983 at a club called the Spectrum. It was the first Police club show in Canada since 1979 and took place the day before the Police played Montreal's OLYMPIC STADIUM or the "BIG O" as locals call it. Tickets to the club show were free and could only be obtained by identifying obscure snippets of songs on the radio. The band played a shorter show than normal, and it was filmed for international pay TV, as well as Showtime in the USA. Crowd footage from this club show is actually used in the Syncrhonicity Concert VHS/DVD which took place at Atlanta's Omni Arena.

The songs sound a little different from the Synchronicity Concert DVD which was filmed at the Omni Arena on November 2-3, 1983, about mid way through the tour. This show was on August 2, 1983 and the tour had just started on July 23, 1983 at Comiskey Park in Chicago. The tempo of some songs is a tad slower and the band sound a little "stiff" on some of them, normal with the start of a tour, but Sting's voice sounds a little better than on the show in Atlanta, and Andy Summers Guitar is higher in the mix. There are other small differences which many will notice as well. Its a great show with some fantastic footage of the band:

Synchronicity 1
Walking In Your Footsteps + interview

Wrapped Around Your Finger

Spirits In The Material World

EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE

Can't Stand Losing You

So Lonely