The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ??? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Here is the latest on the reunion from Fox News.

The Police to Perform Surprise Gig at 2007 Grammys
Monday, January 29, 2007

By Roger Friedman

The Police to Perform Surprise Gig at 2007 Grammys

It's all over the Canadian papers, and Hitsdailydouble.com broke the news late Friday about something I've known for a couple of weeks: The Police are secretly rehearsing in Vancouver for a major, as-yet-unannounced appearance on the 2007 Grammy Awards.

It's true, although there is no official word. But when CBS' live signal goes to the Staples Center on Feb. 11, director Ken Ehrlich will have scored a coup: The Police will appear and sing most likely one of three songs: "Every Breath You Take," "Message in a Bottle" or "Roxanne."

And — surprise of surprises — this should guarantee an announcement forthcoming of a huge North American tour, followed by dates in Europe, all beginning in late spring.

But the group will not, I repeat will not, appear at either the Coachella or Glastonbury festivals. There have been rumors to that effect, but my sources say they are untrue.

What is curious about this is all the excitement. It should be very encouraging to Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland that, after 25 years, news of their reunion is causing a stir. It's possible that the renewed Police on tour would be the highest-grossing road show of all time, surpassing The Rolling Stones and even Paul McCartney's recent top-selling tours.

The big questions now are: Who will open for The Police, and will it be one group or many divided among different regions? Names being bandied about are The Fray, Evanescence and even Virgin's The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. But don't be surprised if Fiction Plane, the hot group piloted by Sting's son Joe Sumner, gets a slot or two as well.

As for the Grammys, opening with The Police is a brilliant move, and should energize a show that has some obstacles.

For one thing, both Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen wound up in the folk category this year instead of Album of the Year. For the first time, we may see that folk category televised if only to get two of music's heroes on screen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,248040,00.html

Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #167
War Child

Local Time: 10:46 PM
They should do what the Stones did a couple years ago and play different sized venues in each major city.
For example:
NYC: Yankee Stadium, MSG, Irving Plaza
Boston: Gillette Stadium, TD Banknorth Garden, Avalon
etc...
and smaller cities would get at least an arena show.
I agree with the above article that this will rival the Stones in attendance and dollar figures.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

One rumour had them playingThe Red Sox baseball Stadium(I'm drawingt a blank on the name - it's got the "green monster")

edit: Fenway Park

They are playing Stadiums in Europe and Arenas in North America. They may do a a festival here or there and maybe Stadiums in the southern hemisphere.

u2fp
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
One rumour had them playingThe Red Sox baseball Stadium(I'm drawingt a blank on the name - it's got the "green monster")

edit: Fenway Park

They are playing Stadiums in Europe and Arenas in North America. They may do a a festival here or there and maybe Stadiums in the southern hemisphere.

u2fp
Is that what you believe will happen, or is this information provided by a certain source?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

I could see that actually happening - it makes perfect sense. Every year since Springsteen played there, Fenway has hosted one artist's concerts there, and it's usually reserved for the largest touring acts in the U.S. (Springsteen, Stones, Jimmy Buffett, etc.). With U2 seemingly not touring this year, The Police would be the obvious choice.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm curious what ticket prices are going to be like. If I had to guess I would think they would do arenas in N. America. If they do that though they will have to play many nights at the same venue like U2 does, which I could see them doing. But it does make touring more of a grind to some bands. Lets hope this tour makes it to the end!

The train wreck tour this summer is going to be Van Halen with David Lee Roth. If that makes it all the way through without an implosion I will be shocked.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Is that what you believe will happen, or is this information provided by a certain source?
we'll know if i'm full of shit or not in about 2 weeks

BTW, I've heard from a friend that drove by the studios and there have been several photographers with telescopic lenses camped outfront. Aside from the limos entering, outsiders don't seem to have seen anything.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think he was asking if you knew this for a fact from some type of source. I dont think he was trying to challenge you.

Its not a huge deal anyway IMO.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
I think he was asking if you knew this for a fact from some type of source.
One thing I find quite weird about the entire Police subject is that the "fact" is that Sting has been seen and heard in Vancouver. The rest is educated speculation.

It may well be possible that Sting has yet to sign any documents and could still walk away like he did in 2004.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
I'm curious what ticket prices are going to be like. If I had to guess I would think they would do arenas in N. America. If they do that though they will have to play many nights at the same venue like U2 does, which I could see them doing. But it does make touring more of a grind to some bands. Lets hope this tour makes it to the end!

The train wreck tour this summer is going to be Van Halen with David Lee Roth. If that makes it all the way through without an implosion I will be shocked.

i totally agree with ya in regards to VH. I think the whole VH reunion is a complete joke. I would be surprised too if their tour made it thru the summer.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

The rumor I heard by some promoter in Canada is that the tour will be shorter than 80 shows. This person said 3 to 4 months which sounds like maybe 50 shows worldwide. If that is the case, there may only be 20 Arena shows for all of North America. Imagine 5 Arena shows in Canada, 2 in Mexico, 13 in the United States. Imagine the difficulty in getting tickets for just ONE arena show each in cities like, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC, LA, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, Detroit.

I can see thousands of fans getting shut out in a situation like that with the supply of tickets not meeting the demand and scalpers getting a good chunk of the tickets and charging hundreds of dollars for each.

Determining the demand to see a band that has not toured in 23 years is not easy, but I hope the bands management will be booking the tour in a way that will allow all the fans that really want to see the band a fair opportunity to.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 AM   #177
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:46 PM
OK, so, any chance The Police will make it down to Australia? My girlfriend and I would certainly be at any Melbourne concert they play.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

It's official for the Grammys.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...eut/index.html
Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
It's official for the Grammys.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...eut/index.html
OMG! A reason to watch the Grammys!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #180
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

OMG! A reason to watch the Grammys!

Damnit, I thought I was going to be able to escape that debacle this year.

At least they're opening it.