THE POLICE: nominated for 2003 Rock Hall of Fame!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Police are among 15 nominees for this coming year's 2003 Rock Hall Of Fame. About 7 of the nominees will be inducted in December. The official celebration with performances will be in the Spring. This is the first time the Police have been nominated and the first year they were eligible. Other nominees this year include The Clash, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, ABBA, Chic, Kraftwerk, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, The Dells, MC5, The Righteous Brothers, The Patti Smith Group, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Steve Winwood.

The Police and the Clash are the only artist that are considered to be a lock for this year's inductees. Perhaps we will see the first Police performance in public since June 15, 1986 at GIANTS STADIUM, sometime in the spring of 2003 at the awards. Sting is currently about to go into the studio to record a new album which should come out sometime next year.

Perhaps we'll get to see a fist fight between Sting and Stewart as well.
I saw the Giants's Stadium performance.
Wonder who'll induct them?
(And WTF does ABBA have to do with Rock and Roll?)

hehe...my choice seven (if i were the decisive vote, haha)

1. the police
2. the clash
3. elvis costello and the attractions
4. chic
5. black sabbath
6. the patti smith group
7. steve winwood

...whatever, so long as lynyrd synyrd (i know i'll get flamed for this) don't get inducted! :no:

Hey Hewson, where were your seats for that Giants Stadium performance? I have that show on video tape.

Elvis Costello and The Clash deserve this 10 billion times as much as The Police, who aren't Hall of Fame material. But EC and the Clash are two of the most important artists of the 20th century.

I have everything by the Police in addition to 10 boots. I have everything by the Clash in addition to a few concerts. I like both of them but in my opinion the Police are better. I have no idea where you get off saying that one is 10 billion times better than the other or that the Police are not hall of fame material, certainly a minority opinion there. After U2, the Police are my favorite band. I'm happy that they will be recognized by the Hall of Fame most likely in their first year of nomination!

I did not say that "one is 10 billion times better than the other." I said the Clash deserve it 10 billion times more (although the Clash, in my view, is also the far superior band.) In terms of which band contributed more to the development of music and which was more visionary, the bands are in completely different leagues. There is simply no comparison.

That said, I think Elvis Costello trumps them both.

mug222 said:
I did not say that "one is 10 billion times better than the other." I said the Clash deserve it 10 billion times more (although the Clash, in my view, is also the far superior band.) In terms of which band contributed more to the development of music and which was more visionary, the bands are in completely different leagues. There is simply no comparison.
true. :)

i'm just glad both bands are very likely to be inducted in 2003! :D

I'll send an SOS to the world...

Hewson said:
Perhaps we'll get to see a fist fight between Sting and Stewart as well.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Police rule...I hope they get in.

police.jpg

Last edited:
Mug22,

I understood what you said, I still feel the Police deserve it more. A poll of 500 musicians on VH1 rated the Police higher than the Clash or Elvis Costello, but thats still just a colective opinion. I love both, but the Police are my favorite after U2. Most media see the Police as this year's frontrunner, but will see what happens. Not everyone gets in the first year they are nominated. But 7 out of the 15 nominees will be inducted this year, which means The Police, Elvis Costello, and the Clash should all get in.

KhanadaRhodes said:
hehe...my choice seven (if i were the decisive vote, haha)

1. the police
2. the clash
3. elvis costello and the attractions
4. chic
5. black sabbath
6. the patti smith group
7. steve winwood

...whatever, so long as lynyrd synyrd (i know i'll get flamed for this) don't get inducted! :no:

well, not flamed but... what have you got against Skynyrd? Great band, certainly worthy of induction.

STING2 said:
Hey Hewson, where were your seats for that Giants Stadium performance? I have that show on video tape.
Completely crappy seats...at the other end of the stadium (I have the stub at home, don't remember exact section), but I doubt I made any audience shots on MTV from where I was.

Zooropa said:
well, not flamed but... what have you got against Skynyrd? Great band, certainly worthy of induction.
i don't like them, and i kinda put them in the same category as i do abba (of this year's inductees), where i don't see them as rock and roll, but rather a rock/country hybrid. although abba...ehh...disco rock? :laugh:

The Police are definately a band that deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Cant wait for U2, The Smiths, and REM to be put in also!!

The word now is that U2 will be nominated this time next year(2003) and inducted in the Spring of 2004! Their considering U2-3 released in 1979 to be U2s first release. Their hall of fame induction should coinside with the start of the next tour in Spring 2004!

YES! YES! YES! Police in the Rock Hall of Fame all the way! And a reunion would be great too (though I'm not as hung up on that idea as many Police fans seem to be. Maybe because I like Sting's solo music even more than the Police.)

And Sting has started working on new material? YES! YES! YES!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

This is great news!! :dance::dance::dance: The Police were one hell of a band. I doubt however that they will reunite to play at the awards show, but if they did it's something definitely not to miss. I'd also like to see The Clash inducted. Great band.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i don't like them, and i kinda put them in the same category as i do abba (of this year's inductees), where i don't see them as rock and roll, but rather a rock/country hybrid. although abba...ehh...disco rock? :laugh:

While they certainly had Country leanings, they weren't a "country rock" band. Just take a listen to "one more from the road" and you'll know what i mean.

:)

I could see Bono doing the inducting for the police....but probably someone else....

I think they will perform at the show....after all, cream performed when they were inducted.

who will induct u2?????

stipe.....vedder......hmmmm:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom