The Police @ Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
I'm thinking it might help for each Live Earth band to have their own performance thread...

(so this is for Philly26)

"Did the Police butcher "Roxanne"?"

I agree with whoever said it wasn't butchered, but was too long...

...thought it was interesting to see them joined by John Mayer and Kanye West at the end for "Message in a Bottle."

...was surprised to see Mayer take lead guitar from Summers, and think West could've done a better job collaborating with the Police, but it was interesting at least...

Their current version of Roxanne is pretty darned similar to the version Sting was going in his solo concerts in the 90s (I haven't seen him since 1999 or so, so I don't know if he's still doing it that way).

Having seen that version before, I'd kind of hoped they'd go back to more of the original version. Otherwise it's like a Sting concert, not a Police concert.

They played well, but it was very dull. Too much wanking around...they could have played 7 songs like Roger Waters did instead of 4-5. :down:

But Sting is in great voice at least. :up:

I thought they were terribly boring.

I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is! :huh:

GibsonGirl said:
I thought they were terribly boring.

I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is! :huh:

GG, loving your avatar. :D

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me" :love:

"I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!"

I won't start any that I'm not interested in following, I've just noticed how frequently threads get sidetracked, and with an event as huge as Live Earth, that seems basically inevitable (even more than usual) ;)

How can an event in which hundreds of bands participated on all seven continents be contained in one thread???

As always, if it you don't want to read a thread, you don't have to open it. If there's something you'd rather discuss, start a thread on that. There are so many sub-forums here, I don't think this suggestion is in danger of ruining anything.

LemonMelon said:

GG, loving your avatar. :D

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me" :love:

:D :love:

It's even better when he does it at his shows, because us diehards know it's coming up and we all point at our heads at the same time.

dr. zooeuss said:
"I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!"

I won't start any that I'm not interested in following, I've just noticed how frequently threads get sidetracked, and with an event as huge as Live Earth, that seems basically inevitable (even more than usual) ;)

How can an event in which hundreds of bands participated on all seven continents be contained in one thread???

As always, if it you don't want to read a thread, you don't have to open it. If there's something you'd rather discuss, start a thread on that. There are so many sub-forums here, I don't think this suggestion is in danger of ruining anything.

I don't know, yesterday's Live Earth thread seemed to go just fine. :shrug: Everyone discussed each performance as it went along, no getting side-tracked really. And every time when we did get slightly side-tracked, it was all relevant to the performers at Live Earth.

GibsonGirl said:

:D :love:

It's even better when he does it at his shows, because us diehards know it's coming up and we all point at our heads at the same time.

Do you all point at him when he goes:

"Hey you! Stand still laddy!"

:rockon:

Dullest heavily hyped reunion ever. :yawn:

Wake me when they play "Walking In Your Footsteps" with a giant inflatable brontosaurus.

Thanks, GibsonGirl.

Glad it worked for yesterday, but not all of us were here to discuss it "in real time."

It doesn't really seem worth debating. If no one's interested today, the thread will sink soon enough.

cheers.

GibsonGirl said:

Too many threads will increase global warming :sad:

I didn't watch any of Live Earth. It really didn't interest me. Global warming is certainly a problem, but I don't think a one-day concert was the way to address it. They claimed it was eco-friendly, but there was still the exhaust from the buses people took to get there and garbage from the things they ate and drank all day and trucks moving the equipment in and out.

Why not gather a handful of acts and do a much smaller festival-type tour that has tents and stands where people can educate concert goers about things they can realistically do to help the environment and slow global warming? They could take it to college campuses, and keep track of how students make changes over six months or a year. Something longer term. I have a hard time believing that one day of concerts will really change anything.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Too many threads will increase global warming :sad:

I didn't watch any of Live Earth. It really didn't interest me. Global warming is certainly a problem, but I don't think a one-day concert was the way to address it. They claimed it was eco-friendly, but there was still the exhaust from the buses people took to get there and garbage from the things they ate and drank all day and trucks moving the equipment in and out.

Why not gather a handful of acts and do a much smaller festival-type tour that has tents and stands where people can educate concert goers about things they can realistically do to help the environment and slow global warming? They could take it to college campuses, and keep track of how students make changes over six months or a year. Something longer term. I have a hard time believing that one day of concerts will really change anything.

Because that doesn't make ad revenue dollars for GE / NBC-Universal?

Sorry. This current reunion of The Police could never match the energy the band had in the late 70s/early 80s. Anyone expecting to see the same band this time around will be disappointed.

Jesus...is Andy even alive when he plays?

LemonMacPhisto said:

Do you all point at him when he goes:

"Hey you! Stand still laddy!"

:rockon:

YES! :lol: That's one of the best parts, especially when you're on the floor! He points at us and we point at him, shouting that line in unison. It's so much fun.

The best example I can find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bVDV7qQ3D4

It's a pity the lights are out for that part at the beginning. You can see it during the "HEY! TEACHER!" part though. A whole Barcelona audience pointing at Roger while he points back. I got a great shot of Roger pointing. Not during Happiest Days though, during Sheep: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/dysprosium2005/Roger Ottawa/?action=view&current=IMG_0824.jpg

You better watch out! There may be dogs about!

Originally posted by The OOTS

He looks more robotic than Keith Richards, if that's even possible.

I loved their performance, but Roxanne did go on too long and Kanye West screwed up Message in a Bottle which should have been the highlight of the event.

Sting sounded awesome, he always has but he's reallky rocking now which you don't always here from him solo.

The OOTS said:
Sorry. This current reunion of The Police could never match the energy the band had in the late 70s/early 80s. Anyone expecting to see the same band this time around will be disappointed.

:yes: I think this reunion is 7-10 years too late. Sting has mellowed down way too much. Years of playing jazz concerts has turned Andy into a motionless robot. Then you have Stewart who seems to have lost a step in his drumming. The chemistry and passion isn't there anymore. Compare the pleasure and playfulness of Roger Waters to The Police. Also the setlist for The Police was so predictable that it took the energy out of the performance for me. With Roger you knew there would be a couple nice surprises. The only surprise in The Police set was Kanye West. :barf:

On an unrelated note, my favorite part of Live Earth was after Roger's set when a couple MTV VJ's mentioned the "Save our Sausages" on the pig. They giggled and said it was odd while clearly not understanding it. In fact they didn't seem to know who he was at first. :lol:

GibsonGirl said:

YES! :lol: That's one of the best parts, especially when you're on the floor! He points at us and we point at him, shouting that line in unison. It's so much fun.

It's a pity the lights are out for that part at the beginning. You can see it during the "HEY! TEACHER!" part though. A whole Barcelona audience pointing at Roger while he points back. I got a great shot of Roger pointing. Not during Happiest Days though, during Sheep: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/dysprosium2005/Roger Ottawa/?action=view&current=IMG_0824.jpg

I'm loving the veiny-neck action. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

wow :heart:

the crowd looks alive!! :drool:

Roger really impressed me yesterday :wink:

It was all downhill after Roger :wink:.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Did Live 8 solve African poverty, or was it even a success? Perhaps people had too high expectations of what it would do. I believe they purchased carbon credits to offset the power usage. The funds from Live Earth will be used for a 3 year educational campaign, among other things.

ntalwar said:
Did Live 8 solve African poverty, or was it even a success? Perhaps people had too high expectations of what it would do. I believe they purchased carbon credits to offset the power usage. The funds from Live Earth will be used for a 3 year educational campaign, among other things.

I think the difference between Live 8 and Live Earth is that Live 8 didn't do anything to potentially harm Africans. While I admire the passion Al Gore has for raising awareness about environmental issues (did I just use passion and Al Gore in the same sentence? :ohmy: ), I just really feel the whole event was sort of wrong-headed. Even if they were able to offset the power usage, they certainly didn't improve the environment by bringing people together for these concerts.

It's good to know that the money raised will go to continued efforts to educate people about issues surrounding global warming. I think these big charity concerts only work if they move beyond that one day. Otherwise, the majority of people attend the concert or watch it on TV, maybe think about the issue behind it for a day or two, then go back to the way they'd been doing things before.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I think the difference between Live 8 and Live Earth is that Live 8 didn't do anything to potentially harm Africans. While I admire the passion Al Gore has for raising awareness about environmental issues (did I just use passion and Al Gore in the same sentence? :ohmy: ), I just really feel the whole event was sort of wrong-headed. Even if they were able to offset the power usage, they certainly didn't improve the environment by bringing people together for these concerts.

Interestingly, global warming is a huge threat to Africa (and is already having negative effects), so Live 8 concerts did have a detrimental impact. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's a good alternative to the concerts in terms of generating publicity (and money). I think 2 billion people or something were supposed to tune in.

What exactly is awareness supposed to do?

I'm pretty sure everybody is already aware of the global warming debate, and is already pretty firm in their opinions on the matter. I don't see how a concert would change much.

Dusty Bottoms said:
What exactly is awareness supposed to do?

I'm pretty sure everybody is already aware of the global warming debate, and is already pretty firm in their opinions on the matter. I don't see how a concert would change much.

At Thursday’s announcement in New York City, Gore, Wall and Zoi all signed Live Earth’s 7-point pledge on the climate crisis:

• To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next 2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90% in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth;

• To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become “carbon neutral;”

• To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2;

• To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;

• To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;

• To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests; and,

• To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and prosperous world for the 21st century.

I think the Police were really good. I watched a performance of theirs during Conspiracy of Hope tour and though Sting jumped around more, the actually level of musicianship was much higher during last nights performance. In my humble opinion, of course.

Back
Top Bottom