The Police @ Live Earth - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:30 AM
The Police @ Live Earth

I'm thinking it might help for each Live Earth band to have their own performance thread...

(so this is for Philly26)

"Did the Police butcher "Roxanne"?"

I agree with whoever said it wasn't butchered, but was too long...

...thought it was interesting to see them joined by John Mayer and Kanye West at the end for "Message in a Bottle."

...was surprised to see Mayer take lead guitar from Summers, and think West could've done a better job collaborating with the Police, but it was interesting at least...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Their current version of Roxanne is pretty darned similar to the version Sting was going in his solo concerts in the 90s (I haven't seen him since 1999 or so, so I don't know if he's still doing it that way).

Having seen that version before, I'd kind of hoped they'd go back to more of the original version. Otherwise it's like a Sting concert, not a Police concert.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
The Male

They played well, but it was very dull. Too much wanking around...they could have played 7 songs like Roger Waters did instead of 4-5.

But Sting is in great voice at least.

Now.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:30 AM
I thought they were terribly boring.

I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I thought they were terribly boring.

I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!
GG, loving your avatar.

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me"
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
War Child

"I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!"

I won't start any that I'm not interested in following, I've just noticed how frequently threads get sidetracked, and with an event as huge as Live Earth, that seems basically inevitable (even more than usual)

How can an event in which hundreds of bands participated on all seven continents be contained in one thread???

As always, if it you don't want to read a thread, you don't have to open it. If there's something you'd rather discuss, start a thread on that. There are so many sub-forums here, I don't think this suggestion is in danger of ruining anything.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

GG, loving your avatar.

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me"

It's even better when he does it at his shows, because us diehards know it's coming up and we all point at our heads at the same time.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by dr. zooeuss
"I also think it's completely unnecessary to give each Live Earth band their own thread. There's too many Live Earth threads as it is!"

I won't start any that I'm not interested in following, I've just noticed how frequently threads get sidetracked, and with an event as huge as Live Earth, that seems basically inevitable (even more than usual)

How can an event in which hundreds of bands participated on all seven continents be contained in one thread???

As always, if it you don't want to read a thread, you don't have to open it. If there's something you'd rather discuss, start a thread on that. There are so many sub-forums here, I don't think this suggestion is in danger of ruining anything.
I don't know, yesterday's Live Earth thread seemed to go just fine. Everyone discussed each performance as it went along, no getting side-tracked really. And every time when we did get slightly side-tracked, it was all relevant to the performers at Live Earth.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:

It's even better when he does it at his shows, because us diehards know it's coming up and we all point at our heads at the same time.
Do you all point at him when he goes:

"Hey you! Stand still laddy!"

Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Dullest heavily hyped reunion ever.

Wake me when they play "Walking In Your Footsteps" with a giant inflatable brontosaurus.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
War Child

Thanks, GibsonGirl.

Glad it worked for yesterday, but not all of us were here to discuss it "in real time."

It doesn't really seem worth debating. If no one's interested today, the thread will sink soon enough.

cheers.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
War Child

Roger Waters...?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Too many threads will increase global warming

I didn't watch any of Live Earth. It really didn't interest me. Global warming is certainly a problem, but I don't think a one-day concert was the way to address it. They claimed it was eco-friendly, but there was still the exhaust from the buses people took to get there and garbage from the things they ate and drank all day and trucks moving the equipment in and out.

Why not gather a handful of acts and do a much smaller festival-type tour that has tents and stands where people can educate concert goers about things they can realistically do to help the environment and slow global warming? They could take it to college campuses, and keep track of how students make changes over six months or a year. Something longer term. I have a hard time believing that one day of concerts will really change anything.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse

Too many threads will increase global warming

I didn't watch any of Live Earth. It really didn't interest me. Global warming is certainly a problem, but I don't think a one-day concert was the way to address it. They claimed it was eco-friendly, but there was still the exhaust from the buses people took to get there and garbage from the things they ate and drank all day and trucks moving the equipment in and out.

Why not gather a handful of acts and do a much smaller festival-type tour that has tents and stands where people can educate concert goers about things they can realistically do to help the environment and slow global warming? They could take it to college campuses, and keep track of how students make changes over six months or a year. Something longer term. I have a hard time believing that one day of concerts will really change anything.
Because that doesn't make ad revenue dollars for GE / NBC-Universal?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 04:30 AM
Sorry. This current reunion of The Police could never match the energy the band had in the late 70s/early 80s. Anyone expecting to see the same band this time around will be disappointed.

Jesus...is Andy even alive when he plays?