The Police Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
They were fuckin awesome. And if it wasn't for Sting's arrogance, we'd have them back.

Best thing about The Police? Terrific musicians all. Got better with each record. And, most impressively, they walked away at their zenith. Left at the top.

(Frankly, I wish U2 had fallen their lead by bowing out after Slane Castle 2001....but I am convinced they are hell-bent on becoming the Rolling Stones, sadly).

I like Sting and the Police. I have the Police greatest hits... the crappy US version with the 2 pointless remixes. :madspit: Anyway, was Sting's ego really the reason for the break-up? Isn't it what all the members wanted? And Sting wanted to go solo anyway. :shrug:

The Police are awesome, I love them, so good musically- Andy Summers guitar work, Stuart Copelands awesome drumming and Stings good bass playing. It's a pity they don't reform. Sting is a good musician but he needs to stop writing songs about the rainforests and love and crap like that

aussiedge said:
Sting is a good musician but he needs to stop writing songs about the rainforests and love and crap like that

Hahahaha

I guess I shouldn't be laughing about that, you're completely right.

Yeah, The Police were great. Sting solo is generally not....

chicagoflyguy said:
the world would be a better place if the Police and the Talking Heads were still together. And the Clash. RIP Joe Strummer.

:up:

Mmmm... :drool: The Police. Sychronicity was the first album I ever bought. :rockon: "Tea in the Sahara" :heart: :heart:

And though I don't go for his solo stuff as much as I did the band's music, he still sounds (& looks!) amazing. Mr. Blu & I saw him with Annie Lennox last September - feckin' superb!! :up:

Oh my god, another appreciation thread. Don't you people know you're bringing this forum down with each new one.

You people are fucking crazy. I hate you. :mad:

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
I like Sting and the Police. I have the Police greatest hits... the crappy US version with the 2 pointless remixes. :madspit: Anyway, was Sting's ego really the reason for the break-up? Isn't it what all the members wanted? And Sting wanted to go solo anyway. :shrug:

Stewart Copeland created the Police. But as each album came out, Sting took more and more control over "Stewart's" band because he thought that since he writes the songs he can be dictator. Sting allowed very few songs that were written by Stu or Andy make the cut for albums because he thought that only his own songs were good. And by the time the Synchronicity era came about, Stu and Sting fought a lot and really couldn't get along. On his drums, Stewart wrote something like "Fuck Sting."

So because of all the tension between himself and Stu, Sting decided to quit the force.:wink:

You can tell from the way Sting talks, acts, and performs nowadays that he's still gotta overblown ego.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Anyway, was Sting's ego really the reason for the break-up? Isn't it what all the members wanted? And Sting wanted to go solo anyway. :shrug:
naah, only sting really wanted to go solo. stewart still says to this day if sting says he wanted to reform the police he'd do it in a heartbeat. i think he saw them like brothers, he fucking hated sting's guts at times especially with his ego (the "fuck sting" fiasco on his cymbals is a prime example, as well as the fights that would break out between them before, during, and after shows) but it was like brothers. brothers fight all the time but you still love your brother, even as you're punching him. :wink:

Yes they were an extraordinary band, one of the best bands ever but again Sting's arrogance blew it
His overblown ego was the fucking reason!

Didn't you hear him the other day?
He said something like " Bob Geldof doesn't ask you, he tells you"

Who do you think you are you stupid asshole?
You should be thankful they are inviting you
Say something like "im glad to be part of this experience, and to do something in behalf of the poor"

What a waste. Poor Stuart and Andy. They should find a singer an rename the band, something like "Policemen" or "Polizei"

Kick Sting's ass please!!

As good as Stewart and Andy are, you couldn't have the Police without Sting. They were a trio; the band need all three of them to sound as great as they did.

I was at an event last year, and Stewart was there. He looks fabulous, all gray haired and tall and handsome and rich. :drool:

Infinitum98 said:
....Sting allowed very few songs that were written by Stu or Andy make the cut for albums because he thought that only his own songs were good.

All I can say in reply to that is the one song credited to Andy on Synchronicity was "Mother"... and to each his own, but I find the song to be total shite! :barf: Maybe Sting's songs WERE better.

I can't really offer an educated opinion - although I love'd their music, most of their albums were released before I had much spending money. Sychronicity is the only Police album I ever owned. :shrug:

BluRmGrl said:

All I can say in reply to that is the one song credited to Andy on Synchronicity was "Mother"... and to each his own, but I find the song to be total shite! :barf: Maybe Sting's songs WERE better.

I can't really offer an educated opinion, though - although I loved their music, most of their albums were released before I had much spending money. Sychronicity is the only Police album I ever owned. :shrug:

Oops.. meant to edit & quoted myself by mistake. :reject:

Last edited:
BINGO!! We have a winner...Sting was the main songwriter because he wrote the best songs...period.

Also, for all the flak Sting is taking for his solo career on this thread (and I admit the last decade has been cheesy world music, etc), he does have some VERY GOOD solo albums, notably Ten Sumners Tales (1993) and, my personal favorite, the very dark and most anti-commercial record Sting has ever recorded, The Soul Cages (1990).

The Police are awesome, but what do you mean Sting wrote the songs? Did he just come up with the melody? Or did he come up with the guitar riffs, and bass lines etc..? Or what does he do to write the songs?

Personally Sting has some great solo albums,
Soul Cages, Dream of the Blue Turtles , and Nothing Like The Sun, and 1 song off TST- "shape of my heart" everything past that has sucked, his music gets worse and worse every second.

I saw them in 1982 :hmm: It was 'the Ghost in the Machine' tour.

One of the best bands ever :up:

martha said:
I was at an event last year, and Stewart was there. He looks fabulous, all gray haired and tall and handsome and rich. :drool:

~wants to hear more~

LemonMacPhisto said:
listening to Don't Stand So Close to Me '86:drool: :drool: :drool:
you must die for saying that. that song is just atrocious. come on!!

although i'd rather listen to that over mother. :shrieks: well the phone is ringing is it my mother or whatever the fuck the song says. goddamnit andy that song sucks you rock on the guitar but seriously...synchronicity would be a perfect album if it were not for that one song! mother ruined one of the best albums of the 80s. so thank you mister andy summers. :mad:

i love the police. i love sting. my favourite police solo record is zenyatta mondatta. my favourite sting record is :hmm: ...nothing like the sun. i don't think he's made a really good record since ten summoner's tales. now he makes yuppie music you listen to while eating your artsy fartsy food with weird shit in it because it's trendy to put ass leakage vinaigrette on sauteed duck appendix whilst drinking your merlot. and then you drive home in your jag-you-are.

my second fave band ever!!!!!!

too bad they only made 5 albums...6 if you count the awesome live album:drool:

they were so amazing and stilla re, especially to be a trio...they were definitely ahead of their time

and stewart copeland is one of the best drummers ever in my opinion, andy definitely had some tricks up his sleeve

i have to stop now or ill go on forever

im sorry but the police:bow::up::drool:
they had the music, the lyrics....:drool:

The Police were an AWESOME band with GREAT songs !!
I own every album and video by The Police and Sting ... Absolutely love 'em !! ... :love:

I even went as far as getting the movie "Brimstone and Treacle" ..
(1982, Namara Films) ... and the movie's soundtrack ...
with music by Sting, The Police, The Go-Go's and Squeeze.

This was an interesting movie with the intriguing character of Martin Taylor,
who was played by Sting himself ... :drool: :drool:
If anyone has ever seen this movie ... then you know why I have
drool with Sting's character ... He was SO-OOO HOT !! .. :combust:

chicagoflyguy said:
the world would be a better place if the Police and the Talking Heads were still together. And the Clash. RIP Joe Strummer.

Ooh, I'll second this sentiment :up:. It'd be quite interesting to hear the music they'd be making today.

Anywho, yeah, the Police are a good band. It's funny-my household's divided over the song "Roxanne". My mom and sister don't like it at all, whereas my dad and I do. 'Tis a good song.

And I don't mind what I've heard out of Sting's solo career. I don't doubt there were some ego problems between all the band members, but at the same time, from what I've seen of Sting on TV and stuff, I think he can be a really nice guy, too :shrug:. I dunno.

Don't care much for that remix of "Don't Stand So Close To Me", no. Much prefer the original. But to each their own.

Angela

macphisto23 said:
The Police are awesome, but what do you mean Sting wrote the songs? Did he just come up with the melody? Or did he come up with the guitar riffs, and bass lines etc..? Or what does he do to write the songs?

Personally Sting has some great solo albums,
Soul Cages, Dream of the Blue Turtles , and Nothing Like The Sun, and 1 song off TST- "shape of my heart" everything past that has sucked, his music gets worse and worse every second.

Well he came up with the bass lines, and yes he wrote the songs. But now that I think of it, I think the problem between them was that Sting didn't even let Stu or Andy bring their thoughts to the tables, Sting decided everything about the songs.

Now when you look in the case of U2, yes Bono rights the songs. But the rest of the band has their say. I think it was Larry who said that U2 is democracy.

But the Police were a dictatorship.

"Wrapped around your finger" is a class song. Other than that I don't particularly rate the Police.

Back
Top Bottom