The Police Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:

didn't he also have some cowriting credits?

i seem to recall him cowriting murder by numbers, but maybe that was stewart. my police cds are packed away

i do not like the song desert rose.

Yes Khanada, you're right about the song "Murder By Numbers" ...

I was actually playing albums yesterday, so I checked my albums
for the references in my above post. "Murder By Numbers was NOT on The Police's "Synchronicity" ALBUM ... it was only put on the CD version. After re-checking my CD, I noticed that song and was going to add it here today, but I was obviously beaten to it !! :laugh:

As for "Desert Rose" ... I'm not going to "flame" you ... but I don't
share your opinion. That song was brilliant ! ... I love it !! :love:

I don't see anything wrong with Desert Rose. It has Cheb Mami's middle eastern vocals and is a pretty sexy song a la Fast Cars by U2.

Infinitum98 said:

what does everyone think are the top 10 Police songs?

I would list all their hits as top Police songs ...
Therefore, not in any order ...
I believe these 14 songs should cover it::

Roxanne
Can't Stand Losing You
Message In A Bottle
Walking On The Moon
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Spirits In The Material World
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Invisible Sun
Secret Journey
Synchronicity ll
Every Breath You Take
King Of Pain
Wrapped Around Your Finger

STING2 said:
What shows did you see? Which tour and where? What did you not like about the second show you saw?

Ok, these were both more than 20 years ago, keep that in mind; my memories may have been a bit compromised (and I went to tons of concerts).

The first time was at either the Forum or the Sports Arena in LA, and it was on the Zenyatta tour I think because Sting wore a Beat t-shirt in the Don't Stand video and I wore my Beat t-shirt to the concert. I remember thinking at the time how good the concert was because of how good they were playing.

The second time was at Hollywood Park (in LA) of all places, an outdoor racetrack. It was before U2 played the Memorial Coluseum (I can't spell that word, so I've given up on it) and I swore off outdoor shows. I should have listened earlier. Video screens at concerts were new, and the band seemed more fascinated with the video screens than making music. They took a break in the middle of the show to go backstage and perform antics that were broadcast on the screen. I can't remember what tour is was. I didn't keep track of things like that back then. A new album came out, I went to see the concert.

MsMofoGone said:

the song "Murder By Numbers" ...

I was actually playing albums yesterday, so I checked my albums
for the references in my above post. "Murder By Numbers was NOT on The Police's "Synchronicity" ALBUM ... it was only put on the CD version.

Yes martha, it was a b-side too ...
I've just checked my 45s and saw that the song was also on the "Every Breath You Take" single as well as the Synchronicity CD ... :wink:

Last edited:
martha said:

A-ha! So I'm not crazy!!

:shifty:

:laugh: ... Oh no, I don't think so !!
I sometimes tend to "forget" about the good old 45s ... even my albums are NEVER quite played enough anymore !!
Actually, it's just more of a "hassle" to take them out of their jackets and throw 'em on that blasted turntable !! :giggle:
Well, I guess I'm trying to "preserve" that turntable for as long as possible now ...
You know, one of these days I get the feeling it's gonna "quit playing" FOR GOOD !! :tsk:

martha said:

The second time was at Hollywood Park (in LA) of all places, an outdoor racetrack. It was before U2 played the Memorial Coluseum (I can't spell that word, so I've given up on it) and I swore off outdoor shows. I should have listened earlier. Video screens at concerts were new, and the band seemed more fascinated with the video screens than making music. They took a break in the middle of the show to go backstage and perform antics that were broadcast on the screen. I can't remember what tour is was. I didn't keep track of things like that back then. A new album came out, I went to see the concert.

That was the Synchronicity Tour.

MsMofoGone said:

I would list all their hits as top Police songs ...
Therefore, not in any order ...
I believe these 14 songs should cover it::

Roxanne
Can't Stand Losing You
Message In A Bottle
Walking On The Moon
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Spirits In The Material World
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Invisible Sun
Secret Journey
Synchronicity ll
Every Breath You Take
King Of Pain
Wrapped Around Your Finger

Also adding "Bring On The Night" and "Driven To Tears" ... :drool:

me too^ :drool:

i would rate the albums

Regatta dBlanc
Ghost in the machine
Outlandos d'amour
Syncronicity
Zenyatta Mondatta

the live album is great too :up:, mostly the first cd...the second cd is i dont like much because of the backupsingers:reject:

hehehe, thats funny...i love all albums but if i had to rank them that would be it,
i love regatta cause it has the wonderful grooves of their early stuff but slightly better album overall [not Be My Girl Sally;)] and Ghost because the music had developed by then and i overall i like it betetr than syncronicity and zenyatta.
zenyatta lyrics were a bit too silly at times, whereas Ghost had a more balanced blend of good lyrics and good music. Syncronicity i like but i guess i could go w/o miss grandeko, mother, tea in the sahara....king of pain, murder by numbers, and wrapped around your fingers are definitelt soem of my fave police songs overall.
Regardless, i can listen to all albums straigh through wihtout getting tired of them, I love the Police and if it weren't for them i would have never gotten into U2, they were my favorite band until i slowly but surely discovered U2 and went through their entire catalog which eventually pushed The police into second place.

My favorite album would be Reggatta De Blanc ...
since my two favorite songs from The Police are "Bring On The Night" and "Message In A Bottle" ...

Synchronicity would be a close second as that album has other favorite songs of mine too ...
"Every Breath You Take" ... "Synchronicity ll" ... "King Of Pain" ...
"Wrapped Around Your Finger" ... and "Murder By Numbers"

My ratings:

Outlandos <--- Love the rawness of this album
Regatta <--- Infectious
Ghost <--- has a lot of my fav songs, changed their sound a bit
Zenyatta <--- goofy lyrics
Synchronicity <--- some good songs, a little overrated IMO

Last edited:
Ooh, I loved the Police. I'll never forget spending the night on concrete so I could be first in line to get tickets on the Synchronicity tour. I thought Outlandos was underrated.

verte76 said:
I thought Outlandos was underrated.

Very true indeed !! :up:

Especially "ROXXXXXX ... ANNE" !! :drool:

GREATEST SONG EVER !! on Outlandos d'Amour ... :love:

Runner-up songs would be ...

A Hole In My Life ....... Awesome song !!

Be My Girl, Sally ..... It's such a funny song ... I gotta love it !!

Masoko Tanga ... I don't know, this song is so-ooo GOOD musically
I really was under-estimating it before !!

More appreciation for The Police ... with the BEST VIDEO List ::

Every Breath You Take :applaud:
Wrapped Around Your Finger :bow:
Don't Stand So Close To Me :drool:
Bring On The Night :love:
Roxanne :wink:
Invisible Sun :dancing:
Message In A Bottle :up:
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic :heart:

Especially the first 3 albums ?? :shame:

:ohmy: I disagree 100%% ...

Roxanne, Message In A Bottle, Bring On The Night and Don't Stand So Close To Me