The Police Appreciation Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 02:32 PM
As good as Stewart and Andy are, you couldn't have the Police without Sting. They were a trio; the band need all three of them to sound as great as they did.

I was at an event last year, and Stewart was there. He looks fabulous, all gray haired and tall and handsome and rich.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
....Sting allowed very few songs that were written by Stu or Andy make the cut for albums because he thought that only his own songs were good.
All I can say in reply to that is the one song credited to Andy on Synchronicity was "Mother"... and to each his own, but I find the song to be total shite! Maybe Sting's songs WERE better.

I can't really offer an educated opinion - although I love'd their music, most of their albums were released before I had much spending money. Sychronicity is the only Police album I ever owned.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl

All I can say in reply to that is the one song credited to Andy on Synchronicity was "Mother"... and to each his own, but I find the song to be total shite! Maybe Sting's songs WERE better.

I can't really offer an educated opinion, though - although I loved their music, most of their albums were released before I had much spending money. Sychronicity is the only Police album I ever owned.
Oops.. meant to edit & quoted myself by mistake.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 10:32 PM
BINGO!! We have a winner...Sting was the main songwriter because he wrote the best songs...period.

Also, for all the flak Sting is taking for his solo career on this thread (and I admit the last decade has been cheesy world music, etc), he does have some VERY GOOD solo albums, notably Ten Sumners Tales (1993) and, my personal favorite, the very dark and most anti-commercial record Sting has ever recorded, The Soul Cages (1990).
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:32 PM
The Police are awesome, but what do you mean Sting wrote the songs? Did he just come up with the melody? Or did he come up with the guitar riffs, and bass lines etc..? Or what does he do to write the songs?

Personally Sting has some great solo albums,
Soul Cages, Dream of the Blue Turtles , and Nothing Like The Sun, and 1 song off TST- "shape of my heart" everything past that has sucked, his music gets worse and worse every second.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #21
fah
Blue Crack Addict

I saw them in 1982 It was 'the Ghost in the Machine' tour.

One of the best bands ever

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I was at an event last year, and Stewart was there. He looks fabulous, all gray haired and tall and handsome and rich.

~wants to hear more~
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
listening to Don't Stand So Close to Me '86
you must die for saying that. that song is just atrocious. come on!!

although i'd rather listen to that over mother. :shrieks: well the phone is ringing is it my mother or whatever the fuck the song says. goddamnit andy that song sucks you rock on the guitar but seriously...synchronicity would be a perfect album if it were not for that one song! mother ruined one of the best albums of the 80s. so thank you mister andy summers.

i love the police. i love sting. my favourite police solo record is zenyatta mondatta. my favourite sting record is ...nothing like the sun. i don't think he's made a really good record since ten summoner's tales. now he makes yuppie music you listen to while eating your artsy fartsy food with weird shit in it because it's trendy to put ass leakage vinaigrette on sauteed duck appendix whilst drinking your merlot. and then you drive home in your jag-you-are.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

my second fave band ever!!!!!!

too bad they only made 5 albums...6 if you count the awesome live album

they were so amazing and stilla re, especially to be a trio...they were definitely ahead of their time

and stewart copeland is one of the best drummers ever in my opinion, andy definitely had some tricks up his sleeve

i have to stop now or ill go on forever

im sorry but the police
they had the music, the lyrics....
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music that he's made over the years, I don't really listen to, but I respect the fact that he's making it.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:30 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:02 AM
De do do do de da da da

Ah, noone writes classics like that anymore.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:18 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
The Police were an AWESOME band with GREAT songs !!
I own every album and video by The Police and Sting ... Absolutely love 'em !! ...

I even went as far as getting the movie "Brimstone and Treacle" ..
(1982, Namara Films) ... and the movie's soundtrack ...
with music by Sting, The Police, The Go-Go's and Squeeze.

This was an interesting movie with the intriguing character of Martin Taylor,
who was played by Sting himself ...
If anyone has ever seen this movie ... then you know why I have
drool with Sting's character ... He was SO-OOO HOT !! ..
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chicagoflyguy
the world would be a better place if the Police and the Talking Heads were still together. And the Clash. RIP Joe Strummer.
Ooh, I'll second this sentiment . It'd be quite interesting to hear the music they'd be making today.

Anywho, yeah, the Police are a good band. It's funny-my household's divided over the song "Roxanne". My mom and sister don't like it at all, whereas my dad and I do. 'Tis a good song.

And I don't mind what I've heard out of Sting's solo career. I don't doubt there were some ego problems between all the band members, but at the same time, from what I've seen of Sting on TV and stuff, I think he can be a really nice guy, too . I dunno.

Don't care much for that remix of "Don't Stand So Close To Me", no. Much prefer the original. But to each their own.

Angela
Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
The Police are awesome, but what do you mean Sting wrote the songs? Did he just come up with the melody? Or did he come up with the guitar riffs, and bass lines etc..? Or what does he do to write the songs?

Personally Sting has some great solo albums,
Soul Cages, Dream of the Blue Turtles , and Nothing Like The Sun, and 1 song off TST- "shape of my heart" everything past that has sucked, his music gets worse and worse every second.
Well he came up with the bass lines, and yes he wrote the songs. But now that I think of it, I think the problem between them was that Sting didn't even let Stu or Andy bring their thoughts to the tables, Sting decided everything about the songs.

Now when you look in the case of U2, yes Bono rights the songs. But the rest of the band has their say. I think it was Larry who said that U2 is democracy.

But the Police were a dictatorship.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:32 PM
"Wrapped around your finger" is a class song. Other than that I don't particularly rate the Police.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
One of the best bands. Ever.