the police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
sucked.

i really, REALLY dont get why they were so popular in the 80's. stings voice is almost as high and irritating as geddy lee (music's mosquito) and did they even have guitars?!!?

seriously, no band should be led by a bass guitar. thats just lame. maybe a song here and there, thats fine, bass is cool, but their songs sound SOOO outdated compared to bands like u2 and rem.

obviously theres gonna be some that like them, and thats fine, they did have talent (i think).

theyre like milk. they would have been fresh in the 80's, but milk thats been on the counter for over a decade usually doesnt taste all the fresh.

Why do I think you are baiting somebody with this thread?

I don't like everything by them, but there are some great things there. Their fans are passionate. As are many others'. I don't thing one can quantify how good any band/ group is. Music like most art, is subjective.

deep said:
Why do I think you are baiting somebody with this thread?

im not, truthfully. i havent heard anyone say anything good about them ever, so i really cant see this offending anyone.

as for music being subjective, i used to be a firm believer in that. but i dont really think so anymore. creed is shit, and thats not subjective. you know what im saying?

there must be a way to determine that leonardo was better at things than someone like me. were not all equal in terms of ability, and that includes music, in my opinion.

nbcrusader, i dont know if anyone has commented on your sig yet, but i think its ace.

I would say the police were musically important for these reasons:
1. the police flew in on the heals of the punk movement and stormed america as part of the new british invasion. the difference was that the police could actually play their instruments.
2. sting brought a level of songwriting back to rock and roll that had not been seen since lennon/mccartney, and, in my opinion, took it farther with lots of jazz harmony and intricate melodies. miles davis and thelonius monk were two major inspirations.
3. spreaking of mccartney, who says you can't lead a band with a bass? anyway, the bass was not the dominant instrument in the police; the drums were.
4. speaking of drums, there are maybe 3 or 4 other drummers in the history of rock who were nearly as creative as stewart copeland. his sound, style, and feel have been a source of inspiration for every drummer after him.
5. they fused the emerging reggae sound just being noticed in america and england with rock; for that alone they're special
6. sting wrote and recorded with the police the most played song in the history of radio broadcasting. you all know which tune that is. the fact that it was recorded by real musicians with real instruments who actually wrote it is important; that's almost non-existent these days.
7. I bet 9 out of 10 guitar players can't play andy summers guitar parts. why? because they were far more intricate harmonically, especially the way he voiced his chords, then anything else going on at the time, or now for that matter.
8. they were one of the only bands in history to actually go out on top and not lose any credibility with lame reunion tours or crappy albums past their prime.
they recorded message in a bottle, probably one of the 5 greatest rock songs ever written.
10. what other band in rock and roll was all blond and beat the shit out of each other?

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Cow of the Seas, the police RULE!

they did at our highschool, anyway, and we had very good taste

it doesn't even matter that they broke up, because they had so many fine hits

and Geddy Lee is not a mosquito

The police rocks!!!

deathbear..

"The police" are a very good band. I like songs driven by bass-guitar ( remember national anthem, new years day :) )

The police rocks but there are nowhere near Radiohead or U2 or Floyd. I would put REM and The police in the same league. I wont call The Police as outdated band. There will always be people liking it.. be it 1985 or 2000.

deathbear, i really think you would really like "Porcupine tree" - hear it if havent heard it before

AcroMan

well, i respect your opinion, but i cant stand their sound. its pure 80's, and other than the fact that the world was blessed by my birth in that decade, there isnt anything else remembering from those 10 years... :sexywink:

seriously though, i like your sig. too bad its too long.

JOFO,

I just came upon this thread and was about to launch into my response but I think you said it better than I could. The Police are my favorite band with the exception of U2. I have all their material in addition to 10 great concert bootlegs. I have a number of shows where U2 and the Police played on the same lineup, with The Police headlining of course.

The Police proved themselves as a Live band and built a strong following early on. Like U2 would later, The Police always had comparitively strong concert attendance compared to its album sales, the sign of true critical and commercial popularity. The Police were in 1983-1984, what U2 would become in 1987.

The Police will be inducted into the Rock Hall Of Fame on March 10. The Show will be telivised on March 19 on VH1. The Police will reunite to play 3 songs. It will be the 5th time they have played together since the end of the Synchronicity Tour in March 1984. Amazing band and a huge impact considering they were only together for a little more than 5 years.

JOFO said:
6. sting wrote and recorded with the police the most played song in the history of radio broadcasting. you all know which tune that is. the fact that it was recorded by real musicians with real instruments who actually wrote it is important; that's almost non-existent these days.

Did The Police write and record Yesterday??? (As that is the most played song on the radio ever. A couple of years ago it was estimated at 6 million spins. Every second of a day, some radio station is playing Yesterday).

Apart from that, The Police were great. I also have all their studio stuff (well, I only have their Message In A Box set which supposedly contains all their material, give or take a few really obscure songs). What I like about The Police is their fusion of reggae and rock. Their songs have a lot of space, room to breathe. Listen to Walking On The Moon or Message In A Bottle and you hear that the song isn't filled with all kinds of songs, just some drums, a bass line and some guitar licks. It almost seems like after every beat on the drum, or note played by a guitar/bass that there is silence. They were one of the masters of 'less is more'.

Oh, and Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is magic!

C ya!

Marty

Nickleback was one of The Police's formative influences, and they were a great band as well.

Sorry dude, you're a creep...you don't belong here.

Cow of the Seas said:
as for music being subjective, i used to be a firm believer in that. but i dont really think so anymore. creed is shit, and thats not subjective. you know what im saying?

there must be a way to determine that leonardo was better at things than someone like me. were not all equal in terms of ability, and that includes music, in my opinion.
I agree

at some point personal preference does play it's part
but it's quite objective to begin with

Popmartijn said:

Did The Police write and record Yesterday??? (As that is the most played song on the radio ever. A couple of years ago it was estimated at 6 million spins. Every second of a day, some radio station is playing Yesterday).

Apart from that, The Police were great. I also have all their studio stuff (well, I only have their Message In A Box set which supposedly contains all their material, give or take a few really obscure songs). What I like about The Police is their fusion of reggae and rock. Their songs have a lot of space, room to breathe. Listen to Walking On The Moon or Message In A Bottle and you hear that the song isn't filled with all kinds of songs, just some drums, a bass line and some guitar licks. It almost seems like after every beat on the drum, or note played by a guitar/bass that there is silence. They were one of the masters of 'less is more'.

Oh, and Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is magic!

C ya!

Marty

I guess that's true; I could've sworn they said every breath you take was the most played....it's definitely the most something or other; I don't know what.

i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before..:down:

bruno.

Diamond,

"i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before.."

Really, what did he say? I find that odd because they seem to be very close friends. Sting met all the members of U2 when the Police played Ireland in July 1980. At the time, U2 had yet to release their first album, and Sting talked to several media outlets about how great he thought U2 were and that his favorite song by them was 11'Clock Tick Tock. U2 opened for the Police at that July 1980 show near Dublin. they have ran into each other many times over the years in addition to the many times U2 opened for the Police.

Every Breath You Take may not of overtaken Yesterday, but it is catching up. It is one of the top played songs of all time.

diamond said:
i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before..:down:

bruno.

sting is a bit odd, i agree. hes very active in save the forrest campaigns, but then he goes and sells a song for a car commercial AND appears in it!

i guess thats not ironic.

Cow of the Seas said:
i really, REALLY dont get why they were so popular in the 80's. stings voice is almost as high and irritating as geddy lee (music's mosquito) and did they even have guitars?!!?
i'm asking a serious question here, but how many police songs have you heard? i'm honestly trying to think of a police song where his voice is high and irritating, and i can't think of one.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'm asking a serious question here, but how many police songs have you heard? i'm honestly trying to think of a police song where his voice is high and irritating, and i can't think of one.

I can: "roxanne", the most annoying song ever written.

and I'm a police fan.

And I disagree. :)
Even though I'm not a really huge Police fan.

But then again, I guess you are lucky that you're never heard Sk8terboi by Avril Lavigne. :D
(Yep, no spelling mistakes, that's her 'punk rock' way of writing Skaterboy)

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom