the police - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2003, 03:18 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:10 AM
JOFO,

I just came upon this thread and was about to launch into my response but I think you said it better than I could. The Police are my favorite band with the exception of U2. I have all their material in addition to 10 great concert bootlegs. I have a number of shows where U2 and the Police played on the same lineup, with The Police headlining of course.

The Police proved themselves as a Live band and built a strong following early on. Like U2 would later, The Police always had comparitively strong concert attendance compared to its album sales, the sign of true critical and commercial popularity. The Police were in 1983-1984, what U2 would become in 1987.

The Police will be inducted into the Rock Hall Of Fame on March 10. The Show will be telivised on March 19 on VH1. The Police will reunite to play 3 songs. It will be the 5th time they have played together since the end of the Synchronicity Tour in March 1984. Amazing band and a huge impact considering they were only together for a little more than 5 years.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

hall of fame:

Old 01-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
6. sting wrote and recorded with the police the most played song in the history of radio broadcasting. you all know which tune that is. the fact that it was recorded by real musicians with real instruments who actually wrote it is important; that's almost non-existent these days.
Did The Police write and record Yesterday??? (As that is the most played song on the radio ever. A couple of years ago it was estimated at 6 million spins. Every second of a day, some radio station is playing Yesterday).

Apart from that, The Police were great. I also have all their studio stuff (well, I only have their Message In A Box set which supposedly contains all their material, give or take a few really obscure songs). What I like about The Police is their fusion of reggae and rock. Their songs have a lot of space, room to breathe. Listen to Walking On The Moon or Message In A Bottle and you hear that the song isn't filled with all kinds of songs, just some drums, a bass line and some guitar licks. It almost seems like after every beat on the drum, or note played by a guitar/bass that there is silence. They were one of the masters of 'less is more'.

Oh, and Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is magic!

C ya!

Marty
Old 01-19-2003, 09:04 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:10 PM
bear needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Why do I think you are baiting somebody with this thread?

I like the Police.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #20
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 07:10 PM

Nickleback was one of The Police's formative influences, and they were a great band as well.

Sorry dude, you're a creep...you don't belong here.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #21
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
as for music being subjective, i used to be a firm believer in that. but i dont really think so anymore. creed is shit, and thats not subjective. you know what im saying?

there must be a way to determine that leonardo was better at things than someone like me. were not all equal in terms of ability, and that includes music, in my opinion.
I agree

at some point personal preference does play it's part
but it's quite objective to begin with
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Did The Police write and record Yesterday??? (As that is the most played song on the radio ever. A couple of years ago it was estimated at 6 million spins. Every second of a day, some radio station is playing Yesterday).

Apart from that, The Police were great. I also have all their studio stuff (well, I only have their Message In A Box set which supposedly contains all their material, give or take a few really obscure songs). What I like about The Police is their fusion of reggae and rock. Their songs have a lot of space, room to breathe. Listen to Walking On The Moon or Message In A Bottle and you hear that the song isn't filled with all kinds of songs, just some drums, a bass line and some guitar licks. It almost seems like after every beat on the drum, or note played by a guitar/bass that there is silence. They were one of the masters of 'less is more'.

Oh, and Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is magic!

C ya!

Marty

I guess that's true; I could've sworn they said every breath you take was the most played....it's definitely the most something or other; I don't know what.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:22 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:10 PM
i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before..

bruno.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:10 PM
bear you love to start arguements.

and i love to read them.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:38 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Diamond,

"i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before.."

Really, what did he say? I find that odd because they seem to be very close friends. Sting met all the members of U2 when the Police played Ireland in July 1980. At the time, U2 had yet to release their first album, and Sting talked to several media outlets about how great he thought U2 were and that his favorite song by them was 11'Clock Tick Tock. U2 opened for the Police at that July 1980 show near Dublin. they have ran into each other many times over the years in addition to the many times U2 opened for the Police.

Every Breath You Take may not of overtaken Yesterday, but it is catching up. It is one of the top played songs of all time.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
i like Stink more as a person off the court than on the court.
he kinda has unwittingly dissed Bono publicly before..

bruno.
sting is a bit odd, i agree. hes very active in save the forrest campaigns, but then he goes and sells a song for a car commercial AND appears in it!

i guess thats not ironic.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
i really, REALLY dont get why they were so popular in the 80's. stings voice is almost as high and irritating as geddy lee (music's mosquito) and did they even have guitars?!!?
i'm asking a serious question here, but how many police songs have you heard? i'm honestly trying to think of a police song where his voice is high and irritating, and i can't think of one.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i'm asking a serious question here, but how many police songs have you heard? i'm honestly trying to think of a police song where his voice is high and irritating, and i can't think of one.

I can: "roxanne", the most annoying song ever written.

and I'm a police fan.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

And I disagree.
Even though I'm not a really huge Police fan.

But then again, I guess you are lucky that you're never heard Sk8terboi by Avril Lavigne.
(Yep, no spelling mistakes, that's her 'punk rock' way of writing Skaterboy)

C ya!

Marty
Old 01-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:

your right, but he still sounds like one.
I guess they don't have singing mosquitos in the US.