The Pogues - Live in Philadelphia 3/13/08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
I went to the Pogues show at the Electric Factory (Philadelphia) on 3/13/08. It was my first time seeing the Pogues (though I've been a fan since my friend introduced me to it in college). I first heard the Pogues when my friend gave me the "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" CD on the ferry from Harwich, England going to Amsterdam. Loved it.

Anyway, this show was completely out of control! I loved every minute of it. It's one of those events that shakes you out of the everyday humdrum and reminds you that you're still alive. The music was A+ and the crowd was insanely fired up. Even having to dodge the moshing, crowd surfing, and stage diving fools, a great time could not be denied. I highly suggest you get to a Pogues show.

Otherwise, I had a "Shane MacGowan" thread going recently in this forum. The point of that thread was (before I went to this show), that I thought that Shane couldn't have much longer to live (given how he looked in that Tribute to Ronnie Drew video). Anyway, he's never had crowd-pleasing good looks, but he (and the rest of the Pogues) belted out two hours of excellent music. They put a bottle of white wine for Shane at the foot of his microphone before the show starts, but he only nipped at it once during the show. Otherwise, he drank from a coffee/tea mug all night (mystery beverage). At the end of the show, the aformentioned bottle of white wine was hoisted into the air by our man and poured all over his face and into his mouth (but I don't think he actually drank it). Anyway, whatever, the show was great. If he can manage to keep himself together and entertain without the booze, then he'll be with us for years to come. Also, Philip Chevron did a great version singing his tune "Thousands are Sailing".

"thousands are sailing" is a great song. what else did they play?

Glad you made it Knuckle :)

Here's your setlist from Philly. And anyone else who cares. 1000's are Sailing was added to this leg 'cuz Phillip Chevron has recovered from his battle with cancer enough to join the boys for this favorite. Jem's daughter Ella made it to NYC and Fairytale of New York was added during the final encore for all 3 NY shows. Don't know if she is staying on for the last two shows in Boston this week. A nice extra treat for NY.

Repeal evidently played first in Philly probably due to issue's with Shane. Then played again in it's regular spot. Only night this happened.

Repeal Of Licensing Laws
Streams Of Whiskey
If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Broad Majestic Shannon
Turkish Song Of The Damned
Pair Of Brown Eyes
Dark Streets Of London
Tuesday Morning
Sayonara
Kitty
Sunnyside Of The Street
Repeal Of Licensing Laws (again)
Body Of An American (made famous by HBO's The Wire :lol:)
Boys From County Hell
Love You Till The End
1000's Are Sailing
Greenland Whale Fisheries
Dirty Old Town
Bottle Of Smoke
Sick Bed of Cuchulainn
-------------
Sally Maclennane
Rainy Night In Soho
Irish Rover
--------------
Star Of The County Down
Poor Paddy
Fiesta

Billy Bragg apparently tore it up the second night in NYC. Probably some wonderful Bush bashing. He was on Conan last night.

So yeah, really hating being unable to attend this show. Stupid Thursday night classes. I can see Philadelphia from my window, but I've only been to one show since moving here in August.

Back
Top Bottom