The player that everyone likes but you can't stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Whos the player thats revered by everyone as a god but that you can't stand...

mine is Kaka, the media portrays him as the greatest thing to happen to football since Pele, yet I think hes arrogant, not so unique (oh my god he can dance around the ball just like every other brazillian!!!!!11111!!!!111eleven!!!!11one!!!) and just comes off to me as annoying. There, I had my rant...

Rooney. Something about the guy annoys me.
Jaromir Jagr too.
Anyone on the Mets. If David Wright played for any other team, he'd probably be one of my favorite players. As it is, I don't like the guy.

Any special olympic athlete!

Just who do they think they are!!!!!

:wink:

Actually, all of the above that have been mentioned. Does anyone like Ray Lewis? I don't.

Tony Parker. He just bugs me for some reason. Wouldn't say I can't stand him. And Peyton Manning, even more so.

I could name various Yankees but I don't think any of them qualify as being revered by everyone as a god.

Historically, John Elway. Never could stand him, not sure why. Lenny Dykstra, too, though, he was not revered, really. I just hated him.

Currently, a revered athlete who I hate would be Tom Brady. Phil Mickelson too.

Hewson said:
I think "Jeets" might fall into that category.

You're right, but I actually think he's a decent guy and has matured for the better. He offends me less than many of them. I don't dislike him as much above the level of disdain I grant just by virtue of being a Yankee :wink:- at least not in comparison to the obvious.

Ryan Howard and Bobby Abreu (pre-Yankees days).

I always hated Mike Vick before his recent troubles, when he was quite popular, I can't stand Kobe Bryant (ever since he tried to stick it to Philadelphia in 2001), Billy Wagner, Freddy Garcia (for intentionally sucking), Chris Webber (for intentionally sucking), and Doug Glanville.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Tony Parker. He just bugs me for some reason. Wouldn't say I can't stand him. And Peyton Manning, even more so.

I could name various Yankees but I don't think any of them qualify as being revered by everyone as a god.

DITTO!!!

While I'm not familiar with Parker, I really can't stand Manning (or the entire Manning family). I had no problems with the Colts winning the Super Bowl (even though they did beat my home team Bears), I just didn't want P. Manning to ever win a Super Bowl. Sadly, he has. Fortunately, the Patriots - who came so close to knocking the Colts out last year - have learned from their mistakes and are poised to make a serious challenge.

And the Yankees... even though I was raised in Chicago, I hated the Yankees. When I moved to New England, that hate grew. ;) I was so happy to see the Red Sox finally win the World Series and see the Yankees have to "wait another year". Right now, I'm so hoping the Red Sox keep their lead going and that Seattle finally gets their act together. If those two teams can win, that'll knock the Yanks out of the play-offs, much to my joy. While I definitely want to see the Red Sox win another title, just seeing the Yankees out of the play-off race is already enough of a victory!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yeah I was going to say Kobe Bryant, but who reveres him as a god these days other than Kobe?

People liked him when I originally became anti-Kobe, but ever since he kicked Shaq out no one's really liked him.

phillyfan26 said:
Ryan Howard and Bobby Abreu (pre-Yankees days).

I always hated Mike Vick before his recent troubles, when he was quite popular, I can't stand Kobe Bryant (ever since he tried to stick it to Philadelphia in 2001), Billy Wagner, Freddy Garcia (for intentionally sucking), Chris Webber (for intentionally sucking), and Doug Glanville.

I agree with you completely on Abreu and Wagner, but they aren't exactly loved in New York, either.

Wagner's spat with Burrell has cost him dearly though, so maybe I should actually appreciate his nonsense a little more. :hmm:

doctorwho said:

Oh, and then there's this... how can anyone not like Tom Brady? It's like hating Bono, Tom Hanks or Matt Damon for being too talented yet too nice. :sexywink:

I'll get back to you next time Tom Hanks beats the Eagles in the Superbowl.

phillyfan26 said:
Wagner's spat with Burrell has cost him dearly though, so maybe I should actually appreciate his nonsense a little more. :hmm:

rat.jpg

doctorwho said:

Oh, and then there's this... how can anyone not like Tom Brady? It's like hating Bono, Tom Hanks or Matt Damon for being too talented yet too nice. :sexywink:
Certainly there's a lot of jealousy towards a successful athlete like Brady by fans of rival teams. Hatred may be the wrong description for this thread.
Its why I didn't reply. I don't hate any athlete for his performance on the field/court/ice. Certainly don't like when one of my teams loses but its part of the game(s).

Hewson said:
Certainly there's a lot of jealousy towards a successful athlete like Brady by fans of rival teams. Hatred may be the wrong description for this thread.
Its why I didn't reply. I don't hate any athlete for his performance on the field/court/ice. Certainly don't like when one of my teams loses but its part of the game(s).

No, I don't hate a player if he's talented - even if he helps his team beat "my" team.

However, there are certain players I dislike based on their public personas or personal lives. Michael Vick is now on that list.

doctorwho said:

Oh, I see... it's not that you hate the player, it's that you hate the fact that Brady helped the Pats beat the Eagles.

Jealousy... such a sad trait. :tsk:

All Philly fans are just sad, jealous, bitter people. :wink:

doctorwho said:

It's like hating Bono, Tom Hanks or Matt Damon for being too talented yet too nice. :sexywink:

:lol: I recently read a book that uses Tom Hanks as an example of someone everyone likes. Probably true...I loved his brief appearance in the new Simpsons movie...it plays right into that.

The only athlete I can't really stand at all is hockey's Daniel Alfredsson. I know I'm part of a pretty solid enemy contingent, but a lot of people love him, as well.

Lance Armstrong is a guy my friend really cannot stand - he respects Lance for what he did, but he just thinks that Lance is a complete tool.

Back
Top Bottom