The paranoid traveller returns for advice on travelling to the US and customs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hi folks,

I'm travelling to the US in a couple of days and I'm looking for any last minute advice or information I should know about travelling to the US and passing through customs. I've received plenty of (sometimes contradictory) advice for my time in the US, but I'm wondering what I need to know for the customs and travelling stage. If anyone would bear with me, I'd be quite grateful!

I believe you have to have a photograph and fingerprints taken upon arrival, and that I must know the address (and phone number?) of the folks I'm staying with. Besides that, what is it important that I know? I'll be carrying Australian food (i.e. Tim Tam biscuits) that I'll have to declare in my carry-on luggage, but I've no doubt I'll be allowed to bring that in as it's commercially packaged, sealed food. And as I mentioned in a previous thread, I have burnt discs, but you lot put my mind at ease about that, so thanks! :)

If it's worth anything, I'll be going through customs at Chicago's O'Hare airport. Got any further advice or information I should know? I hate this part of travelling, it always gives me jitters.

Thanks!

And to add to that, my jitters have not been eased by the Schappelle Corby case. Those of you outside Australia may not be familiar with it: an Australian woman has been detained in Bali for possession of marijuana and it is alleged the drugs were put in her bag by corrupt baggage handlers at Sydney airport. That connection may or may not be true, but drugs have been placed in bags by handlers at Sydney airport. This was in the past and there's been an investigation, but still ...

The worst part? I fly out of Australia from Sydney. I travel Coolangatta --> Sydney --> out.

You won't have a problem at all. And carrying something that you need to declare (food) is smart, that line is always the quickest!

I believe you shouldn't make any humourous remarks regarding the stowage of explosive devices upon your person. That could lead to your person being searched inside and out! :ohmy:
:wink:

beli said:
I have a more important question. Another person and I were arguing about to pronounce "Axver". How do you pronounce it please?

Ever since I've created it, I've pronounced it 'acks-vuh' and felt that it gives away that I'm a Kiwi.

Earnie Shavers said:
You won't have a problem at all. And carrying something that you need to declare (food) is smart, that line is always the quickest!

So I've discovered from travelling between Australia and NZ! I always make sure I have some food with me to declare.

Axver, remember that Tim-Tams are a local form of currency in some parts of the United States. ;)

I wouldn't worry about a thing. You'll be fine. Have a great time! :wave:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:checks pockets: umm...lemme get back to you on that! :uhoh:

btw, what on earth are tim-tams? :braces self:

Tim Tams are the Holy of Holies when it comes to chocolate biscuits.

Not sure if we'll have any left to bring you a sample when I come to Memphis. :wink:

PopMartian33107 said:
Axver, remember that Tim-Tams are a local form of currency in some parts of the United States. ;)

:lol: I wish!

1. Definitely have the addresses where you will be staying

2. Am sure you have round trip ticket, so no worries

3. Preferably, do not mention "girlfriend" just "friend". Saves you time on questioning.

Other than that, you're ok

Have a safe trip :wave:

In the past, when I've gone to the US (post 9/11) as a student, they actually asked me a couple of times to produce a student ID, which I luckily had on me in my wallet. I guess as proof I'd be going back?

Miroslava said:
1. Definitely have the addresses where you will be staying

2. Am sure you have round trip ticket, so no worries

3. Preferably, do not mention "girlfriend" just "friend". Saves you time on questioning.

Other than that, you're ok

Have a safe trip :wave:

OK, thanks! I know my friend's address, but I've written it down in case I get nervous and the memory fails. Do they ask for a phone number too?

phanan said:
I take it you have a connecting flight from Chicago to Boston.

I'm going down to Nashville for most of the time, but yeah, I've arranged my flights from Nashville to Boston. Can't wait! :hyper:

anitram said:
In the past, when I've gone to the US (post 9/11) as a student, they actually asked me a couple of times to produce a student ID, which I luckily had on me in my wallet. I guess as proof I'd be going back?

Hm, OK. I've deferred this year and last year's ID is no longer valid, so ... maybe I should take the letter from my university granting my deferment and assuring my place in the first semester next year?

phanan said:
I take it you have a connecting flight from Chicago to Boston.
We spent some time with a retired Sydney, Aust. police officer this past weekend; he's now a financial crime investigator...from Toronto, he went to Chicago, Chicago to London and then down under....said it would actually take him several days.

Axver said:

Hm, OK. I've deferred this year and last year's ID is no longer valid, so ... maybe I should take the letter from my university granting my deferment and assuring my place in the first semester next year?

Do take a copy of that letter just in case... carry it in your pocket though... you never want to present more than you're asked to. It is only if you are asked more details that you say "I have a letter from my school, would you like to see it?"

Same goes for copies of any hotel reservation confirmations or your U2 show tickets :D

As far as phone numbers, you really shouldn't need it, but never hurts to carry them with you.

Also, here in Detroit, there has been a practice in certain instances to ask "who came to pick you up?" and then they go out to the waiting area and call out their names and or "the people that came to pick this dude up?"... Not saying it is going to happen (Detroit is a training Port of Entry and sometimes things happen only here for test purposes), and please do not get nervous. Simply instruct the person that is going to pick you up (gf?) that IT COULD HAPPEN and get your stories straight. How you met, how long you're going to be here for and how you are just friends :p

Dont be nervous... just going into lots of detail since you seem a bit anxious

Have a good trip!

Last edited:
Thank you, Miroslava! I've made copies of all the stuff I should need. I think I'll be OK. Everything's packed, I'm now off to bed. This'll be my last post on Interference before I leave, unless I've a bit of time to kill tomorrow morning. I don't know if I'll be on here much at all in the coming weeks, though I'm sure you guys will see me in the occasional setlist party and posting reviews of the Boston shows.

Have a good one, folks!

Back
Top Bottom