The Ouagadougou Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in the other thread that I wrote a riff tonight that felt stolen ... and I was partially right. After searching, I realized I'd written a similar riff to that of "Time Goes Back" by John Frusciante. But it has enough distance and a different vocal melody that I can get away with it, which pleases me.

I've got five finished songs for my upcoming acoustic album now. :up:

phillyfan26 said:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock is honestly one of their hardest songs, mostly because of the solo. The rest is just a mess of effects.

I thought 11OTT was piss-easy, besides the solo - I could do the solo, but not that spectacularly. I'm completely incompetent with chords, so something like Gone's not that attractive for me to play. The first three albums and other songs from the time period are all really fun.

phillyfan26 said:

15 months, selt-taught.

Awesome. I had 6 months of lessons from my dad, and taught myself the rest of the way.

I like to think that I've developed my own sound, but probably not.

It really is pretty easy. The solo has given me trouble more because I haven't found many good tabs of it than anything. The rest is very easy.

Ultraviolet and the ZooTV version of Bullet are the only two U2 songs I can't play technically.

LemonMelon said:

Awesome. I had 6 months of lessons from my dad, and taught myself the rest of the way.

I like to think that I've developed my own sound, but probably not.

My style is very choppy chords. Example: the Ziggy Stardust Live version of Moonage Daydream's chorus, where Ronson plays three chords, all very choppy. That's how I play a lot of chords.

phillyfan26 said:
I've got five finished songs for my upcoming acoustic album now. :up:

The titles, by the way:
Last Stand
I Fall Down
Fireworks
Quiet Soul
Floating in Between

I also have a few works in progress: Buildings Fall/Rubble, Chaos, and American Yellow.

phillyfan26 said:

The titles, by the way:
Last Stand
I Fall Down
Fireworks
Quiet Soul
Floating in Between

I also have a few works in progress: Buildings Fall/Rubble, Chaos, and American Yellow.

:up: Cool. Be sure to upload it somehow so B&C-goers can tear it to shreds. :wink:

I am seriously working on a rock opera right now. And I'm about 4 songs away from finishing it.

phillyfan26 said:
It really is pretty easy. The solo has given me trouble more because I haven't found many good tabs of it than anything. The rest is very easy.

Ultraviolet and the ZooTV version of Bullet are the only two U2 songs I can't play technically.

How is Ultra Violet hard?

And ZooTV Bullet, if you could get it, looks like it would be so much fun to play.

Personally, I wish I'd learnt The Electric Co. I never got around to it when I played regularly, and nowadays, well, I haven't touched the guitar in about 3 years.

Axver said:

Personally, I wish I'd learnt The Electric Co.

Not that hard at all. You could learn it easily.

An Cat Dubh is another favorite of mine. :rockon: The middle section is perfect for jamming.

All of my songs are lyrics I wrote first, and then wrote music around. I think that's backwards from the typical writing style.

Each set of lyrics has a specific mindset I was in. Three of those songs are dedicated to girls, one is in character, one is religious, one is a critique of a particular classmates delve into alcohol, and two have no meaning whatsoever.

Guys, my band is better than yours.

Except for the part where it only exists in my head. :(

LemonMelon said:
An Cat Dubh is another favorite of mine. :rockon: The middle section is perfect for jamming.

Oh yes, that was another one of my favourites to play. In fact, I probably played it the most. It's awesome.

Axver said:
How is Ultra Violet hard?

And ZooTV Bullet, if you could get it, looks like it would be so much fun to play.

Personally, I wish I'd learnt The Electric Co. I never got around to it when I played regularly, and nowadays, well, I haven't touched the guitar in about 3 years.

I don't know. I just suck at it. It has no basic chords, which is where my bread and butter is, so I'm not too good at it.

I've worked out half the solo, and it's a lot of fun. I wish I had a decent amp and some pedals, cause then it would really rock.

Electric Co. is easy. The intro, the solo, the verses, the chorus, the outro ... man it kicks a lot of ass.

phillyfan26 said:
All of my songs are lyrics I wrote first, and then wrote music around. I think that's backwards from the typical writing style.

Each set of lyrics has a specific mindset I was in. Three of those songs are dedicated to girls, one is in character, one is religious, one is a critique of a particular classmates delve into alcohol, and two have no meaning whatsoever.

It not necessarily backwards...it's not the way I write, but that's OK. :shrug:

I write very little from personal experience, and when I do, I make sure it's as veiled as possible.

Axver said:

Mine too, unfortunately. My tenative plan is to record my album with a pianist friend who has some recording equipment. That's the only band I have, as of right now.

phillyfan26 said:

When I was 15-16 and more into playing guitar than I am now, I took a break from writing prose to do some songs and I did exactly the same thing. I found it much easier to create music around my lyrics.

Axver said:

:tsk: We're all good in our heads.

It's another thing to be trashed my emo kids on myspace. That actually happened to me once, and I saved the email, if you don't believe me. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

I write very little from personal experience, and when I do, I make sure it's as veiled as possible.

I actually think it is, but that's more because I'm not really a musician, I'm a writer.

I can't avoid it. I have no inspiration to write impersonal lyrics. I have, on occassion, but that's not what motivates me.

I actually really like my lyrics on a few of the songs, too, and I think they work. I'm tempted to post them, but realize this is the Internetz at the same time.

phillyfan26 said:

Mine too, unfortunately. My tenative plan is to record my album with a pianist friend who has some recording equipment. That's the only band I have, as of right now.

I never knew anybody who was musical. One of my friends reckoned he could sing or play drums but never did anything about either. So with no real reason to keep playing, I just fell out of practice with my guitar and returned to writing.

But this reminds me of a great notice I saw at university: "SHIT BAND LOOKING FOR SHIT DRUMMER AIMING TO BECOME DECENT."

I veil them, too, by the way. I'd be interested to know if the girls notice the references though. Particularly in my song "Fireworks" which is completely about one night with one girl. It's vague, but enough that I think she might get it.

phillyfan26 said:

I actually really like my lyrics on a few of the songs, too, and I think they work. I'm tempted to post them, but realize this is the Internetz at the same time.

Grow a pair and march over to Dream Out Loud. Post a fake setlist while you're over there. :wink:

Axver said:
I never knew anybody who was musical. One of my friends reckoned he could sing or play drums but never did anything about either. So with no real reason to keep playing, I just fell out of practice with my guitar and returned to writing.

But this reminds me of a great notice I saw at university: "SHIT BAND LOOKING FOR SHIT DRUMMER AIMING TO BECOME DECENT."

My one buddy is a guitarist, and is actually skilled, but has no motivation to be in a band. He can play "What Would You Say" by Dave Matthews Band, which is a difficult riff.

LemonMelon said:
Grow a pair and march over to Dream Out Loud. Post a fake setlist while you're over there. :wink:

I'm not embarassed at all. I'm worried about having them stolen.

LemonMelon said:

I'm similar. All of my lyrics from personal experience are so cryptic that when I look back at them, I'm not even 100% sure what they're about.

I just love imagery. I particularly seem to have a thing for skies on fire. I suppose this is of no surprise to you guys, knowing my appreciation of all things atmospheric.

Axver said:

Awesome. That might be my notice around school.

Axver said:
I'm similar. All of my lyrics from personal experience are so cryptic that when I look back at them, I'm not even 100% sure what they're about.

I just love imagery. I particularly seem to have a thing for skies on fire. I suppose this is of no surprise to you guys, knowing my appreciation of all things atmospheric.

I hate imagery, for the most part. When I use it, it's metaphorical for people. I realized recently that I should be a psychologist. I'm all about people, first and foremost.

LemonMelon said:

:wink: Not by you, of course. But by the Internet surfers and whatnot.

Then again, five threads of Liechtenstein planning couldn't be found, so what the hell do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom