The Ouagadougou Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, NYC looks fucking terrifying. I don't ever intend to go there. Maybe the outskirts, to ride some of its trains. But not the city proper.

phillyfan26 said:
I don't like NYC. Hate the sports fans, think the city's a mess.

Oh the fans are assholes, but they are losers now (superbowl = blocked from my brain) so its dealable.

i love a vast public transit system and always something to do and millions of amazing restaurants. water? did i say i was headed for water fountain?

Well I've never been to America, and have no intention of ever going there, so I can't really contribute. So I'll talk about Asia!

Phnom Penh is a great place - a bit rustic, but really charming. Kuala Lumpur... Nah, don't even think about it. Singapore, just like Kuala Lumpur, only better.

One of these days, I want to see all fifty American states, and as many of its other territories as possible. I think that would be a really interesting thing to do. Plus, in political debates, I can pwn the "but you're not American, you can't have an opinion!" n00bs by asking them "so, how many of your own states have you visited?"

Though I need to do all of Australia's states and territories first. I can't believe I'm in my 10th year here and I've only seen three. Though they mostly are mighty big states.

Hey, Danimal, are you indoctrinating your little brother to Bowie? You'd better. You're his fucking mentor now. The catholic church says so.

I love the people of Philadelphia. I drove down to Philly with some buddies last Saturday, and while navigating in the traffic (which was at a standstill), my buddy leans out the window and asks the guy in the other lane if he could let us in. Completely straight-faced, the guy goes, "Five bucks, buddy." My buddy, who's an idiot, turns to us with semi-scared shock, as we all start cracking up. As we pull in front, the guy grins a little and nods to us, knowing he got my buddy.

Damn you, Nate.

I can talk about southeast Queensland.

Which SE QLD city epically phails the most?
4. Sunshine Coast: It's just some coastal towns pretending to be something more urban, north of Brisbane. Less whored out to tourists than the Gold Coast. Flaky and shithouse, but comparatively less so.
3. Brisbane: Brisvegas is right. It would like to think it's entertaining but it's not. The fucking ugly motorway along the river does nothing to help it, but some recent redevelopment has improved the place somewhat. And St Lucia is a nice suburb. The rest can go fuck itself.
2. Gold Coast: Hideousness. So horrendously whored out to tourists, and not a semblance of urban planning in sight. Gigantor muthafuckin' PHAILURE.
1. Ipswich: Biggest hole in the world. Enough said.

LemonMelon said:
Hey, Danimal, are you indoctrinating your little brother to Bowie? You'd better. You're his fucking mentor now. The catholic church says so.

He won't listen. He saw the cover of Low and thinks Bowie's too feminine. "He thinks he's a girl!"

My brother's buy rap songs on iTunes. It's uncontrollable.

Axver said:
One of these days, I want to see all fifty American states, and as many of its other territories as possible. I think that would be a really interesting thing to do. Plus, in political debates, I can pwn the "but you're not American, you can't have an opinion!" n00bs by asking them "so, how many of your own states have you visited?"

I just don't want to go there...

Axver said:
Though I need to do all of Australia's states and territories first. I can't believe I'm in my 10th year here and I've only seen three. Though they mostly are mighty big states.

Same here! I've been to Queensland, Western Australia, Victoria (obviously), NSW and South Australia, but not the others.

Melbourne's still the best though. Sydney's mediocre, unfriendly and tries too hard, Perth is quiet, I can't really remember Queensland and Adelaide, well, meh.

LemonMelon said:

I have. Despite being frigid in late April, it's a great place. Loved the accents too. :)

Our high school baseball team's pitching coach is from Boston. Awesome accent.

Axver said:
Frankly, NYC looks fucking terrifying. I don't ever intend to go there. Maybe the outskirts, to ride some of its trains. But not the city proper.

but you can ride all the way underground the city. damn you people are afraid of crowds.

ax earlier today (saturday...well techinically its sunday but i'm talking about sat.) i passed the lone philadelphia trolly route. i thought of you. that's tram, not trolly.

States I've been to: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, New York, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Texas, Florida.

That's ... 14.

phillyfan26 said:
I love the people of Philadelphia. I drove down to Philly with some buddies last Saturday, and while navigating in the traffic (which was at a standstill), my buddy leans out the window and asks the guy in the other lane if he could let us in. Completely straight-faced, the guy goes, "Five bucks, buddy." My buddy, who's an idiot, turns to us with semi-scared shock, as we all start cracking up. As we pull in front, the guy grins a little and nods to us, knowing he got my buddy.

Damn you, Nate.

this is exactly why i hate philly. what toolbags/douches. not you pfan, but the rest of the city.

:wave: to everyone who just said hi.

phillyfan26 said:

Damn you, Nate.

:lol: Been to Philly four times, and I can attest to this; you have some crazy folks out there. Not much brotherly love, but I don't expect that from huge cities.

phillyfan26 said:

He won't listen. He saw the cover of Low and thinks Bowie's too feminine. "He thinks he's a girl!"

My brother's buy rap songs on iTunes. It's uncontrollable.

Dear god...rap? What kind of rap? It's a slippery slope from there.

major_panic said:
I just don't want to go there...

I think it's an interesting study in socio-cultural/political/religious phailure writ large.

Same here! I've been to Queensland, Western Australia, Victoria (obviously), NSW and South Australia, but not the others.

Melbourne's still the best though. Sydney's mediocre, unfriendly and tries too hard, Perth is quiet, I can't really remember Queensland and Adelaide, well, meh.

I've only been to Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria. How pathetic is that? I want to do the Great Ocean Road through to South Australia and the ferry down to Tassie this year if I can find anybody who wants to come with me (and in the case of the Great Ocean Road, can actually, you know, DRIVE). I'd love to go to WA. Perth sounds really nice. 2 hours and 200 years behind, but nice.

Melbourne is the best city I have ever been to. Wellington is second. Wellington would be first if it hadn't torn up its trams. That's what gives Melbourne the edge. I say that not out of my usual bias, but out of the fact that it really does make the city more livable.

major_panic said:
Well I've never been to America, and have no intention of ever going there, so I can't really contribute. So I'll talk about Asia!

Phnom Penh is a great place - a bit rustic, but really charming. Kuala Lumpur... Nah, don't even think about it. Singapore, just like Kuala Lumpur, only better.

Bangkok is crowded, though hilarious ads on the sky train. I liked Chiang Mai. India = every city is crowded.

/me in asia

LemonMelon said:
Dear god...rap? What kind of rap? It's a slippery slope from there.

I don't know, but it's shit.

His idea of rock is Linkin Park.

I don't like to think about it much.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't know, but it's shit.

His idea of rock is Linkin Park.

I don't like to think about it much.

Sometimes it really sucks being an only child. Part of me wishes I had a little brother to steer towards the straight and narrow.

But then I read this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom