The One-Hit Wonders of the 2000's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
In the numerous TV specials on VH-1 in 2014, who do you think will be considered as the "one-hit wonders" of the 2000's so far? The decade's almost half-over and I was curious.

My big one is The Darkness. I Believe in a Thing Called Love was MASSIVE, and although Growing on Me had modest success, Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman has done nothing (at least over here in NA). I bet they'll be considered a one-hit wonder in 2014.

Permission To Land was the best album of 2003 and therefore The Darkness can't just be considered a one hit wonder

:wink:

I agree with Salome - The Darkness is huge across the pond and around the world. The US just didn't catch on.

Oh I agree, I really like The Darkness too.

The only thing to keep in mind with one-hit wonders is that they're the focus of American TV. So we have to consider this in light of that.

For example, Aqua was a one-hit wonder here with Barbie Girl, but they were huge in Europe. Same with other bands that are big over here (Nickelback comes to mind) but might get one hit in Europe.

If the eternal pains in the arse Franz and crew dont produce a follow up single very soon, they will be doomed to the pits of one hit wonderdom.

Angela Harlem said:
If the eternal pains in the arse Franz and crew dont produce a follow up single very soon, they will be doomed to the pits of one hit wonderdom.

They've had quite a few hits in England, I think they've just released singles much later elsewhere.

Regardless, I wouldnt call them a one hit wonder by any means.

modest mouse - Float On

I don't even know if this song is big enough to be considered a hit. But it will undoubtedly be their one and only radio hit ever

u2popmofo said:

They've had quite a few hits in England, I think they've just released singles much later elsewhere.

Regardless, I wouldnt call them a one hit wonder by any means.

Thats not too entirely surprising I spose. Though Take Me Out is their only claim to fame in my part of the world, and like all good horses, the radio is giving it a mighty flogging. Its helped them secure a spot as one of the 'hottest' bands of the moment, I just hope they and their label have the goods to follow it up. I look at people like Alanis Morisette who's fame really only lasted here for as long as the singles were being released off Jagged Little Pill, and while her star only shone for a few years, she got something like 8 singless off a 13 track album from it. And while I cant stand her, full credit to her for being as successful as she was. I know she has done a lot more work than that album and had more success than I am dexcribing, but I guess this is a result of the backwater I live in lol.

I think I lost the point I was trying to make .... :D

The Calling.

They played "Turn Back Time" nonstop (still are) here, it became the Stanley Cup theme even. Haven't heard from them since.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I actually like her song. An she's gorgeous, too. (Not that that has anything to do with her musical talent.):wave:

Gorgeous?? Do people really think so?? I think she's hideous, especially with that stupid dye job on her hair -- if she really wants to just be herself, I don't see how hair dye is supposed to achieve that goal. Her song is okay, but only while it's actually playing. Then something better comes on, and you forget all about it, and it doesn't even have a catchy enough hook to stick in your head all day, like the oh-so aggravating Avril and Britney songs of the world.

And speaking of Avril and Britney, I'm sure we all hoped and prayed that they too would be one-hit wonders, but they're not, so I don't even know what to think anymore. But here's hoping we hear no more of: Ashlee Simpson; JoJo; Ryan Cabrera; Eamon (that's a safe bet, actually); and Hilary Duff's sister Hailey (why was a recording contract necessary for this girl??).

paxetaurora said:
Actually, I have heard FF's "Darts of Pleasure" on XM a lot lately...perhaps the next US single?

In the UK, Darts of Pleasure was their single before Take Me Out. It came out last summer as an EP. Who knows in the US though, it could be their next single here.

Muse did the same thing in the US, followed up Time is Running Out with Hysteria. It was the other way around in the UK.

First of all, I like your topic, secondly can I cross post this on a general music forum as I think that it would be a great topic of dicussion, I will give you credit of course.
my answer:

the 1985 song by the bowl of soup guys.

Back
Top Bottom