The one American thing or pastime you find hard to get into...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tilli said:
:D

here's an example:

Owned-Mickey-DomoKid.jpg

:lol:

TheQuiet1 said:
Nope but I've got it! It wasn't an 'lt' ending- it was teached/taught. Americans would say 'teached' right? Whilst we'd say 'taught'.

Besides I say 'owned', don't you then?

TheQuiet, as a stickler for grammer, I have to say that it's not "Americans" that say stupid things like "teached" or "knowed"....it's stupid Americans. We actually learn the proper way to say such things in school. Most of us say words properly. However, there are quite a few stupid people out there who speak a dialect of stupidity. :huh: The majority say things correctly, but those who do not are the ones that stand out.

Utoo said:

TheQuiet, as a stickler for grammer, I have to say that it's not "Americans" that say stupid things like "teached" or "knowed"....it's stupid Americans. We actually learn the proper way to say such things in school. Most of us say words properly. However, there are quite a few stupid people out there who speak a dialect of stupidity. :huh: The majority say things correctly, but those who do not are the ones that stand out.

It's a relief to hear this. :up:

One more reason why our president is not the greatest example of a good American! :wink:

Kristie said:
not to get off topic, but... why do non-US people get so belligerant about us calling it soccer? I've never met anyone here who gets mad that you call it football... it's like pop and soda people. Soda people get mad about it, pop people say "Hmm, that's different. Let's be friends!"

because it is called football everywhere else, and has been called that.

i mean if someone came up with a new term for basketball and stated calling it that, american basketball fans would get annoyed.

don't come up with new names for established sports.:wink:

the rockin edge said:

because it is called football everywhere else, and has been called that.

Now, I wouldn't say that. In South Africa, for instance, people refer to it as both soccer and football interchangeably. It depends on where you live in the country. And no, not just the Yank immigrants call it soccer. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Now, I wouldn't say that. In South Africa, for instance, people refer to it as both soccer and football interchangeably. It depends on where you live in the country. And no, not just the Yank immigrants call it soccer. :wink:

have they always done that? or did they used to call it football everywhere but started calling it soccer because of influences?

i'm not sure who even came up with the term "soccer", but i am sure that the large majority of the world calls the game football.

the rockin edge said:

don't come up with new names for established sports.:wink:

Technically, it was called "cuju" when it was first played in China in 200 BC....:wink:

the rockin edge said:

have they always done that? or did they used to call it football everywhere but started calling it soccer because of influences?

i'm not sure who even came up with the term "soccer", but i am sure that the large majority of the world calls the game football.

I'm not sure if it has always been that way, but it has been since I've been born, at least.

Believe it or not, "soccer" was invented by the Brits!

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/why.html

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/short history of football.htm

College basketball & college football MY GAWD, there are thousands and thousands of teams:huh:

the rockin edge said:

:hmm: interesting.

but still, the official name is football. the federation is FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) :wink:

we should get back on topic though :shifty:

I like you. :up:

(as if you need my approval or something :rolleyes: lol)

We call football both, much to the chargrin of many Australians who are secretly poms anyway, but we do this because we have 4 codes of football in this country. If something can be kicked, Australians just love to have a go. So we need to differentiate.
:tsk:

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
So what came first? American Football, Australian Football or Rugby???

I'm guessing Rugby. :wink:

i dunno, look it up zootles :wink:

Angela Harlem said:

I like you. :up:

(as if you need my approval or something :rolleyes: lol)

We call football both, much to the chargrin of many Australians who are secretly poms anyway, but we do this because we have 4 codes of football in this country. If something can be kicked, Australians just love to have a go. So we need to differentiate.
:tsk:

:wink:

:cool:

:lol:

4 footballs? :ohmy: so you have "football", "aussie rules football"...and what are the other 2? or are you counting rugby?

Actually, AFL (Australian Football League/Aussie Rules) was the first "coded" football ever. We have this show called 20-1 which counts down the 20 best of any given thing and recently the topic was Aussie inventions and we were proud to lay claim to the first code of football. This little fact floored me. I thought Soccer/football was surely the oldest and first. While it may be the oldest, it wasn't a recognised code of football until after we invented AFL.
So! Confused yet? :wink: We play football (Soccer), also AFL, and we have the Rugby Union and Rugby League codes as well - both very similar games but Union wipes the floor with League (which is another topic altogether :lol: )

Ball mad, we are! :up:

Back
Top Bottom