The one American thing or pastime you find hard to get into...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely I don't get the obsession with cars. There are 8 ZILLION car commercials on TV every night. Americans seem to have at least 2 cars per household, and are constantly talking about them, tinkering with them, and the more annoying ones rev them as LOUDLY as possible, especially when passing me on my bike. Do they think I'm going to be impressed by this?? :rolleyes:

It seems like even if people wanted to walk, there isn't any choice, it's programmed into the landscape! Where I live there aren't any sidewalks, making it difficult for me to walk to the store which isn't even that far away (maybe a 15 minute walk).

I was never really into any sports so that doesn't count, but I certainly don't get the appeal of football. Baseball and basketball I can see....but football bores me to tears. All that stopping and starting.

Then of course there is the food. I looooooooooove food but man oh man....I can see why so many are so fat! :yikes:

randhail said:
Baseball is only boring to boring people.

I beg to differ. :angry:

While I don't really get baseball, I do enjoy going to a game - kind of strange, I guess. :shrug:

Big SUV's - with the price of oil these days it's ridiculous people still feel the need to brag that their car is the biggest on the block. Yep, have fun bragging while you go broke by filling that tank!

The obsession with celebrity - it's really reached an all time high and I'm tired of it. :yawn:

You know something Mrs. Edge - i was just talking about the amount of cars there are in this country (UK( alone and how crazy it is that people drive far too often&can't just walk to the shop now&again instead of guzzling more&more petrol :huh: oil is going to run out very soon and yet more and more cars get on to the road - crazy :tsk: :down:

indra said:

You don't like hummers? :eyebrow:

Oh! You meant the car.... :shifty: :D

:lol:

I used to play baseball but I had a hard time watching on TV.

I'd much rather play sports then watch them. Although, like others have said, it is more fun to go to the game then watch it on TV.

While I like to shoot baskets, I can't watch the game.

Any hockey I never really liked at all.

randhail said:
Baseball is only boring to boring people.

I'm guessing you are a big fan of dressage too then, since the only people I've met that hate it are boring jerks. :)

(of course it's not a "typical" american sport...)

"Parties" where the point turns out to be to sell you stuff

Superstores, Super Size, Super Value, Super Whatever

Jell-O "salads" full of marshmallows and canned fruit

"campgrounds" full of RVs...what's the matter with a tent? Just stay in a hotel if you hate being outdoors that much...

SUVs
strip malls
Republicans (most)
the attitude that, "if i can afford it, it is might right to have it"
sprawl
Super-Size anything
not much for football, but i do like baseball
our food varies -- it can be excellent, it can be shite; you sort of get what you pay for

other than that, i find that many of the things complained about (celebrity, politics) are fairly universal. there seemed to me to be many more tabloidy celebs-on-vacation magazines in Europe than over here. granted, LA is kind of the epicenter of the oppression, but it's now quite global.

sports... I enjoy playing almost any sport, though. Except maybe football. Nascar I really can't understand, what's fun about watching cars go around in a circle for hours?

PBJ :drool: ...though replace "J" with "strawberry preserves"

Gigantic cars. I'm happy if mine goes.

Deep-fried turkey (not to mention the turducken)... and that thing where you stick the can of beer in the chicken, that's weird too.

Any meal that involves tofu.

Designer clothes, though that's not necessarily "American"

White bread

Gummy bears (again, not necessarily american, but they're still gross)

American Idol

breast implants

that's it for the moment, I suppose

I love white bread, esp toasted or as a bacon or sausage sandwich :drool:

American white bread isn't as good as British white bread though. It always tastes really sweet and looks really yellowish.

Not wanting to get territorial over bread or anything....

;)

I don't get the whole concept of Sports Entertainment! Every sporting event you go to in the US, there's like music, fanfare, contests & prizes to be won, cheerleaders and the like. Whereas if you go to a soccer game or cricket game overseas, there's none of these frills attached. I prefer to enjoy the game, really. The Superbowl is the absolute extreme of this phenomenon!

beau2ifulday said:
American white bread isn't as good as British white bread though. It always tastes really sweet and looks really yellowish.

you're right there :up:

Kristie said:
Nascar I really can't understand, what's fun about watching cars go around in a circle for hours?

can't believe i forgot nascar.

i have asked several nascar fans that very question & they always avoid answering it :blahblah:

beau2ifulday said:

Not wanting to get territorial over bread or anything....

;)

YELLOW WHITE BREAD!
I dont even wanna know where your getting your bread...
someone probably whizzed in yours

baseball..is actually a sport that has english origins

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

The obsession with celebrity - it's really reached an all time high and I'm tired of it. :yawn:

:up:

I also don't get the whole fascination with guns; collecting them, talking about them, shooting things up with them. It bothers me greatly.

I also find baseball very boring. I went to a Blue Jays game a few years ago and nearly fell asleep. :yawn:

angelordevil said:

I also find baseball very boring. I went to a Blue Jays game a few years ago and nearly fell asleep. :yawn:

Uh, that's b/c you were at a Blue Jay's game. ;)

White bread is so bad for you. Wheat is where it's at. :wink:

I don't get the number 2 pencil. Why number 2? Who made this decision?

Back
Top Bottom