The OFFICIAL US Open + "Let's Go ANDRE" thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Thanks for the memories, Andre
__________________

__________________
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Sigh. I'm sad to see Andre go. I was privileged enough to watch him play Safin at the Australian Open a couple of years ago; the best live match I've been to so far. Thanks for the memories, Andre...
__________________

__________________
Saracene is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #48
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,362
Local Time: 07:29 PM
It's starting to sink in. It's weird to see him go. It's like losing that last part of your childhood like I mentioned. Everyone I've ever cheered for in any sport has now retired. Who am I gonna cheer for now? this is completely selfish I know but It's not the same when you don't have that overwhelming feeling of wanting somene to win. Roddick is o.k. Blake is great, Federer is hard not to like cause he's just damn good, Nadal reminds me of Agassi in ways, Baghdatis made a fan out of me the other night. I just wonder now if I'm ever gonna have the same feeling watching tennis ever again. You know the one where you can't sit still and you agonize over every single point lol. With Agassi retiring it's likely I'll have to learn to enjoy the game in a completely different way now. As for this US Open I think it would be great if either Blake or Roddick could win it. I think I'm gonna pull for Blake. How amazing woudl it have been though to see Andy vs Andre tonight. Anyways he went from "Image is everything" to "Impact is everything" and wow did he ever make an impact.
__________________
Hallucination is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
pepokiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 7,973
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Im gonna go for Blake... all the way... a man that does this



for his idol, like I would, deserves all my apreciation



I hope he gets to the finals and wears denim shorts



and remember... LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER
__________________
pepokiss is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 07:29 PM
I cried at Andre yesterday, what an athlete. He matured into a fine person as well.

I am rooting for Blake, love him. He's lovely to look at too
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #51
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,362
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pepokiss
Im gonna go for Blake... all the way... a man that does this



for his idol, like I would, deserves all my apreciation
I hope he gets to the finals and wears denim shorts
and remember... LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER
I agree pepokiss. I'm gonna cheer for Blake now also. I doubt Nike will allow him to wear denim shorts though but some type of "fashionable" tribute would be sweet.
__________________
Hallucination is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 05:29 PM
I didn't get to see Andre's last match. I saw a bit of the previous one that was replayed on USA late at night.

Long live Agassi!

He's on the cover of the L.A. Times today, but I can't get the picture online. Photo gallery on the site too, including the famous mullets
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
It's starting to sink in. It's weird to see him go. It's like losing that last part of your childhood like I mentioned. Everyone I've ever cheered for in any sport has now retired. Who am I gonna cheer for now? this is completely selfish I know but It's not the same when you don't have that overwhelming feeling of wanting somene to win. Roddick is o.k. Blake is great, Federer is hard not to like cause he's just damn good, Nadal reminds me of Agassi in ways, Baghdatis made a fan out of me the other night. I just wonder now if I'm ever gonna have the same feeling watching tennis ever again. You know the one where you can't sit still and you agonize over every single point lol. With Agassi retiring it's likely I'll have to learn to enjoy the game in a completely different way now. As for this US Open I think it would be great if either Blake or Roddick could win it. I think I'm gonna pull for Blake. How amazing woudl it have been though to see Andy vs Andre tonight. Anyways he went from "Image is everything" to "Impact is everything" and wow did he ever make an impact.
I know what you mean. I'm 22, and I originally gave tennis a chance when I was 6 or 7 years old, a little kid, because my older brother played and watched it all the time. Given the time frame we're talking about, the entire generation of players that I grew up with are now all gone, none more painful to me than Agassi. I mean:

Thomas Muster retired in 99
Jim Courier retired in 00
Patrick Rafter retired in 02
Pete Sampras retired in 02
Richard Karjicek retired in 03
Alex Corretja retired in 03
Michael Chang retired in 03
Goran Ivanisevic retired in 04
Todd Martin retired in 04
and Andre Agassi retired in 06

Nobody from that generation is left.

This must be how you 40+ year olds felt when there was no one left from the Ashe/Connors/Borg/McEnroe/Lendl generation.

The 'new' generation isn't looking that great yet. We've got this one seemingly unbeatable player - Roger Federer - and maybe three others who are all obviously incredibly talented but have all failed to show any kind of consistancy yet - Andy Roddick, Layton Hewitt, and Rafael Nadal. I like James Blake but I don't think his name will be spoken in the same sentences with Roddick, Hewitt, and Nadal when all is said and done.

I don't know. I just want Federer to have some consistant competition because it's boring watching him just decimate everyone that gets in his way. I think Nadal and Roddick are the best chances for consistant competition for Federer. I think Hewitt's game just isn't powerful enough.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Just finished lunch while watching Roddick finish off Becker in 3 straight sets. Showing women now, and supposedly some Agassi tributes and highlights to follow. Needless to say, I hit the record button to see what I missed yesterday
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #55
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,362
Local Time: 07:29 PM
I know exactly what you mean about an entire generation being gone namkcuR. I started paying attention in about 1989 It's hard to remember but I know it was before Agassi won his first Grand Slam. back then there was also Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker. It's amazing how many players came in after Agassi who managed to reach the top 5 or 3 or even number one yet even those players faded out before Agassi who was still ranked number one midway through the 2003 season. His longevity is phenomenal especially when you consider how far Sampras's game had fallen in his final two years of his career. Agassi's game never faltered and in fact probably was still improving had it not been for his wonky back. His serve was better than ever, his volleying was better than ever, his composure was better than ever and his fitness level was second to none(well maybe Nadal but he's a freak lol). It's a real shame his back gave out otherwise it's not unreasonable to think he could've seriously been a Grand Slam contender untill he was 40(maybe). I mean really think about it, who in the history of the game was still improving 21 years into their career? It's unreal.

AS for today Roddick looked awesome. I actually found myself pulling for Becker. I just figured what an amazing story that woudl be if he had gone on to do something special(again). Nadal looked good, Haas vs Ginepri was a great match.
__________________
Hallucination is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
pepokiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 7,973
Local Time: 08:29 PM
I also was rooting for Becker today... he showed me yesterday that he's a great player, whatever last name he has...

I would've loved a Becker-Blake finale.. but that's hard...


LETS GO BLAKE!!!


ANYONE BUT NADAL!!!




(could you imagine what've happened if the final got to Agassi vs Federer 2?.... and imagine a 5th set recovering triumph for Agassi... now THAT... god... I can feel ACTUAL tears of joy for the awesomness that thing could've been...

IMAGINE THE ROAR OF THE CROWD if that would've happened... but it didn't... LEGEND LIVE FOREVER... LONG LIVE AGASSI)
__________________
pepokiss is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #57
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: still waiting...for the dawn
Posts: 264
Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR


The 'new' generation isn't looking that great yet. We've got this one seemingly unbeatable player - Roger Federer - and maybe three others who are all obviously incredibly talented but have all failed to show any kind of consistancy yet - Andy Roddick, Layton Hewitt, and Rafael Nadal. I like James Blake but I don't think his name will be spoken in the same sentences with Roddick, Hewitt, and Nadal when all is said and done.

I don't know. I just want Federer to have some consistant competition because it's boring watching him just decimate everyone that gets in his way. I think Nadal and Roddick are the best chances for consistant competition for Federer. I think Hewitt's game just isn't powerful enough.


I am also sick of seeing Federer win all the time.But i think Nadal is steadily improving on grass and the hard courts, and he is the best bet to consistently challenge Roger. I dont think Andy can beat Federer even 3 times out of 10, let alone challenge him on an even level. His game is too one-dimensional.
Maybe a youngster like Gasquet or Murray could come on leaps and bounds and challenge for the top spot.
__________________
shortfuse is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Lleyton Vs Roddick tommrow

I'm most excited as FINALLY Australian Free-to-Air Tele will begin its coverage of the open on Thursday!...which is just great as most aussies are already out!
__________________
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,951
Local Time: 01:29 AM


I remember the mullet, and him being the only guy wearing bright coloured shirts on the field.

Talk about that amazing comeback from no. 141 on ATP chart back to the top and winning more big tournaments. One of the very few players who won all 4 big ones, and the Olympic medal, Davis cup and the Masters.

It's the end of a generation with him - Sampras, Courier, Chang, Ivanisevic etc... the follow ups to the likes of McEnroe, Edberg, Lendl and Becker in the 80's.

I don't see anyone being as good and as consistant as those players today except Federer.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Andre Agassi is scheduled to be on Larry King tomorrow at 6:00PM PST.

I watched Andre's last set & tribute on Monday, and as MrsSpringsteen, I cried
__________________

__________________
Lila64 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com