The official Super 12 thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
As we all know rugby union is the "game they play in Heaven" and the greatest sport ever, it surprises me that I didn't see a Super 12 thread here! So, let's talk, let's pick. If you think you're any good, go sign up on virtualsuper12.co.nz and try out your stuff, though you're four rounds behind so you won't get anywhere. I'm currently 60th out of +120,000 thanks to an incredible opening week (I made it to 23rd at one point).

Personally, I support the Wellington Hurricanes. :reject: The team that is working on perfecting the fine art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The team that won a game in Australia and two in South Africa before coming back to NZ, only to lose AT HOME to the BLOU FECKIN' BULLS. 12-21. How the zark do you win three games in a row in the lands of the enemy only to lose in Wellington to the worst Super 12 team ever? Embarrassing. Here's hoping for - but not expecting - better luck this week.

My picks this week:
Cats versus Highlanders (13+)
Hurricanes (1-12) versus Stormers
Sharks versus Brumbies (1-12)
Waratahs (13+) versus Bulls
The other four teams have byes this week.

And I can't say I'm keen on the expanded Super 14 that will commence next year. Yes, the competition needed to be expanded, but no, not the way it has been. Creating another team in Australia and another in South Africa will only serve to weaken the teams already there. What they should have done is brought in a Pacific Islands team and a club from Argentina. I'd propose that in both regions, they have a competition later in the year between various clubs and the champion progresses to next year's Super 14. Of course, I don't think New Zealand would ever approve that, as we're quite happy to poach Pacific Island players and train them to play for our NPC, Super 12, and ultimately national teams. But hey, if they want to play for the greatest rugby nation on earth, I'm all for it! :wink:

Now that I've rambled on, I shall close with two words:

Go 'Canes!

Anyone?

Hurricanes 12 - 9 Stormers

We won. Without a single try scored in a messy, scrappy, dismal game. I'm not sure whether to be happy or disappointed. :|

The Highlanders also got up over the Cats 1-12. Can't remember the exact score, but only one try was scored. Here's hoping the two remaining games are worthwhile. Waratahs versus Bulls is probably just finishing, actually, and most likely the Bulls are back to their losing ways.

I'm glad the Bulls are back to getting pummelled. Because, really, they're shit. When you're that bad, you deserve everything you get. No amount of South African patriotism within me will convince me otherwise. (Plus, they're from the Transvaal - fuckin' Vaalies!)

*sigh* Our national rugby teams keep getting worse every year.

Bump....

I would just like to bring this thread back to the dead to celebrate Aucks brilliant late win against the Sharks.

Surely the Blues are looking good to make the final with the Crusaders....again...again...

Rugby...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Awesome...Super 12 Thread going off.

Well I thought that we could have a little 1 day informal poll for best first-five in the Super 12 competition.

I nominate: C.Spencer:wink:

Now naturally I will be the only one to vote in this I assume. So it looks like Spence is the front runner.

Go Canterbury!!!!!!!! We're gunna win again this season :p
Going to Carisbrook to see the Highlanders V Crusaders.

Auckland??? :eek: Are you going to the Lions V Auckland or All Blacks game? I'll probably hang outside Jade Stadium, me missing out on tickets and all, maybe try and sneak in :D

U2NZ said:
Auckland??? :eek: Are you going to the Lions V Auckland or All Blacks game? I'll probably hang outside Jade Stadium, me missing out on tickets and all, maybe try and sneak in :D

I wish...

Im currently in Australia (The Leaky Boat)...

I'll be at this years Bledisloe though.

timothius said:
It should be noted...

Auckland 13+ vs Wellington

Hey, Timothius, HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE WRONG?

Oh, I am in a gloating mood today!

Venue: Eden Park, Auckland
Final score: Wellington 22-10 Auckland
Axver's pick for Virtual Super 12: Wellington 1-12 :rockon:

WELLINGTON ARE INTO THE SEMIS!

Ooooh, LIFE IS GOOD.

*leads lonely members of the thread in a chant of "Hurricanes! Hurricanes! Hurricanes!"*

:D

Now I'm off to watch Canterbury versus Otago.

Who are you going for, Timothius? I know you naturally hate Canterbury, but an Otago victory may just ruin Auckland's hopes of making the semis.

Personally? I'm behind Otago. Though I did pick Canterbury in Virtual Super 12.

On a side note, I see NSW beat Queensland for the first time ever. I was hoping for an upset ... I hate seeing the Waratahs well and truly #1.

Last edited:
Wellington Beat Aucks for the first time ever as well. So I happily sit behind our 9-1 record against you guys.

Aucks mathamatically are already out I read... so Otago... just because I hate Canterbury.

If Aucks can't make the semis... damn NZ have some strong teams...

The other positive for me though is NSW are sitting top. So I may get to see the semi/final.

Results from tonight:

Canterbury 27-13 Otago
ACT 28-28 Waikato

I think Waikato deserved to win. There was an appallingly high tackle on a Waikato player as he went to score the winning try in the last ten minutes and it should've been a penalty try or AT LEAST a yellow card. But, then again, Waikato missed two crucial penalties. With that draw, the Brumbies are out of contention.

Here's how it looks now for fourth place.

3. Wellington - 34
4. Otago - 27
5. Auckland - 26
6. Bulls - 25

Wellington are safe. They're now into the semis. The Bulls have two games in hand - and the bad news is that they are both against South African teams at the bottom of the ladder. They play the Sharks this week in Durban, then return home to play the Stormers in Pretoria. BUT if the Bulls lose just one of those games, Auckland or Otago could sneak into the semis. Auckland have to beat the Waratahs - which I just don't see happening. Otago play the Chiefs in Hamilton and I can see a Highlanders victory there. Also, Wellington have a tough ask: if they beat Canterbury next week and get a bonus point while denying Canterbury one, I think they can just get a home semi. Not seeing it, though. My final four prediction:

1. Waratahs
2. Canterbury
3. Wellington
4. Otago

In which case, I would be praying that NSW lose to Otago so that Wellington, upon beating Canterbury, get a home final and win the Super 12. Ha, I'll keep dreaming.

I hate to say it, but I can see this being the year of either the Waratahs or Canterbury.

I've got bad news - the Bulls won 23-17 after the Sharks led 17-10 at half time.

Here's how things look at the moment for the semis:

1. Waratahs - 40
2. Canterbury - 39
3. Wellington - 34
4. Bulls - 29
5. Otago - 27
6. Auckland - 26

If the Bulls beat the Stormers, they're into the semis. If they lose, Otago just need to beat Waikato if they're in. Auckland can make it as long as both the Bulls and Otago lose, and they beat the Waratahs.

I really hope the Stormers can pull off a nice win and put a third Kiwi team into the semis (because I'm confident Otago will beat Waikato).

In latest news, the Stormers came back from 13-0 down at half time to beat the Cats 25-20. Now all they have to do is beat the Bulls next week and the Highlanders will make the semis when they defeat Waikato!

Come on Stormers!

Well I went down to the 'house of pain' and got rained on by beer cans, I was holding a Crusaders flag surrounded by Otago fans, all my mates are Otago supporters too. So naturally got rained on by beer :D.

So I predicted our win :D

Oh, bloody hell. Wellington lost 40-20 to Canterbury, with the scoreline not reflective of how close the game really was (at least in the first half), giving Canterbury a bonus point for four tries, and then the Waratahs failed to get a bonus in their win over Auckland so Canterbury finish #1 thanks to points differential.

Wellington now have to make the trek to Sydney for the semi next week.

Oh hell.

What a weekend of results! The Bulls demolished the Stormers 75-15 ( :mad: ) and MOVED INTO THIRD PLACE ON POINTS DIFFERENTIAL. The final four:

1. Canterbury
2. NSW
3. Bulls
4. Wellington

The semis:
Canterbury versus Wellington in Christchurch
NSW versus Bulls in Sydney

I was starting to just faintly think Wellington would beat NSW (as NSW struggled to overcome a depleted Auckland), but against Canterbury? Even with Smith, Umaga, Collins, Hore, Nonu, and such playing a full game, I don't think we can do it.

But at least we made the semis.

Final: Canterbury versus NSW in Christchurch, with victory to Canterbury.

well ... hehehe... he did get everything right ...... any of you guys coming to Christchurch for the final, I'd be surprised if the Bulls beat NSW.

There's no way in the world that NSW will win this thing. They seem to have slipped off, especially with the way they barely won against a weak Auckland.

I'm still hoping we'll be seeing the Hurricanes in the final! But my realistic prediction is that Canterbury and NSW will both win their semis by 1-12.

Back
Top Bottom