The official Rolling Stones vs. The Who thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love them both, but the Stones have a far deeper back catalogue, so I'm going with them.

The Who be FAAAAAAR. It's no contest really, and it's even a silly comparison. The standard comparison is either The Stone vs. The Beatles or Led Zeppelin vs. The Who. Anyway, the thing is, I feel The Who not only have rock's greatest drummer ever (Kieth Moon) rock's greatest bassist ever (John Entwhistle), one of the most talented guitarists/songwriters/singers/keyboardist/composers in rock history (Pete Townshend). And the contest between Mick Jagger and Roger Daltry is absurdly obvious to me. Even if Mick could hold a decent melody long enough to compare to Daltry, there's no doubt who's a better singer and frontman. Daltry shakes his booty, swings his mic in the air, jumps around, yells at the top of his lungs (in key...) and all Jagger can do is perform a sort of epileptic wobble while singing.

This isn't even really taking into consideration their albums or live performances. This is where I do have to give the Stones some credit. They had a fantastic run of albums back in their hay-day. Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, Exile on Main Street, and that other one..right before them (its title currently eludes me). Yeah, those were great albums and the Stones did have a good number of decent singles along the way.

The Who, on the other hand. They perfected the rock opera and released what are undoubtedly three of the great rock albums ever produced. These are of course Tommy, Who's Next, and the criminally underrated Quadrophenia (one of my personal top 5 albums). These three are their obvious works of art, but they are epic masterpieces that drawf any album the Stones have made. Let's not also forget how strong The Who's other "Moon Era" albums were.

Live, it's hard to say. I never saw either band live. Unfortunatly I'm too young. I also refuse to go pay astronomical amounts of money to see Half of the Who life or a dried up, uninspired practically self-mocking shell of the Rolling Stones.

No matter, The Who is obviously my choice, and maybe not so obviously the greater band.

Ah, my good friend Lancemc! We meet again. :)

... it's even a silly comparison.

Nonsense!!! There's nothing like opening with a diplomatic statement. :wink:

Of course they were (and remain) different... but both were innovative in different ways, and both groups certainly have left a great legacy.

I love the Who. I agree that Daltrey has a much stronger voice. As a guitarist, much as I respect and admire Pete Townshend's amazing musical energy and talent, gimme Old Keef's funky riffs anyday.:shrug: That's just me I guess. Overall, my preference varies with mood and circumstance... or possibly pomp and circumstance.

John Entwistle and Ron Wood are both very strong on bass. Charlie Watts and dear old Moony (who was ace) couldn't be more different stylistically.

BUT... I find a lot of the Rolling Stones stuff to be a soundtrack for life.

Not including Brown Sugar. Or Under My Thumb. :eyebrow: I dunno about you folks, but I wouldn't be under (or anywhere near) Jagger's anything, let alone his thumb. I think you are definitely right that the man can't dance and never could - but he had a great stage presence, regardless.

That said... The Who's Baba O'Reilly' apart from the irritating beginning, is absolutely AMAZING and is a treat I could definitely not do without. :drool:

Plus... although this is not the most important point ever made :lol: - The Who inspired my username in a roundabout way! John Squire is a huuuuuuuuge Who fan, and I've personally heard him say that the name Sally Cinnamon was partially inspired by The Who's Sally Simpson. :yes:

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
The Who

Kieth Moon's drumming is so :drool: to listen to, and while I'm not an expert on either band, I just like the Who better...

:yes: on Keith's drumming.

His drumming on the final minute of Bargain(and throughout the song) is some of the best I've ever heard. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
:scream:

LOVE!!!!!!!!! REIGNNNNN OOOO'ER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :hyper: :combust:
:faint:

:ohmy: AAARRRGH! Um, thanks for that little serenade. :eeklaugh:

Love says it doesn't reign o'er those who faint so easily. *sallycinnamon runs away very fast before she gets told off*

:wink:

Last edited:
Love Reign O'er Me is so phenominal...:drool:

I can't beign to describe how truely awesome that song is. It's power.

All of Quadrophenia is just stunning though. The Real Me, I'm One, The Rock, Sea and Sand, Dr. Jimmy, etc etc.

Oh yeah,

QUIET STORM WATER
M-M-MY GENERATION
UPPERS AND DOWNERS
EITHER WAY BLOOD FLOWS!

Yes, you must bow before the awesomeness that is 5:15!

P.S.
Hi Sally.

:mad:

;) :wave:

The Stones.

Let it Bleed? Exile on Main Street?

Definitely the Stones.

the who, by at least 7 or 8 miles.

it's personal preference and taste, but I swear I never got into the stones at all; I've heard all the stuff...it just doesn't do anything for me.
and I love the who, zeppelin, the beatles, etc.

part of it might be jagger; I just don't like his voice that much; but then, I've heard many say that about robert plant, whom I love.

then, it might be their style; they've written alot of what people consider "the classics", but really, apart from "angie", I can't think of a tune that I'd put ahead of the other bands mentioned.

whatever; god bless 'em for still doing it.
.....and the fact that keef is still alive is a miracle.

The Who made better albums, but the Stones had more hit singles. Overall, I'd take the Who just because they're all better musicians (not to knock the Stones, since Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and Keef can rock with anyone).

Even though the Who has better musicians then the Stones, it's the how the songs sound that matter. Even though U2 is the biggest band in the world, Adam and Larry are no where near as skilled as Geddy Lee and Neil Peart. Yet U2 is a much better band then Rush. The Beatles, arguably the biggest band in history, had a very basic and plain drummer, yet the Beatles made good music, didn't they? So ultimately it comes down not to how great the individual musicians are, but how good the different instruments and vocals blend to make great songs.

Oh and i'm going with the Stones :wink:

Back
Top Bottom