The Official Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yertle-the-turtle said:
The big story of the day is not Monica Legwinski signing for Ipswich (that might actually be a good signing) but Wet Spam's amazing coup in signing Mascherano and Tevez. Except it's not confirmed yet.

The whole Abramovich thing surrounding the deal (if there even is a deal) looks very, very dodgy though.

The hammers have pulled of the shocks of the season with those deals , i was shocked when i found out.

newcastle have united's rossi on loan till jan.

Amazing, tevez, & mascherano have been linked with Utd,& Arse, all summer then out of nowhere west ham sneak in, anyone smell a rat, read on,

Premiership: Keep an eye on MSI for future Chelsea deals
David Hulott

"The suspicion is that MSI is being used as a front to buy players in order to keep them out of the hands of Chelsea’s big-money rivals"

It might seem a little unlikely that the transfer of a player between an Argentinean and a Brazilian club could have any significant impact on the Premiership, but the recent deal that took Carlos Tevez from Boca Juniors to Corinthians for a fee of close to £12 million (a Brazilian record) is one that bears closer examination.

Corinthians, mired in debt after years of mismanagement and corruption (as is seemingly obligatory in Brazilian football), entered into a partnership with Media Sports Investments (MSI), a London-based investment group, in December 2004, with a 10-year deal between the two consisting of a £20 million investment from MSI in return for 51% of future profits.

The last month has seen Corinthians, with the help of their new-found backers, also recruit the services of other top players, with Carlos Alberto (scorer of Porto’s first goal in last season’s Champions League final), CSKA Moscow striker Vagner Love and centre-back Sebastian Dominguez from Argentine table-toppers Newell’s Old Boys all moving to Sao Paulo.

The President of MSI is 33-year old Kia Joorabchian (believed to be Iranian), but a certain Russian billionaire and an Israeli agent, Pini Zahavi, are both thought to be involved. Joorabchian has denied Abramovich’s involvement, although he admits that the Russian billionaire is a friend (they also have business links through another Russian billionaire, Boris Berezovsky). Abramovich has also denied having any financial interest in CSKA Moscow, but there is enough evidence to suggest this is dubious at best - a US$54 million three-year deal to have their shirts sponsored by Russian oil company Sibneft, of which Abramovich is still the major shareholder; club president Yevgeny Giner being another “close friend” of Abramovich; the recent controversial signing of Jiri Jarosik (CSKA coach Valeri Gazzayev was furious at the deal).

Whoever is behind the company (and it’s difficult to believe that the aforementioned speculation isn’t without some substance), MSI have wasted little time in making their mark elsewhere, having also signed the River Plate trio of Javier Mascherano (one of the most sought after young players in the game), Maxi Lopez and Lucho Gonzalez. The company are now negotiating where their three amigos will be playing their football in the immediate future, with Benfica having already signed Lopez and Gonzalez said to be interesting Porto.

The suspicion is that MSI is being used as a front to buy players in order to keep them out of the hands of Chelsea’s big-money rivals. This also enables them to farm players out to the likes of Corinthians, where the London club can monitor their progress, safe in the knowledge that they have first shout on their futures if and when they see fit to take them to Stamford Bridge. In doing so, Chelsea are taking the concept of feeder clubs to a whole new level.

Well done to West Ham although it could well be that the 2 players are simply being put in the shop window for the big boys to have a piece come january or next season.

I really hope Milner signs for us although the latest news is that he's travelled back to newcastle.

Newcastle get siberski from city , city get demacus beasley from PSV on loan.

Oh dear, it seems the "special one" is a tad ticked off by the chrome domed pixie's decision to use gallas as part of the cole deal, behind his back, rumblings of discontent at the bridge perhaps.

jimmmm said:
Oh dear, it seems the "special one" is a tad ticked off by the chrome domed pixie's decision to use gallas as part of the cole deal, behind his back, rumblings of discontent at the bridge perhaps.

yes, furious indeed.

what i don't get is why cole was ever mad at arsenal in the first place. what chelsea did was illegal, arsenal have every right to protect their players.

cole was/is under contract and neither he nor chelsea had permission to discuss a new deal. he should have respected that.

the rockin edge said:

i can't wait to hear 1step's view on this. :wink:

well naturally i'm a bit annoyed cos i'm not their greatest fan as you know lol. Also my team are bigger than west ham and have more money so we could have had them too.

But fair play to them, they have the players and all the big teams are annoyed.

Hopefully come september 10th at 3 o clock Olof Mellberg will have Tevez in his pocket all game :wink:

Well, United didn't do much in the market, but 1 piece of work I'm personally over the moon about is windy miller going to join Keano at Sunderland, never thought we'd find anyone daft enough to take him off our hands, maybe Keano's feeling sorry for us, & wanted to help the g$*£ers reduce Uniteds wage bill just a bit more, 16 out of OT since last season just 2 in,& yet people still think were in good shape, God help us when injuries kick in, balsa boy's due a long term lay off soon.

Arsenal wants to buy a very young player from the Sao Paulo Fc (Denilson Pereira Neves ).
How many English players has formed Arsenal in the last 10 years ?
Wenger is ruining English football.

But then ow many English players have left Arsenal for greater things?

Pennant, maybe. And probably Cole will do well at Chelsea as well. Otherwise there's a reason why John Halls is messing around at Stoke.

If there was an English player who was good enough to play at Arsenal, he'd play. That's why Ashley Cole managed to replace Silvinho in the first place.

And it's good business as well. Michael Carrick's a handy player, definitely, but worth 18 million? Not a chance. Wenger was reportedly interested in Curtis Davies but West Brom wouldn't hear of bids lower than 10m for him.

I've posted this article before, but it's well worth bringing up again.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1728970,00.html

The problem of English players more expensive than continental players is not new.
Manchester formed Beckham, Neville and co, Liverpool formed Owen, Gerard, Fowler and co.

When you buy young players like Reyes, Van Persil, Cesc, Senderos, etc. you have no ambition to form young English players.

'I would love to buy from the north of England, where they produce a lot of players'

There is no good young players in London ? Good players are only located in the north ? :huh:

A lot of the Arsenal reserve/youth teams are English. If they make the grade, good for them. If not, too bad. If I had a choice between playing Cesc Fabregas or David Bentley in my midfield guess who I'd pick?

Barcelona won the Champions League with Valdes, Puyol, Oleger, Xavi and Iniesta. You can win a major competition with local players.

Good luck to McLaren to form a decent team for 2008 and 2010.

Wenger has always given english players a go but they have always failed to make the grade.

half of Villa's team is made of English/British players and we're a comfortable 15/16 places higher in the league than the gooners so make of that what you will :wink:

1stepcloser said:
half of Villa's team is made of English/British players and we're a comfortable 15/16 places higher in the league than the gooners so make of that what you will :wink:

lol

RULES ARE BENT FOR COLE

By Ed Sunday 3rd September 2006

He and Gallas moved after the deadline.

The Telegraph:

What started with a breach of football's tapping-up rules ended with another bending of the regulations as Premier League officials agreed to push back the transfer deadline by 10 minutes on Thursday night to ensure Ashley Cole's transfer to Stamford Bridge went through.
With Cole and Chelsea fined a total of £375,000 for their infamous chat over tea and biscuits at London's Royal Park Hotel in January of last year, it was perhaps a fitting way for this sorry saga to close.
Although Chelsea agreed the terms of a deal which would see them pay Arsenal £5 million, plus William Gallas, for Cole early on Thursday afternoon, the official transfer documents and players' registrations were not lodged with the Premier League until after the official deadline had passed.
League secretary Mike Foster and lawyer Jane Purdon agreed the extension as Chelsea and Arsenal assured them that negotiations were finished and it was simply a question of faxing the appropriate paperwork.
The delay had a knock-on effect on Robert Huth's £6 million move to Middlesbrough and Arsenal's surprise signing of 18-year-old Brazilian midfielder Denilson from Sao Paulo, both of which went through after the deadline.
A Premier League spokesman said officials had received assurances from Arsenal and Chelsea that negotiations on all the moves were complete before they took the extremely rare step of granting special dispensation. To illustrate the bureaucratic log-jam faced by officials, it is understood the documentation for one of the players stretched to 20 pages.
The Premier League stressed that yesterday's exemption for Chelsea and Arsenal was not a licence for clubs to start pushing negotiations beyond the deadline in future transfer windows. They added: "While not all documentation was received prior to the midnight deadline, the FA Premier League are satisfied that the deals were completed in time and that the delay in the paperwork being received was due to circumstances outside the control of the clubs." But even after the deals were signed off, there was a further hold-up until 1.30am as lawyers for Arsenal and Chelsea pored over the fine print of an official statement.
Given the acrimonious backdrop for what must be the bitterest transfer in recent times, neither side wanted to appear to have backed down in the negotiations.
In the end, though, it was Chelsea who appeared to have outmanoeuvred their rivals, paying just £5 million for a player they valued at £20 million just four weeks ago, and at the same time offloading an estranged 29-year-old with only one year left on his contract, whom they valued at £7 million.
Once an agreement had been reached, negotiations with the players had to be conducted. That was made more complicated by the fact that both Cole and Gallas were on international duty.
It is understood Cole and Chelsea agreed terms in the afternoon, but the paperwork could not be completed until after his medical in Rochdale. That did not begin until 7pm, meaning Chelsea, Cole and his agent, Jonathan Barnett, could not receive and sign the relevant paperwork until 10pm at the earliest.

Amazing how some rules can be broken, & others not, yet again cynical, moi?

i hate chelsea. It's just contant lies, corruption and rule breaking at that club. And from what i've heard apparently most of the people who go and watch chelsea now are part of the old 'prawn sandwich brigade' and are the only ones able to afford tickets to see them play. Seems like a rich boys club now, on the pitch and in the stands too.

where's the passion?

yertle-the-turtle said:

Coca-Cola Championship, mate, that's where the action's at! :wink:

Tell me about it. My old man supports Cardiff City. He doesn't shut up about it. There's a long way to go yet though...

If cardiff would of kept robert earnshaw u would of got into the prem

shocked to find out wot gallas threanted chelsea with , very unprofessional but chelsea are scum so its fine.

It's a bit hard to believe, definitely.

Apparently Mascherano was told not to move to Man USA by none other than Juan Sebastian Veron.

I think it might be the funniest thing in the world if these two turn out to be the Prem's biggest flops since, well, Kezman and Veron.

Well for funniest read anti-climatic but you know what I mean.

I'd love it if we gave west ham a good seeing to on sunday.

England were pretty poor tonight it has to be said but job done.

Northern Ireland 3 - 2 Spain :ohmy:

And the Italians are in a spot of bother.... one point from two... with another game to come against France, and two against what looks like an improved Scotland team... What if the world champs aren't at the Euro, two years after the Euro champs were not at the world cup.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom