The Official Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for 1stepcloser, is confidence high among the Villa Park faithful since O'niell came in, I rate him very highly, & wouldn't be surprised to see Villa win some silverware this season, & a top 6 finish, do you think thats possible?

jimmmm said:
Question for 1stepcloser, is confidence high among the Villa Park faithful since O'niell came in, I rate him very highly, & wouldn't be surprised to see Villa win some silverware this season, & a top 6 finish, do you think thats possible?

impossible , well that a bit harsh. However when the novelty of the new manager status runs off and the 2 fixtures a week kicks in during the winter months thats when they will struggle.

They dont have a big enough squad for the prem + other comps

jimmmm said:

Well a good example of what O' Neill can do has already been shown. Arsenal took 85 minutes to score past us the other week. MO'N got the setup perfectly for that match. Obviously we haven't got enough quality to be trying to attack all match so we nicked a goal and sat back and nearly worked.

But a perfect example of the difference he has made was against Reading, i was there for that match and we were all over them. Had 3 goals dissallowed. Yet they scored first. Under O Leary that would have been a match we would definitely have lost. The confidence would have been sapped from us conceding that early but MON was on the touchline all match barking orders and telling us to press. He's changed the formation to 4-3-3 and with Moore and Agbonlahor we've got some real pace. They could give newcastle's defence some real problems on sunday. Also for Barry's goal againsts reading, MON brought off J'lloyd Samuel (who was awful) and brought on Peter Whittingham. Whittinghams first contrubution to the match was to put in a great cross for Barry to score from. Mr O'Neill has the midas touch i tell you!

i can't see us winning any trophies because our squad is simply too small but a European spot isn't out of the question if MON buys well in january with Mr Lerners money. If blackburn can finish in the top 6 then so can we!

There is lots of optimism but i won't get ahead of myself, it's early doors yet. Portsmouth could yet be the surprise package...

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:

He's not just any old 'new manager' though is he :wink:

No he certainly isn't, & thats the point I was trying to make, every now & again certain managers come along, & with seemingly "lesser" players manage to squeeze every ounce possible out of them, Fergie certainly did it with Aberdeen, Cloughie at Derby, & Forest, Shankly at Liverpool, Kendall at Everton, I know football has changed a lot since those days, but I believe O'Neill is the sort of manager who has that ability, Leicester, & to a lesser extent Celtic being perfect examples, I know people can turn round & say Celtic only have to beat Rangers & vice-versa, & either side will win the SPL, but he managed to get them to a Euro Final in his time there as well, & if Lerner has funds I genuinely believe silverware will be heading to Villa Park in the very near future.

shortfuse said:
I didnt want to start a separate thread but Barcelona v Chelsea once again in the UCL :drool:
Also Inter and Bayern in the same group...should be two great ties.

The Man United-Celtic ties look quite tasty also.

jimmmm said:

No he certainly isn't, & thats the point I was trying to make, every now & again certain managers come along, & with seemingly "lesser" players manage to squeeze every ounce possible out of them, Fergie certainly did it with Aberdeen, Cloughie at Derby, & Forest, Shankly at Liverpool, Kendall at Everton, I know football has changed a lot since those days, but I believe O'Neill is the sort of manager who has that ability, Leicester, & to a lesser extent Celtic being perfect examples, I know people can turn round & say Celtic only have to beat Rangers & vice-versa, & either side will win the SPL, but he managed to get them to a Euro Final in his time there as well, & if Lerner has funds I genuinely believe silverware will be heading to Villa Park in the very near future.

Yeah there's definitely something about him. He's a motivator. We haven't had a manager with as much passion as him since John Gregory and even he wasn't that passionate lol.

I heard that he was a player under Brian Clough and some of his managment skills are borrowed from cloughie, which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks for the optismism too jimmmm :wink:

Looks like Rio broke toe.He's going on a scan tomorow.Fuck,apparently United's problems with injuries of main players continue

city beating arsenal:ohmy:
United beating watford , the title race is already getting good.

Relegation battle is gonna be GREAT

1stepcloser said:

I think united will give celtic a right seeing to.

Oh God, I sincerely hope so, my old fella's a Celtic fan, always going on about how great they are, & if they were ever allowed into Eng. league how easy it would be for them & Rangers.
I really hope United wipe the f*%+ing floor with them, home & away.

vaz02 said:
city beating arsenal:ohmy:

Indeed. Bad result considering we dominated 90% of that match and missed a dozen very good chances before City put theirs away without question. We really need to learn to stop trying to walk the ball into the net and be more clinical inside the box and maybe actually try some of those long range shots from outside the box that everybody talks about. We'll get stronger though once our defence fills in the gaps. Just need some new blood.

GGGRRR villa beat newcastle 2-0 , martins limps off with a " very bad dead leg "

Got back from villa vs newcastle about an hour ago. great match. Absolutely bossed them from start to finish. When Martins went off Newcastle had already made 3 substitutions so they had to play the rest of the match with 10 men. God knows what Roeder was thinking of making all three subs before they'd even played an hour.

I think it's good that Villa are back up where we should be in the league. Obviously im happy cos im a villa fan but i think it's good for football because it shows that you don't have top spend megabucks to play good football, over half our team on the field today were homegrown players. Moore, Agbonlahor, Barry, Whittingham, Davis and Ridgewell all came through our youth academy :up:

Hey i'm in australia so we don't get the best football news but how true are the rumours of lucus neill going to liverpool i'm really excited about it they're my favourite team and he's a awesome player and australian. Also Vince Grella going to Tottenham? I think he's a player who would do really well in the premier league

there have been rumours that neill is going to a big club all summer but i think its died down now. After the world cup he was linked with Barcelona!

1step, just been looking at Villa's fixture list, the next 3 are all winnable, if they take max. points from them, thats gonna be some start.

jimmmm said:
1step, just been looking at Villa's fixture list, the next 3 are all winnable, if they take max. points from them, thats gonna be some start.

West Ham and Watford are gonna be tricky games. west ham are a good team and watford will work us really hard over the pitch. Hopefully we'll have a couple of new signings by then though.

it's been a great start so far but we really need to make some signings. Once injuries kick in it's going to be difficult to keep up good form. Luckily we've still got Milan Baros to come back.

And they think they're going to plug the gaps at the back with a player who makes darren anderton looked overworked, the king of the sicknote himself, Mr. jonathan woodgate!

Cole having a medical now at pompy

Newcastle have had a bid rejected by boro for viduka

according to his agent the deals dead, but anything could happen before midnight tomorrow, also, Tevez looks like going to the Arse, the RED ISSUE website said a deal for Mascherano could go through tomorrow, but my guess is United won't be doing anymore business this year.

citeh have banned thatcher for 6 matches, & fined him 6 weeks wages, well done to the bitters for that, but what are the f a doing, burying their heads in the sand as usual, totally f*^+ing useless bunch of incompetent geriatric arseholes!

Saha believes Man U will miss van Nistelrooy

Manchester United striker Louis Saha believes the summer sale of former team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid has weakened his club and strengthened their rivals.

Saha is convinced the Dutchman’s departure is a bad thing for his club – even if it has given him the first-team chances he had lacked since arriving from Fulham in January 2004.

“When you lose a player capable of scoring 40 goals in one season, I don’t think that giving him to Real Madrid is a good thing, considering we will face them at one point or another,” said Saha.

“It is true that his departure will certainly allow me to play a little bit more and I take Sir Alex Ferguson’s trust as a compliment, but I have always done my best whether Ruud is there or not. Nothing has changed for me.”

Nothing like stating the obvious, is there?

The big story of the day is not Monica Legwinski signing for Ipswich (that might actually be a good signing) but Wet Spam's amazing coup in signing Mascherano and Tevez. Except it's not confirmed yet.

The whole Abramovich thing surrounding the deal (if there even is a deal) looks very, very dodgy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom