The Official Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when some United fans were beginning to think everything was rosy in the gl*&%r world, this from the Times;

DEBT AT '£656m'

By Ed Friday 22nd December 2006

The Times claim Glazer 'leaked' business plan says that debt will rise to £733m in five years and ticket prices will increase by 36%.

Manchester United will restrict Sir Alex Ferguson’s annual transfer expenditure to £25 million except for a one-off "superstar" purchase who meets the Glazer family’s desire for an icon to play alongside Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, according to documents seen by The Times.

In two 60-page presentations outlining their business plan for the refinancing of the club earlier this year, the Glazers made clear that United’s annual transfer kitty will remain £25 million, despite their belief that operating profits will increase to more than £100 million by 2011. The only exception relates to an extra £25 million set aside for a "superstar", seemingly a headline act who would raise the club’s profile off the pitch as well as on it.

Last year, The Times disclosed details of the Glazers’ original business plan, including controversial ticket-price rises. The new documents reveal the latest debt figure as £656 million, which is forecast to reach £733 million by 2012, and that the total costs of the takeover were £831 million, including bank and legal fees of £41 million. Annual interest payments have risen from £20 million to £40 million as a result of the refinancing.

The documents also reveal the Glazers’ belief that no other English club comes close to United’s commercial prowess and that "Chelsea’s lack of brand appeal and limited fan-base beyond the UK make it a less compelling commercial partner".

They say that tickets at Old Trafford, which were subject to a minimum 12.5 per cent price rise this season, remain "undervalued" and will increase by a further 36 per cent by the start of the 2012-2013 campaign.

Television contracts will continue to soar, increasing the club’s annual media revenue from £46 million to £78 million by 2012. It is also revealed that players’ salaries will soar as a result of new television deals, with the squad’s wage bill (including bonuses) increasing from £53.2 million last season to £78.1 million by 2012. Increased sponsorship prospects will see the club’s annual commercial revenue rise from £56 million to £78 million by 2012 while the documents also recommend that the team should travel "to all corners of the globe" on pre-season and end-of-season tours to exploit the club’s brand.

The only thing that seems definite in there is the size of the debt, how it will be paid, & possible increases in revenue are all down to ifs & buts, how they can say no other English club comes close to Uniteds commercial prowess, to me shows an enormous lack of knowledge of the game in general, are Liverpool not a world famous club with huge commercial potential, Arsenal, & when not if Chelsea win the Champions League, there commercial stock will shoot through the roof, I've said it before, & no doubt will say it again, dark times are just around the corner at OT.

Just to cheer myself up, I've just completed the BBC season predictor, & filled all the remaining matches in for the season, totally unbiased of course, & here's how the season WILL finish,
P Pts.
1. Man United 38 94
2. Chelsea 38 92
3. Spurs 38 75
4. Liverpool 38 73
5. Arse 38 71
6. Villa 38 59
7. Bolton 38 55
8. Pompey 38 52
9. Everton 38 50
10 Reading 38 49
11 West Ham 38 48
12 Blackburn 38 45
13 Sheff Utd 38 41
14 Fulham 38 39
15 Newcastle 38 38
16 Wigan 38 38
17 Man City 38 35 -22
18 Midd'boro 38 35 -26
19 watford 38 31
20 Charlton 38 26

Going on my history of unsuccessful tipping, I'd say Boro, Watford & Charlton fans can confidently go out & buy their season tickets for '07/'08 in the Premiership, Chelsea will be champions again, & the usual suspects will qualify for the Champions League! but then again, you never know.

Yep i'm all wrapped up too, my seats are at the top of the Holte End so it's gonna be freezing! Should be a great atmosphere, it always is for the United games.

I'd love us to win, even though it would put chelsea in pole positon, you gotta look after number one. Can't see it happening though. Especially if Gavin Mccann is injured, he's so important, uniteds midfield will boss us if he doesn't play.

I assume class will tell and united will also be smarting after the west ham result last week.

I knew I should have stuck five quid on eight goals at the Emirates.

OK, I didn't know that at all, but if I did I'd bet my house on it, and then I'd be filthy rich by now. RICH, I tell you.

Look out, by the way, if you can for Sheffield Wednesday's last minute equaliser against Southampton. 3-3, 90th minute, who comes up and scores but MARK CROSSLEY. Unbelievable.

So i'm back from uni for the festive period and forked out £70-80 on going to three Villa games and so far this is what i've got back fom it - 0 goals and 0 points. And the next and final game i'm going to? Chelsea. Great.

Although today i can accept we got beaten by the better team, unlike last week, although the scoreline was a bit generous as we had as much of the play as they did. But there's nothing you can do about goals of Scholes' quality. Haven't seen it on TV yet but it looked amazing. Even some of the villa fans in the mostly quite partizan holte end were clapping it.

Another thing i noticed was how much hatred there still is for manchester united in this league, even though chelsea are now probably just as hated. The amount of abuse ronaldo, neville and giggs got was unbelievable. Although the amount of vitriol aimed at ronaldo was far, far greater than that of anyone else.

Heaven knows we need the january transfer window to hurry up :(

1stepcloser said:
But there's nothing you can do about goals of Scholes' quality. Haven't seen it on TV yet but it looked amazing. Even some of the villa fans in the mostly quite partizan holte end were clapping it.( [/B]

Not gonna gloat 1Step, but you're right Scholesy goal was fantastic.

For Christmas, hope Villa get 6 points from their next 2 league games,:wink:

Standings Member List
Rank Team Points
1 notonepennyglazer 1,302.00
2 25-a-side 1,298.00
3 Sparta Chorley 935.00
4 YourSkipperTerry 877.00

Thought I might have put some distance between us yesterday, RockinEdge, seems like you're gonna push me to the wire, I did gain on the leaders in the Fans Of Man.Utd League, & the overall lleague, in the Fans Of.., I jumped up 1,103 places to 8,350, & in the overall soared up 3,907 places to 27,301, that place in the top 10,000 could yet be achieved!

jimmmm said:

For Christmas, hope Villa get 6 points from their next 2 league games,:wink:

Why thank you. Birmingham City are the only team i hate more than Chelsea so i'd love us to beat them but that is highly unlikely on yesterdays showing. Although in all fairness we actually have quite a good record against them at villa park. Can't remember the last time they beat us there (probably last season knowing my memory lol).

jimmmm said:
I did gain on the leaders in the Fans Of Man.Utd League, & the overall lleague, in the Fans Of.., I jumped up 1,103 places to 8,350, & in the overall soared up 3,907 places to 27,301, that place in the top 10,000 could yet be achieved!

Make that 25,844th in the overall, & 7,862nd, in the fans of Man Utd league, I also opened up a bit more of a lead in the interferencers league.

Standings Member List
Rank Team Points
1 notonepennyglazer 1,373.50
2 25-a-side 1,347.50
3 Sparta Chorley 961.50
4 YourSkipperTerry 922.00

2 more matches in a short space of time from today, top 10,000 is calling my name!

If my boys aren't careful, they might just end up qualifying for the Champions League this season!

Anelka and Diouf are on fire at the moment.

cashley can't do it himself back there, you know. :wink:

that void that terry has left is obviously quite glaring at the moment.

on a totally different note, i got my wish and received an away english shirt for christmas.

it has no name or number... who do you think i should put on there yet in time for euro 2008?

i know they're only in third in the current table but still... they'll qualify already. :angry:

so what do you think...? not rooney... that's too obvious. lampard shouldn't even be on the team the way he's played for country since at least the world cup.

give me your opinions

jimmmm said:
Just to cheer myself up, I've just completed the BBC season predictor, & filled all the remaining matches in for the season, totally unbiased of course, & here's how the season WILL finish,
P Pts.
1. Man United 38 94
2. Chelsea 38 92
3. Spurs 38 75
4. Liverpool 38 73
5. Arse 38 71
6. Villa 38 59
7. Bolton 38 55
8. Pompey 38 52
9. Everton 38 50
10 Reading 38 49
11 West Ham 38 48
12 Blackburn 38 45
13 Sheff Utd 38 41
14 Fulham 38 39
15 Newcastle 38 38
16 Wigan 38 38
17 Man City 38 35 -22
18 Midd'boro 38 35 -26
19 watford 38 31
20 Charlton 38 26

Going on my history of unsuccessful tipping, I'd say Boro, Watford & Charlton fans can confidently go out & buy their season tickets for '07/'08 in the Premiership, Chelsea will be champions again, & the usual suspects will qualify for the Champions League! but then again, you never know.

spurs won't qualify for CL. it's in their blood to finish just out of reach...

and wow... i agree about newcastle but have they ever been decimated with injuries this year or what.

look out for them next year though... should be a different story.

Zoomerang96 said:
it has no name or number... who do you think i should put on there yet in time for euro 2008?

Walcott.

On another note do you follow the national Canada team, Zoomerang? We have two Canadians in the side I support, Ipswich Town. Jason de Vos, who's recently retired from international football, is our captain, and we've got a guy called Jaime Peters who's been in and out of the side but looks very promising. He's got quite a few caps at U20 and senior level for Canada I think.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!
DISASTER, WTF is going on!

Standings Member List
Rank Team Points
1 25-a-side 1,441.00
2 notonepennyglazer 1,437.50
3 Sparta Chorley 1,007.50
4 YourSkipperTerry 957.00

Zoomerang96 said:

Lennon, that way, when England fail to qualify you can tell people its a tribute to John.

Zoomerang96 said:

on a totally different note, i got my wish and received an away english shirt for christmas.

Barry :wink:

Inter are interested as Figo is leaving at the end of the season and need a replacement. Tottenham and Newcastle probably are as usual. Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal are as well.

jimmmm said:
According to the News Of The World, 15 clubs are chasing Beckham, any ideas, anyone?

liverpool apparently... http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1808189,00.html

yikes

i can't see that happening though.

all i can say is that becks better not go to the us. i don't know what his perverse desire is all about playing for such an inferior league. no offense americans, it's not about you, it's about the mls being garbage.

thanks for the recommendations, people! but i'll say there is NO way i'm putting lennon on. people have said he was the next beckham (at least in terms of replacing him on the national team) for what... 2 or 3 years now? he's got great pace, sure, but i just don't think he's all that special.

theo on the other hand would be a different story... by '08 he should be playing up front with henry full time and should be a fixture on england.

wenger sure is breaking him in slowly, isn't it? i haven't seen a lot of arsenal lately, but has he been playing more now that henry's been on the shelf?

yertle, i'm actually completely ignorant when it comes to the canadian national team. the women's team i hear is quite good, but our media focuses on the english more than the canadian team.

do you think us canadians have something to look forward to down the road?

oh, and furthermore on beckham, my money is on his sticking with real at least till the end of the season. no way does he transfer in january...

besides he's been a starter again lately, and has been playing the full 90 minutes playing relatively decently too save for the last match where the entire squad played horrible in the 0-3 defeat.

as the article that i posted states, real have offered what is believed to be a 2 year deal, and if he ever wants to play for his country again, i'd recommend he signs it.

my heart breaks at the thought of him playing in north america...

Benitez cranks up Bolton pressure

Benitez (left) is no fan of Allardyce's tactics
Rafael Benitez has claimed Bolton are shown too much leniency by referees ahead of Liverpool's latest match against Sam Allardyce's team.
Anfield boss Benitez has long been a critic of what he sees as Bolton's overly-physical style of play.
"Bolton could not play this way in Spain," he said in the build-up to their New Year's Day meeting.
"Every free-kick, corner and throw-in would be a foul, but here it's not. They know this and take advantage."

Personally speaking, I think Benitez is way out of order there.
Its about time Bolton were given the credit, & respect they've earnt over the last few seasons, I've twice seen them beat United at OT in recent seasons, each time thoroughly deserved wins, in no way did they kick United off the pitch, or rough up any of the players, & on the occasions I've seen them this season, mostly I've been impressed with their style of play, they're not a smash it up field & hope for the best outfit, they play good, honest football, & are at their opponents from start to finish, & it gets results, as the League table suggests, what say you, Ormy

hasnt beckham once said that he wouldnt want to play in any other english club than man utd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom