The OFFICIAL Pablo Honey Thread! It HAD to happen!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:23 AM
The OFFICIAL Pablo Honey Thread! It HAD to happen!!

"how do you?" is the greatest radiohead song ever. discuss.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM

Oh my God... look what I started here!!!

I've only heard Creep and Stop Whispering which are both awesome! But this will most likely be the last one I get, only cos it seems to be the least preferred.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 AM
might be the weakest debut by a great band that I can think of. shows virtually nothing of the genius that would follow.

there's only, what, like 3 great songs on here? I love Lurgee, but even the good stuff is rather generic.

How's My Driving deserves a thread more than this recording.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Their second best album and I think it's amazing. people unjustly turned their back on this album because it was the cool thing to do after Radiohead turned their back on Creep. No offense to anyone here who is a Radiohead fan but here's my opinion:

I was a big Radiohead fan durring Pablo Honey and The Bends. O.K. Computer was great but I wasn't as adoring of that album as their first two. Friends of mine who also loved them felt the same way. Now when Kid A came out I had already been listening to ambient and electronic music while my friends weren't. I found Kid A to be avaerage as far as what it seemed to be going for. Strangely though many of my friends claimed Kid A to be their favorite Radiohead album and praised it for it's "experimental" asspect. Funny. I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination

I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.
Well... there IS that attitude of going where your artistic instincts take you and not giving a fuck about album sales or popularity, that is very attractive about Radiohead. Unlike a certain other band.. *cough* That said, I absolutely love Kid A for the music! NOT for the indie appeal. Of course, initially I did have a WTF moment with the Kid A samples I heard online and only bought the cd recently. And The Bends is still my favorite album! Guess I can appreciate both sides of this band... at least so far..lol. But I can't speak for other fans here.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
Their second best album and I think it's amazing. people unjustly turned their back on this album because it was the cool thing to do after Radiohead turned their back on Creep. No offense to anyone here who is a Radiohead fan but here's my opinion:

I was a big Radiohead fan durring Pablo Honey and The Bends. O.K. Computer was great but I wasn't as adoring of that album as their first two. Friends of mine who also loved them felt the same way. Now when Kid A came out I had already been listening to ambient and electronic music while my friends weren't. I found Kid A to be avaerage as far as what it seemed to be going for. Strangely though many of my friends claimed Kid A to be their favorite Radiohead album and praised it for it's "experimental" asspect. Funny. I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.
No. I love OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT because it's just great music. It takes me to another world. It is brilliant.

Hey Zoot...serious question...Kid A...is it better than Achtung?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Refugee

No doubt I appreaciate a band making music they want rather than what the fans want. When you stop doing music for yourself and start doing it for others it becomes stale and soulless. I'll always buy a new Radiohead album the day it's released. They're too talented to not give them a chance every time. And namkcuR if you don't mind I'll answer that question.

Q: Is Kid A better than Achtung Baby?
A: HELL NO!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Hey Zoot...serious question...Kid A...is it better than Achtung?

Please ask me this in a couple of weeks or a month.. not now. The thing is I'm high on Kid A right now and a bit bored of Achtung. But no way is anything going to overtake Achtung Baby in my mind!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
The Male

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Kid A is barely (maybe not even) better than the Bends. No way is it better than Achtung.

Now.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
No way is it better than Achtung.
Don't sweat it. namkcuR wasn't serious. He asked just to torture me.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

glad to see yesterday i woke up sucking a lemon has returned.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
glad to see yesterday i woke up sucking a lemon has returned.
i wasn't here the first time around, so i'm definitely appreciating.

thinking about you & lurgee
Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
The thing is I'm [...] a bit bored of Achtung.

Next thing you know, I'll be claiming that Lovetown's sets were weak.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Next thing you know, I'll be claiming that Lovetown's sets were weak.
You're right... they ARE weak... compared to the ZOO.

In Aardvark747's words...

Achtung Baby still rocks my ass!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I'M NOT A VEGETABLE.