The OFFICIAL Pablo Honey Thread! It HAD to happen!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

You're right... they ARE weak... compared to the ZOO.
Yeah, variety sucks, doesn't it?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 PM
it a better album than KidA in my opinion - obviously, I have a deep-seated hatred of KidA, but live versions of You and Blow Out are both very good, far better than the album versions. Despite that, I understand how people can see it as a one-song album.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:14 PM
anyone can play guitar.
ripcord.
stop whispering.

3 of my favorite radiohead songs right there. i don't like experimental shit. which makes no sense since i like kid a almost as much as pablo honey. but whatever.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
Their second best album and I think it's amazing. people unjustly turned their back on this album because it was the cool thing to do after Radiohead turned their back on Creep. No offense to anyone here who is a Radiohead fan but here's my opinion:

I was a big Radiohead fan durring Pablo Honey and The Bends. O.K. Computer was great but I wasn't as adoring of that album as their first two. Friends of mine who also loved them felt the same way. Now when Kid A came out I had already been listening to ambient and electronic music while my friends weren't. I found Kid A to be avaerage as far as what it seemed to be going for. Strangely though many of my friends claimed Kid A to be their favorite Radiohead album and praised it for it's "experimental" asspect. Funny. I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.
Why make up a big conspiracy of why people like Kid A just because you don't? Just say you don't like it and be done with it.

Pablo Honey is a good album, just not comparable to The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and parts of Amnesiac.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:14 AM
I still haven't bought Pablo Honey but have heard 'You', 'Anyone Can Play Guitar', 'Thinking About You' and 'Stop Whispering' and think they are fantastic! I was really worried I'd fall into a trap of thinking 'Oh it's shit' just because it wasn't like their later albums. I can't wait to get a copy, it'll be a great change from their more recent material!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:59 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

How's My Driving deserves a thread more than this recording.
LOLZ

what about the my iron lung ep? or corn lag? actually, all of those are better than pablo honey. okay, maybe not corn lag.

it does amuse me that there is a thread for every radiohead album except the one widely (rightly) considered to be their best . . .
Old 10-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Why make up a big conspiracy of why people like Kid A just because you don't? Just say you don't like it and be done with it.

Pablo Honey is a good album, just not comparable to The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and parts of Amnesiac.
I don't make this shit up, I see it. I see it when a person tells me Kid A is Radioheads best album and they have no reasoning for it other than it was a band trying to do somthing experimental. Bullshit. I've had this conversation in person with people before and it baffles me as to how the can claim Kid A as their favorite and then say shit like "well I don't know the names of the songs but....." Blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying everyone is like that but I can gaurentee there are people out there who . And no I won't just say I don't like it and be done with it. That's boring. I'll say what I think and you can choose to read it and respond or not.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:

I don't make this shit up, I see it. I see it when a person tells me Kid A is Radioheads best album and they have no reasoning for it other than it was a band trying to do somthing experimental. Bullshit. I've had this conversation in person with people before and it baffles me as to how the can claim Kid A as their favorite and then say shit like "well I don't know the names of the songs but....." Blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying everyone is like that but I can gaurentee there are people out there who . And no I won't just say I don't like it and be done with it. That's boring. I'll say what I think and you can choose to read it and respond or not.
You know I agree with much of what you say here, and it baffles me that someone could have Kid A as their favorite, because it's so alienating and impersonal.

But then I remember how you said you prefer Pablo Honey to OK Computer and every other RH album except The Bends and know you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #24
Refugee

Quote:

You know I agree with much of what you say here, and it baffles me that someone could have Kid A as their favorite, because it's so alienating and impersonal.

But then I remember how you said you prefer Pablo Honey to OK Computer and every other RH album except The Bends and know you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.
Yeah I know. As a Radiohead fan from the begining I'm completely clueless. I'm a total idiot based on my album prefrence.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:

I am sure there are some people out there like that, but I also believe that a lot of people love it simply because they think it is great. Your comment just seemed like an overgeneralization. Because I love it and certainly don't care about what is the popular view. But I also believe Ok Computer and The Bends are better so I guess that wasn't directed at me anyway.

Bollow - in what universe is Pablo Honey widely considered their best? You are maybe the second person that I have ever heard say that. Ok Computer is considered their best overall, followed by The Bends and Kid A, look at almost any poll taken in the last 5 years. But I do think Pablo Honey is underrated.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

I am sure there are some people out there like that, but I also believe that a lot of people love it simply because they think it is great. Your comment just seemed like an overgeneralization. Because I love it and certainly don't care about what is the popular view. But I also believe Ok Computer and The Bends are better so I guess that wasn't directed at me anyway.
Nothing was directed at anyone in paticular. I just posted my opinion based on my experience with people in the real world. Not this fake internet world.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:

I can't help but agree, to be fair. I always imagine a situation where the band are sat round a table and said something along the lines of: "let's just make a record of random synthesised sound clips and see if people will like it because it's us". At least U2 had the decency to change the band's name when they tried that trick.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Speaking as a child of the 90's, I find it interesting how Pablo Honey and Radiohead were emerging just as Nirvana was on its way out. In my mind, Thom Yorke was clearly influenced by Kurt Cobain on most of the songs on PH. There's a similar rawness of the band's sound, and Thom's voice at times shares a real Cobain resonance, especially on songs like Prove Yourself and Creep.

It amazes me that just one album later, they would completely have their own sound...the speed of their evolution is impressive and gutsy. That's what I like about Pablo Honey--the fact that you can clearly see Radiohead's influences, and chart how they quickly leave them in their dust as they shoot for the moon.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:

Yeah I know. As a Radiohead fan from the begining I'm completely clueless. I'm a total idiot based on my album prefrence.
If someone was a U2 fan from the beginning, preferring Boy to Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree, I'd be disregarding their opinion on that basis as well.

But hey, if you want to live in the past, that's your privilege.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:

If someone was a U2 fan from the beginning, preferring Boy to Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree, I'd be disregarding their opinion on that basis as well.

But hey, if you want to live in the past, that's your privilege.
That's nice to know that you will disregard anyone's opinion if it doesn't reflect your own personal opinion. Very cool. Jackass.