The Official NFL Thread, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the flex schedule issue...just in market size alone it makes more sense to have a Pats/Bears game rather than a Colts/Eagles game. Coupled with the fact that the Bears are the best in the NFC and the Pats are one of the top AFC teams. The Colts are currently the top AFC team, but the Eagles (when the game was selected) were a middle of the pack NFC team.

So only 2 things make sense...the Pats/Bears game was protected by Fox or NBC went for the 2 guys who do more advertising than anyone else in the league, "Cut that meat" Manning vs "Chunky Soup" McNabb, and if thats the case they got burned when Chunky sirloin burger with country vegetables got dumped into the diposal.

T.O. has stated that he will not send any well wishes to Donovan, when asked if he would return the favor for Donovan checking up on him during the whole pill fiasco.

Jeff Garcia will start over AJ Feeley for the Eagles in Indy.

Chizip's right. IMO, Most overrated QB of all-time = Brett Favre.

brett favre certainly sucks now... but over-rated qb of all time? please.

first, the guy is a warrior... he's never injured. ever. how many straight games has he played in now? do you realize how hard that is to do, esp. in football? aaron rodgers played 10 minutes and he broke his foot.

second, he's a super bowl champion on a team where he was clearly, far and away, the best offensive player.

favre was the last of a dying breed... the classic gunslinger, hard as nails QB.

you want over-rated? try picking a QB who breaks every record in the book but shrivels like a little pussy come playoff time...

When all is said and done favre's stats will likely be 2nd to only Marino in many major categories (and then probably passed in a few years by the above mentioned puddy-tat).
Coupled with a SuperBowl ring, the man is a no brainer hall of famer, and at this point in time one of the top 10QB's of all time. As Headache mentioned, his string of starts is almost superhuman, and the guy has something intangible, witness the Monday night game against Oakland a few years ago after his father passed away.
Sure he has a propenstity for the INT, but that alone can't possibly overshadow his accomplishments.

Plus he's probably the #2 all time great QB actor, right behind Terry Bradshaw and a notch ahead of Dan Marino. :wink:

I think he was a very good QB in his day, but I've never seen the media treat a player like the divine QB like him. Maybe not the most over-rated, but he's up there.

One of the main reasons he played in so many games is because he won't take a hit. He throws many of his picks by chucking a deep one with the D breathing down his neck. He also throws so many passes that just leave the receiver right into a hard-hitting, full-speed defender. These hospital passes have resulted in injury (Bubba Franks last year, I believe, is an example).

The media defends him to the death despite some serious issues. I think he's a likable guy, and is very good. I'm just sick of the media.

"If you take away Brett Favre's interceptions this year, he's having a pretty good year." - John Madden

I know it's Madden, but still.

phillyfan26 said:

One of the main reasons he played in so many games is because he won't take a hit.

Unless it's for a record breaking sack ;)

how come michael irvin hasn't been fired yet?

You may have missed when noted sociologist and anthropological expert Michael Irvin stated that Tony Romo must have African lineage in his genome, which explains why the Dallas Cowboys quarterback is such a good athlete.

Said Irvin on a national radio show this week: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know ... some brother down in that line somewhere ... I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."

Oh, boy.

Romo in the 'hood.

Where do I begin with this one?

This is Irvin's logic. I enjoy making Italian food. I'm actually pretty good at it. Therefore, my distant relatives must be Italian.

That's pretty dumb, right?

Asinine, huh?

Just stupid.

But he said it and I do not believe Irvin was kidding. The host of the show apparently did not think Irvin was joking, either. He responded to Irvin, "Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?"

"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin replied. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn (and said), 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."

This comment barely registered a blip on the moral outrage meter. That needle should have been bouncing around like it was the great San Francisco earthquake.

As someone who has written about the thorny issue of race, blasting white offenders for perpetrating racial stereotypes and ugliness, I cannot be a hypocrite.

Irvin's words were without question racist. They were racist as hell. There is no other way to say it.

I don't call for firings much. Not my style. But if racial bomb throwers like Rush Limbaugh are penalized for their insensitive remarks, shouldn't Irvin be?

When you state that, for the most part, the lone way a white athlete can be a good athlete is to be part black, well, that is racist. Horribly racist and reinforces stereotypes that blacks are inherently big-thighed, bulging-biceped drones, incapable of being much else.

There is no difference between Irvin's words and those of Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, who got canned. Not so different from the ignorance displayed by Limbaugh, who resigned.

Why aren't more blacks outraged? What Irvin said was just as offensive.

What's good for the goose should be good for The Playmaker.

In October of last year, Air Force coach Fisher DeBerry blamed a blowout loss to Texas Christian University on the fact that TCU had more black players than his team did.

"It's very obvious to me the other day that the other team had a lot more Afro-American players than we did," DeBerry said, "and they ran a lot faster than we did. It just seems to be that way that Afro-American kids can run very, very well."

DeBerry was blasted for what he said and apologized. Irvin has left the room unscathed.

If blacks are to fight the plague that is racial ugliness -- and racism remains one of the great threats to the Republic, no question about it, just ask that Seinfeld loser or Mel Gibson -- then we have to be honest with ourselves. We cannot blast whites for committing acts of racial stereotyping then remain silent when one of us does the exact same thing.

Where is that article from, anyway?

Man, I love having HD. I don't get NFL Network, but the INHD channel shows games from different networks in HD at times, and tonight's Broncos-Chiefs game just happens to be on there.

:drool:

I literally just got NFL Network last week. I upgraded to Comcast Digital, I didn't even know I was getting it with the deal.

Comcast, which is I think #1 cable operator, doesn't give it in normal cable.

WildHoneyAlways said:

I'd like to know too.

i mean just imagine if a white guy said this:

"Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?" (is if he has black ancestory)

"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin replied. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn (and said), 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."

he'd wouldn't have made it out of the interview without being fired

to elaborate a bit he was in one of the sports stores looking for an unsigned picture of himself. he stumbled upon a picture signed by he, troy aikman and emmit smith and got on his cell phone and called emmit and said, "yo emmit they got one of these commerative things me you and troy signed."

i however dont work at that store but one of my friends does and he told me that as soon as it happened. i saw him walk by where i work, though.

Michael Irvin is a nutcase.

Good game between the Bears and Pats. A couple of early turnovers on both sides, a blocked FG, a partially blocked punt, a long FG, lots of balls touching the ground...

Plenty to watch, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom