The Official NFL Thread, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
And phanan, 1 NFC title, 3 runner-ups.

Yes, I meant 4 NFC title games.

I agree some of Reid's moves have backfired, but I don't think you are going to find anyone better out there.

And it takes good players, too. Westbrook is talented, but the running game there sucks. And the defense has way too many holes. There is only so much that coaching can do when you don't have the players to do it with.

Screwtape2 said:

Phillyfan, you just described half the teams in the NFL. The window has closed for the Eagles because of McNabb not Andy Reid. Donovon McNabb is the one who wears downs in the big game. Philly went to four NFC championships because of defense and firm coaching not McNabb.

Wholeheartedly diagree with you. McNabb is an outstanding quarterback and without him this team is not half of what it can be. PERIOD. Anyone who diagrees with this i have no clue what their basis is.....

phillyfan26 said:

That's the opinion of a lot of people who take a couple of jokes and believe them. McNabb has worn down three times in his entire career, all for a specific reason:

2003 game at JAX
2005 Super Bowl game at JAX
2006 game at TB

See the pattern? Each game was in Florida. Something about Florida bugs him.

So, the wearing down part of your theory is out the window.

The main problem with the Eagles this season has been BEING UNPREPARED , STUPID PENALTIES , and SLOW STARTS . How are those things the fault of McNabb specifically? It's the coaches first, secondly the players as a whole.

I can't stand how people who fall for some badly spread theories on the Eagles. McNabb is actually one of the games' best quarterbacks. He has been slowed by injuries, true. The defense was good for years. True. But he's also a great QB. McNabb and Brady are two of a very small list of successful QBs with WRs who absolutely sucked. Brady has been a little more successful. True. But he's the best in the game. Manning is also up there, though with great targets. McNabb is in that top core.

Besides, your theory itself doesn't make sense in the first place. If he always was a bad QB who wears down in big games, the decline CANNOT be attributed to him anyway, it would be attributed to what WAS successful, which you say is the defense. Even though it's not true, it is notable that it contradicts your whole point.

Overall, McNabb is a very good quarterback. He has declined a little bit due to injuries over the years. But he was just recently an MVP canidate! The McNabb hating has never made sense to me. He's such a great QB, a good person, yet people are quick to jump on him like they are a T.O. or an A-Rod, someone with dislikable qualities. It's misplaced entirely.

1. I didn't say McNabb was a bad quarterback just that his struggles when it counts have been the reason that the Eagles window has closed. When a team's window closes the result is a bad a team. Thus McNabb is the reason that the Eagles are where they are now.
2. I DO think that McNabb is a good quarterback. But by no means is he a great quarterback.
3. I didn't say choke, I said "wears down." It might be a problem of stamia or whatever but he always seems to breakdown physically in big situations.

I named the only three teams wear he "wore down" and was dry-heaving or vomiting. All in Florida.

And I said how your theory on the window closing contradicts yourself. McNabb can't have been bad on a great team and suddenly be the reason they are losing! It would have to be a collapse of something else, in theory.

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

Fly, Eagles fly, on the road to victory!

Fight, Eagles, fight, score a touchdown one-two-three!

Hit 'em low, hit 'em high,

And watch our Eagles fly!

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

I suppose having a done for the season Donovan McNabb is a better alternative to a healthy lesser Manning brother, boy did Tractor Boy 2 look pathetic last night.

O.K. -

time to review the "Flex Schedule"

This week, we have a broken down Eagles team playing the "no longer undefeated" Colts in Indianapolis. With those two factors mentioned, I think Pats vs. Bears would have been a better pick, no?

I guess you could not predict McNabb's injury...or could you? :wink:

the giants suck.

they've got more starters hurt than the iraqi police force.

eli's a headcase.

bah... but hey, having eli is already better than phillip rivers and the guy the chargers picked with the giants #1 pick, shawne merriman, right? right?

ugh... fire coughlin and get this guy a quarterback coach before he completely loses his mind and goes leaf on us.

zoney! said:
O.K. -

This week, we have a broken down Eagles team playing the "no longer undefeated" Colts in Indianapolis. With those two factors mentioned, I think Pats vs. Bears would have been a better pick, no?

the networks have the right to protect one game per week from being taken on the flex... don't know if pats/bears was the protected game of if nbc just figured they couldn't go wrong with peyton... which obvioiusly has blown up in their face thanks to mcnabb's injury.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ugh... fire coughlin and get this guy a quarterback coach before he completely loses his mind and goes leaf on us.
I can't picture Eli going Ryan Leaf...he'll just sit on his tractor and whimper uncontrollably until they take him away to a rubber room.

the networks have the right to protect one game per week from being taken on the flex... don't know if pats/bears was the protected game of if nbc just figured they couldn't go wrong with peyton... which obvioiusly has blown up in their face thanks to mcnabb's injury.

The Pats/Bears game is on Fox this week, and as I recall, they did indeed protect it. The Pats only play on Fox twice all year, and it's obviously a big market here, so they take the games when they can.

Hewson said:

Fight, Eagles, fight, score a touchdown one-two-three!

Hit 'em low, hit 'em high,

And watch our Eagles fly!

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

SO THAT IS HOW THE SONG GOES!!! When I heard it everyone around me was too drunk to understand.:wink:

It is still lame.

zoney! said:
O.K. -

I think it is wierd that they picked the games to be changed before the Sunday games were even played. Isn;t the whole point of the flex schedule to make the best game to be watched on Sunday night? How would they know which won would be more than a week ahead. After all its "any given sunday."

phanan said:

The Pats/Bears game is on Fox this week, and as I recall, they did indeed protect it. The Pats only play on Fox twice all year, and it's obviously a big market here, so they take the games when they can.

Sorry for the million posts is a row but I have a question...The Pats/Bears game got changed last Friday from 1 to 4 so how could it have been protected?

ljclary said:

Sorry for the million posts is a row but I have a question...The Pats/Bears game got changed last Friday from 1 to 4 so how could it have been protected?
Its protected by the network that normally covers NFC games (and interconference games where the NFC team is the visitor) on Sunday afternoons, Fox.
The move from 1 to 4:15 is merely a time change by the network/league to capture a larger TV audience, but the game remains on the Fox network.

zoney! said:
O.K. -

Actually, the four highest rated games (over 20 million) of the past few years all involved the Colts. So the league was probably looking at that statistic as being a better bet than great matchup. Doesn't the flex game get decided before the games the week before?

eli's a headcase.

bah... but hey, having eli is already better than phillip rivers and the guy the chargers picked with the giants #1 pick, shawne merriman, right? right?

With Jay Feely often doing his Mike Vanderjadt impression, Jeremy Shockey, Plaxico "gator arms" Burress, a terrible offensive coaching staff and a team losing faith in their coach wouldn't you be nutcase?

As for Phillip Rivers, take a deep breath everyone. The Chargers are not going anywhere near the superbowl if they have to come back from double digits every game. A lot of quartbacks look good their first years but don't end up very good.

Coughlin has lost it. This team is just too disfunctional. Fire the coaching staff and bring in a retired quarterback as QB coach to calm Eli down. As for a coach there is a certain analyst on the NFL Network that should be employed.

Screwtape2 said:

Actually, the four highest rated games (over 20 million) of the past few years all involved the Colts. So the league was probably looking at that statistic as being a better bet than great matchup. Doesn't the flex game get decided before the games the week before?

Yes, this Sunday's game was announced a few weeks back.

And remember that a few of those highly rated Colts games were against the Patriots, who draw very well also.

Seeing as how Philly was beginning to slide when the game was moved, I thought the Bears-Pats game would have been a much better choice, but no big deal.

Screwtape2 said:

As for Phillip Rivers, take a deep breath everyone. The Chargers are not going anywhere near the superbowl if they have to come back from double digits every game. A lot of quartbacks look good their first years but don't end up very good.

Have to disagree here. Rivers is the real deal. He had two years to study under Brees, so while this is his first full year playing, he's not a rookie anymore. And he's more than proved that.

And remember that the defense has been without their two stars, Merriman and Castillo, during this stretch and should revert to their dominant ways the rest of the way.

The Chargers are probably the most balanced team in the league (we'll find out Sunday if the Patriots are as well) and have to be considered a major threat, whereas Denver has issues on offense, Indy has issues on defense, and Baltimore is just, well, not as good despite their current record.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom