The Official NFL Thread, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't bitch this week, as some people predicted I would.

Pats over Colts is one of the easiest I've ever seen.

Well, if Belichick can manage to grease up the field enough, I think the Pats can pull it off.

Otherwise I think I'm going to stick with the Colts, although every sinew of my being screams that it's a very bad call to think Peyton can win another one in Foxboro.

StlElevation said:
yeah because we all know that shitty field conditions only affect one team.

Of course not, but the Patriots are used to playing on a shitty field in shitty weather. The Colts are used to playing on a good turf field in a nice, climate-controlled dome. Either way you slice it, a poor field still adds up to an advantage for the Patriots.

And what's with the Miami Dolphins seemingly beating the best team in the league every year, but they can't beat the shittiest teams? Didn't they break a Pats unbeaten streak a couple years ago, too? The irony is incredible. :hmm:

i went with the colts last year because at the time they were far and away the better team.

they are not this year. i gotta go with the pats, but i wouldn't be stunned either way.

and the league does have to look into the way they schedule games a little... if the colts went to new england last year, if they play again, the next game should be in indy. giants had the same issue... they went to seattle last year, then this year they had to go back there again. it makes no sense... but, alas, it is what it is.

i'll be far more interested in next sunday's game, anyways :wink:

giants start eli, tiki and the practice squad, still manage to squeek out an ugly one, and now with the bears loss, the winner of next week's game takes over the #1 playoff seed (bears are the #1 seed as of now... giants win next week, both teams are 7-2, giants would hold the head to head tie breaker)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and now with the bears loss, the winner of next week's game takes over the #1 playoff seed (bears are the #1 seed as of now... giants win next week, both teams are 7-2, giants would hold the head to head tie breaker)

Wishful thinking will get you nowhere. :wink:

After all he's done for them, I dont understand all the hatred New England fans have for Vinatieri.

Despite having lots of room under the salary cap, management didn't offer him a contract worth his full value. Don't blame Vinatieri for that.

Hatred? That's quite the exaageration. The guy is no longer with the Patriots - why would you cheer for someone on the other team? When Vinatieri retires someday, you can bet there will be plenty of accolades thrown his way by everyone in New England, but there's no reason to do it now.

And I blame Vinatieri as much as the Patriots for not getting something done. It takes two to tango.

He was a big part of their 3 championships, and now New England fans boo him every time he steps on the field? Seems a little classless.

Please. What do you want, people to stand up and cheer him on while he tries to score points against your current team?

It's the middle of a game. You route for your team, period. There will be plenty of time to cheer for him after his playing days are over.

No you don't have to cheer him. But going out of your way to boo a key part of your "dynasty" is petty, but whatever.

Hell Jeff Suppan will probably leave the Cardinals this offseason because another team will offer more money. If/when he does come back to pitch against the Cardinals I would cheer for him when he makes his first appearance. I certainly wouldn't boo him after every pitch.

Last edited:
If the Patriots manage to win this game now, it will cement Indianapolis (and Peyton) in the minds of the world as perennial chokers.

If the Colts win, the monkey is not only off their back, but dead and half-rotten.

Go Indy :up:

And has anyone else noticed that this is the very first Sunday- or Monday-night game that has actually been any good? Every single other late game has either been close but very, very bad (Chicago vs. Arizona) or a complete and utter blowout.

And as I type this, Indianapolis just picked off Brady for the fourth time with 1:18 left.

Crown their ass!!

anymore predictions, genius?

phillyfan26 said:
I didn't bitch this week, as some people predicted I would.

Pats over Colts is one of the easiest I've ever seen.

No bitching...but I guess you couldn't get through the week with at least ONE stupid comment! :D

Oh knock it off already Chizip. I dare you to tell me that you'd act differently if Pujols, Carpenter, Eckstein, etc. signed with the Cubs.

Last edited:
The Red Sox beat the Cardinals in the World Series, that offseason Renteria shunned the Cardinals generous offer for a bigger one in Boston. The next year Boston came to play in STL and Renteria got a standing O before his first AB.

I guarantee you if Eckstein was low balled on an offer and ended up signing with the Cubs, he'd get cheered in his first return to STL. Maybe it's a midwest vs the east cost type of thing.

If a former player on your team steps into the batter box, or a former pitcher gets to the mound initially, you can applaud him politely, but once the batter is trying to concentrate on the next pitch, or the pitcher is getting ready to unwind, it's gametime, and you do whatever to distract them, including booing.

And that's even more prominent in a football game when a former kicker is lining up for a field goal. You boo, you taunt, you do whatever you can to try to get him to miss (and despite the loss, it seemed to have some effect - he missed two field goals, something that doesn't happen too often).

I think what you are saying is more petty, quite honestly. Get over it already.

At what point do the Colts get into Brady's head? :wink:

Four interceptions including one on the game-tying drive. Reminds me of a certain AFC championship a few years back.

:hmm:

On a different note, I agree with Chizip. Booing Vinatieri was petty. He won two superbowls for you! More than being petty it is stupid. Like Chizip said, maybe I'm using a midwest mindset to look at a coastal thing. :shrug:

Chizip said:

I guarantee you if Eckstein was low balled on an offer and ended up signing with the Cubs, he'd get cheered in his first return to STL. Maybe it's a midwest vs the east cost type of thing.

I have seen players leave teams in the midwest (and I am NOT talking about the Cubs :) )and come back to boo birds.

In reality, the Pats could not pay Adam. It's just a reality of the current game. If the pat fans want to rally around booing a former player, so be it.

Screwtape2 said:
At what point do the Colts get into Brady's head? :wink:

Four interceptions including one on the game-tying drive. Reminds me of a certain AFC championship a few years back.

:hmm:

What was amazing about the interceptions was that three of them came on tipped balls. You don't see that too often.

So really, you can't put the blame on Brady for the tips, so I guess his head will be ok... :wink:

phanan said:

Congrats to Indy for a good game tonight. They showed their toughness. They are the class of the NFL...

...for the regular season, of course. :wink:

I said "crown their ass", but I didn't say it would be for anything more than the AFC South. :wink:

phanan said:

What was amazing about the interceptions was that three of them came on tipped balls. You don't see that too often.

So really, you can't put the blame on Brady for the tips, so I guess his head will be ok... :wink:

Actually, having a tipped ball intercepted is worse than making a bad throw for an interception. You can make sure you don't repeat the bad throw but tipped balls are unexpected. So if the Pats see the Colts in the playoffs, don't expect a big game out of Brady. Two losses at home while being outplayed by Manning, I'd say that might get to his head if you believe a team can get into a player's head.

I don't think Brady will be rattled by a regular season game. I certainly don't think you can expect Brady not to have a big game in the playoffs because of a couple of tipped balls. He's only what, 10-1 all-time in the playoffs.

And I've been saying it all along, but I actually want the Patriots to play the Colts in Indy again. They've done very well there, and we all know how much Brady likes playing in domes. I'm more concerned with the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom