The Official NFL Thread, Part Duex... No TO or Brady Bashing Allowed - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 07:40 PM
I know the thread title says no TO bashing, so I'm not bashing, just putting this out there:

U.S. senator: T.O. mistreated
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5119324

the heck?!

Should make for an interesting PTI this evening though

Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 PM
so lets say Peyton goes undefeated and wins the Superbowl this year. would that be enough for people to cinsider him the "better" QB than Brady, or does Peyton have to win 1 or 2 more?

Also I've always wondered, you know how coaches can talk to the QB's through a headset in their helmet to call the plays? Well that automatically gets cut off with 10 seconds left on the playclock so that coaches can't talk to the QB while he's at the line of scrimmage. But Peyton goes to the line of scrimmage right away, so can the coaches upstairs read the defenses and relay that information to Peyton while he is at the line of scrimmage calling his plays?

Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

So you're accusing Peyton and the Colts staff of cheating then?

He's obviously not as well educated as Ryan Fitzpatrick (that UT degree won't get him anywhere near as far as a Harvard degree), so he needs an advantage.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

One Super Bowl win for Peyton might be enough. No one knows how much longer the current team will remain intact.

Peyton calls most of his own plays and is generally better at managing a game than Brady -- if he sees a defense cheating back, he'll call a run. If he smells a blitz, he'll adjust the blocking assignments and call a different pass play, etc. Plus he's generally a better thrower than Brady.

The main knock I have against Peyton is that he makes panic throws when something unexpected happens. He doesn't do that as much as most QBs, but it's been a factor in a number of games, especially against New England and in the playoffs. If he can overcome this habit, he'll clearly establish himself as the top QB, I think.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
So you're accusing Peyton and the Colts staff of cheating then?

He's obviously not as well educated as Ryan Fitzpatrick (that UT degree won't get him anywhere near as far as a Harvard degree), so he needs an advantage.
I've been a TA for a fair number of Harvard football players, and let's just say that they're neither all that nor a bag of chips.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

My guess however is the average Harvard player's IQ is a tad higher than that of the average Tennessee player.
And miles ahead of Mike Martz.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Headache- see it is sickening to know you lost a game due to a bad call

and also, it is sickening to lose because of those bad kicks. I am sorry. I was for the Giants, really, especially since I hate Dallas I was very nauseated to see the Vikings lose that NFC Championship game to the Falcons at home due to the missed FG in regulation and again in OT, and having such an accurate kicker Morten Andersen. Very sad! Still the players can't blame just one guy, if a first down was made here or there it wouldn't come down to a kick. But I hope the Giants cut the guy.

Now about the Colts game: The only thing the Steelers got was what the Colts gave them, Peyton's dumb move int! They came out like wildfire on both sides of the ball, and were only slowed by their own mistakes. The penalty on Harrison vs. Ike Taylor hurt them, though Harrison was only retaliating for the last play. It's like in grade school, the kid who hits back is always the one who gets caught, not the one who started it. But it was overall a thorough domination.

After the game, I noticed when they interviewed The Edge he answered all the questions very well, but when they mentioned being undefeated he said theyh couldn't think about that, and when she mentioned it again his face froze like he was blanking it out. He was that focused. I really think they as a team have psyched themselves up, and there are some things they won't allow themselves to think about. This is helping them. They are on a mission, and are doing what they must mentally as well as physically.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

and also, it is sickening to lose because of those bad kicks. I am sorry. I was for the Giants, really, especially since I hate Dallas I was very nauseated to see the Vikings lose that NFC Championship game to the Falcons at home due to the missed FG in regulation and again in OT, and having such an accurate kicker Morten Andersen. Very sad! Still the players can't blame just one guy, if a first down was made here or there it wouldn't come down to a kick. But I hope the Giants cut the guy.

Now about the Colts game: The only thing the Steelers got was what the Colts gave them, Peyton's dumb move int! They came out like wildfire on both sides of the ball, and were only slowed by their own mistakes. The penalty on Harrison vs. Ike Taylor hurt them, though Harrison was only retaliating for the last play. It's like in grade school, the kid who hits back is always the one who gets caught, not the one who started it. But it was overall a thorough domination.

After the game, I noticed when they interviewed The Edge he answered all the questions very well, but when they mentioned being undefeated he said theyh couldn't think about that, and when she mentioned it again his face froze like he was blanking it out. He was that focused. I really think they as a team have psyched themselves up, and there are some things they won't allow themselves to think about. This is helping them. They are on a mission, and are doing what they must mentally as well as physically.

the giants in no way lost the game due to bad calls... i never said that, never insinuated it, and it's part of the game. if you re-read what i wrote i was defending referee's rights to make bad calls without being thrown under the bus. the nfl is wrong to do that.

as for the kicker... yes... it was sickening to lose that game... and i do hate kickers, but as pissed as i am... a) i don't want them to cut feely... who the hell else they gonna get midseason? he'd been great before that game... and b) as much as i get angry about him missing those fieldgoals i'm not stupid enough to not know that if not for the 15 some odd false start penalties and the absolutely horrific interception thrown by eli when they were driving to put the game out of reach in the 1st half... that jay feely never would have gotten the chance to blow the game. the game is a journey... not a single event. every single little thing over the course of that game is what ultimately lead to the result... not just the stupid idiot kicker.

now as for peyton... the only reason why i hold brady in a higher esteem than manning, even though i think peyton is a far better skilled QB, is because brady has proven that he can win the big one. peyton has not. once peyton does win the super bowl, the argument, for me, is over... and peyton is instantly placed as a permanent member of the pantheon of all time NFL quarterbacks... brady currently holds a temporary membership to the pantheon. it can be revoked if he tanks the rest of his career. but if he continues to play teh way he has, then when he retires, even if he never wins another super bowl, his full time membership in the pantheon shall be stamped.

only one qb has made it to headache's nfl pantheon without winning a super bowl... and that's obviously eli manning j/k... dan marino.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

If you watched the game and read the NFL statement about the officiating, the Giants benefited from what were later described as 2 mistaken TD calls. If during the game they are both called incompletions, the Giants never come close to taking the game to OT, it was the Seahawks who nearly lost due to "bad" calls, but Jay Feely is a man of justice and righted any potential wrongs.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
If you watched the game and read the NFL statement about the officiating, the Giants benefited from what were later described as 2 mistaken TD calls. If during the game they are both called incompletions, the Giants never come close to taking the game to OT, it was the Seahawks who nearly lost due to "bad" calls, but Jay Feely is a man of justice and righted any potential wrongs.

Quote:
The NFL on Tuesday defended two touchdown calls by officials during the Seattle Seahawks 24-21 overtime win against the New York Giants on Sunday.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren had said Monday that the league had admitted officiating errors to the team.

"I had a conversation with the league, and there were mistakes that were made, which we felt at the time," Holmgren said.

The league, however, strongly denied any second-guessing about two Giants touchdown passes.

"The report that the NFL informed the Seahawks of officiating mistakes on two Giants touchdown receptions is inaccurate," the league said in a statement.

"Our officiating department never discussed with the Seahawks the Amani Toomer touchdown reception, which was properly called. The Jeremy Shockey touchdown catch at the end of the first half was not overturned because the referee determined that there was insufficient visual evidence to reverse the call."

Holmgren's disclosure is being reviewed as a potential violation of league policy, which says that a coach is not allowed to publicly divulge confidential conversations with the officiating department, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Holmgren may be subject to a fine and his access to the officiating office could be restricted for a limited amount of time.

Sunday, with 1:14 left in the second quarter and the Seahawks leading 7-3, Shockey briefly caught a 7-yard pass from Eli Manning in the center of the end zone. Seattle safety Marquand Manuel then lowered his right shoulder into Shockey and forced the ball to the turf, though officials signaled a touchdown.

Jim Blackwood, the replay review official, buzzed Nemmers, an NFL game official for 21 years, and asked him to review the play to determine if Shockey had possession long enough to constitute a catch.

After a few moments, Nemmers emerged from under the hooded replay monitor beyond the sideline and declared Shockey did secure possession before losing the ball. The touchdown stood and the Giants took a 10-7 lead into halftime.

With 2:03 left in regulation, Toomer leaped high and caught another pass at the back of the end zone. Toomer got his left foot down inside the end line and then appeared to drag the toes of his right shoe into his left as it hit the turf.

At least that's what game officials concluded on the field -- and what Nemmers concluded after reviewing Holmgren's challenge to that call.

That score, and the Shockey's subsequent two-point conversion catch, tied it at 21 with 1:59 left.

Holmgren said he was told by game officials there was not enough indisputable visual evidence to overturn either touchdown.

"Look, I get excited about it, just like any coach would, especially if you think it might cost you a ball game. But it's a tough job," Holmgren said. "Officials have a tough job. They are honest guys doing the best they can."

So the official NFL statement, not hearsay from toolbag Mike Holmgren, states exactly what I said in response to the original article... that the Toomer play was, in fact, a catch, and the Shockey play was the right call because there was not enough evidence to over-turn it, thus making the call on the field stand.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Or is the NFL backtracking and covering up the statements it made to the toolbag cause they never thought he'd go public with them?

Shockey's TD was absolutely not a catch.
Toomer's was.
Thats the expert opinion of this veteran NFL viewer.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor

no indisputable evidence... he may have gotten his pinky toe down
Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

"I'm not no negative guy." -- Dre' Bly
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor