The Official NFL Thread, Part Duex... No TO or Brady Bashing Allowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
If I were the owner I would have fired him before the OT coin toss in the divisional game against Carolina 2 years ago for the way he handled the end of regulation. (Just like I would have fired Norv Turner after his 4 failed running plays on first and goal from the 1 against the Giants last Saturday night while Randy Moss was kept on the sidelines, I was surprised he lasted until Tuesday).

Sometimes making the playoffs is still falling way short of expectations (ask Grady Little)

so i guess after pete caroll had a 4th and 2 with the national championship on the line and had the heisman trophy winner sitting on the sideline, he should watch his back?

that's gonna be fun for poor pete... in like 25 years, as reggie bush is being inducted into canton after setting every rushing record there is... and pete caroll's sitting in a nursing home, a giant load in his pants, watching the ceremony on espn14... the catorce, to the kids... and some wise ass leans over to him and says "kinda wish ya had him in the game on 4th down, don'tcha?"

yea... that's gonna suck.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

so i guess after pete caroll had a 4th and 2 with the national championship on the line and had the heisman trophy winner sitting on the sideline, he should watch his back?

The difference there is that Carroll has won two championships in a row, while Martz and Turner haven't won anything as head coaches.

Hewson said:
If I owned USC, yes.

What was Carroll gonna do in that situation? His defense couldn't stop Vince Young. They would have marched right down the field anyway. He had no choice but to go for it.

White was the more effective runner in that game. Except for a few plays, Bush wasn't moving the ball that well all night.

phanan said:

What was Carroll gonna do in that situation? His defense couldn't stop Vince Young. They would have marched right down the field anyway. He had no choice but to go for it.

White was the more effective runner in that game. Except for a few plays, Bush wasn't moving the ball that well all night.

...but he needs to be on the field.

if he's on the field he instantly draws two defenders to him, and every other defender is keeping an eye on him... just in case, even though after that stupid attempted pitch/fumble in the first half has baisicly taken him mentaly out of the game... his mere pressence on the field stretches the defense.

then you could still hand it to white, but with bush on the field as a decoy pulling defenders out of the box, perhaps white picks up those two yards...

i wouldn't have punted either, but reggie bush needs to be on the field.

phanan said:

Very f'in simple: P-U-N-T!
2:09 on the clock, make them go 80+ yards, not fiftyfriggin'seven yards.
Face it, if they punt and everything plays out similarly, Texas likely runs out of time around the 15-20 yard line and USC wins.

Obviously Texas may have still scored, but play the percentages and give your team the best chance to win.

i have no problem with him not punting... he went to put the game away then and there. i'm ok with that line of thinking.

what i'm not ok with is having the heisman trophy winner and #1 pick in the draft on the sideline with his thumb up his ass... and the fact that young was able to just walk into the endzone untouched because they only put one spy on him, who i think was either a freshman or sophomore and fell down on that last play... aaaand i don't like how they used a time out on the 2-point conversion instead of saving it for the final drive down the field where it actually could have come in handy. even if they walk in on the 2-point conversion a field goal still ties the game.

and it would have been nice if he had taken a timeout to give them time to review the vince young pitch in the first half, but i blame that more on the system than on pete.

Hewson said:
Very f'in simple: P-U-N-T!
2:09 on the clock, make them go 80+ yards, not fiftyfriggin'seven yards.
Face it, if they punt and everything plays out similarly, Texas likely runs out of time around the 15-20 yard line and USC wins.

Obviously Texas may have still scored, but play the percentages and give your team the best chance to win.

Vince Young would have still gotten in the end zone - I have no doubt about that. USC couldn't stop him. Carroll had no confidence in his defense, and you really can't blame him.

Texas would have changed a few plays if they were farther away, but I have no doubt Young would have marched them right down the field still.

aaaand i don't like how they used a time out on the 2-point conversion instead of saving it for the final drive down the field where it actually could have come in handy. even if they walk in on the 2-point conversion a field goal still ties the game.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.
I mean, save that timeout...obviously it was a young kid who called it, but hell if you're worried you have the wrong D in, jump across the line and make contact, whats half the disatnce gonna matter...that timeout was huge.
The last play, from the 40 with 8 seconds left...if USC has a timeout, they can toss to the middle of the field, drop to a knee and call timeout (Hell they could have run Bush and called timeout), and had a shot at a 50 or so yd FG to tie.
Even if you get the Steel Curtain in for the 2 point play after you call time, what good is it to be down 1 rather than 3 if you can't set up for a FG?

Anyway...clearly that 4th down play failed and its easy to 2nd guess, but punting guarantees the long field, or as you suggest, Bush's presence might open up a hole for White...either way USC blew the game on that play.

the annoyance over paying waaaay too much on e-bay for the tickets because i tried to buy them while under the influence has worn off... and now i'm getting excited about goign to the game sunday... :dance:

and if start drinking early enough, and stop by half time... i could conievably have my hangover by sunday night so that it'll be all gone by the time i have to go to court monday morning :hmm:

herm is officialy out from the jets and close to signing with the chiefs... a 4th round pick will be going to the jets, who shit the bed and cost themselves extra draft picks when it became public knowledge that ownership didn't really want herm anyways.
Thats why they're always gonna be the Jets.

Of course Herm could do well in KC...what happened last time the J-E-T-S let a coach go to another team for draft picks?
Belichick to NE if I recall.
Anyone know who the Jets drafted with those picks so we can determine which team got the better end of that deal?
I only know the one side, 3 SuperBowl titles for the Pats, not sure how well the Jets made out.

and if start drinking early enough, and stop by half time... i could conievably have my hangover by sunday night so that it'll be all gone by the time i have to go to court monday morning :hmm:
There's a sound strategy.

BradyEliManning.jpg

"heh heh... yea... i used to beat peyton in tecmo bowl all the time. you're right, it is fun."

So, Brian Urlacher was named the NFL's defensive player of the year. I don't know, I mean he had a much better season than last year but still.

He said in an interview that the reason his performance was so much stronger this year is b/c he doesn't have any issues in his private life now. Hahahaha.

And Eli, that is fabulous picture. :up:

Joe Vitt, who served as the St. Louis Rams' interim head coach while Mike Martz was sidelined by a bacterial infection to his heart, will interview early next week for the New York Jets' vacancy created by the Friday departure of Herm Edwards.

OK, what makes for better football news...

Marcus Vick is going to enter the draft?

or

Grudden is considering picking up T.O. after his release from Philly next month?

the possibilities boggle the mind... :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom