The Official NFL Thread, Part Duex... No TO or Brady Bashing Allowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Bungles returning to their old ways this past weekend, there is a distinct possibility that the Patriots will wind up as the #3 seed, with Cincinnati at #4.

While this would mean that the Patriots would not face the Colts until the AFC Championship game (if they got that far), I think I'd rather face the Jaguars in the first round vs. the Steelers. Perhaps in this case, the lower seed would be better.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i got a feeling we're headed towards another colts-pats afc championship game... this one under the dome.

:hmm:

I feel the same..however it will depend if the Pats can beat Miami seeing since Miami is on a tear right now. Hopefully, and probably, they will. I think a Pats/Colts game would be awesome!!! Nothing like seeing Peyton losing in front of his home fans!!!

Seriously, however, I think that would be a great game:wink:

for those with no vested playoff interest, some early draft talk

there is always the race for Reggie Bush, folks

looks like even if the Texans win, they might get the top pick, because the tiebreaker between the 3 win teams (possibly up to 5) Niners, Texans, Jets, Packers, and Saints, anyhow the tiebreaker is strength of schedule, meaning whoever played the easiest schedule would get the top pick.

Right now that is Houston, the Niners are 3rd, I don't know about the rest but that could change by the end of next week, the SOS ratings are complicated so it's a guessing game, but I think the Niners probably beat the Texans anyway and Reggie Bush gets to play behind that absolute sieve of an offensive line.

The Jets are looking good to get Leinart.
all 4 of those other teams have a young QB in the wings or on the field, with a possible exception of the Saints, who may or may not have Brooks under contract for several years. Sure the Jets have Pennington, but he can't stay healthy and he would likely fill the void for a year or maybe two of grooming.

So Reggie Bush to Houston and Matt Leinart to the NY Jets.
I'll say the Niners draft AJ Hawk, Jimmy Williams or trade down.
The Saints and Packers, who knows? I follow the Niners and Jets pretty closely but not the others, and depsite my deep seething hatred for all things USC, I hope my two favorite NFL teams get those two guys.

Last edited:
I was reading Don Banks' column on cnnsi.com, and he stated that if all five teams finish with three wins, the Saints would win the tiebreaker.

Of course, they already have Deuce McAllister, so would they take Leinart instead?

Interesting possibilities...

I don't know who I would take first in the draft for QB's. Leinart is a proven winner, and has come up big in clutch situations.

Young has a ton of potential, but I fear he could turn in to a Aaron Brooks type player....great sometimes, really really bad most of the time.

Would Houston take Bush? They do have Davis as their running back, he's not horrible. I think Houston needs a O-Line makeover badly. They get that straightned out, and maybe a decent receiving tight end to help bail Carr out, they could be a good team next year.

Of course my team the 49ers need more than just Bush. But I'd love to see them take him if they can. Take Bush in the 1st, then with your other picks shore up the O-line and secondary.

The one steal I think in the draft will be to whoevever drafts Chad Greenway out of Iowa. He may not hit as hard as a AJ Hawk or other big name linebackers, but the guy does not miss tackles. In fact, I think he's the surest tackler in the game. He's also extremely fast and agile. I do think it'll take him a little time to adjust to the pro game though.

As for this year's playoff run. I feel horrible for Tony Dungy. I don't see how you could even come back to coach this year. I know the Colts will try to rally around this, but I think it's too much. If the Pats can get to the AFC title, game, they'll be my pick to go and win the Super Bowl.

In the NFC, if Seattle plays as well as they have been, they'll take care of business. They have a ball hawking defense, and if that defense shows up in the playoffs, they'll be very tough to beat.

I really want to see how the Colts do with their first playoff game. If they come out and set the world afire, then I think they'll win it. If they show signs of emotional tear, or wear, then I'll go with the Pats.

i got a feeling we're headed towards another colts-pats afc championship game... this one under the dome.

:hmm:

:yawn:

then what will the colts fans say when they lose to the pats in the playoffs...again? surely there will be another excuse because the weather is no longer a factor.

BEAL said:
In the NFC, if Seattle plays as well as they have been, they'll take care of business. They have a ball hawking defense, and if that defense shows up in the playoffs, they'll be very tough to beat.

i cannot tell you how unimpressed i am with seattle... they've played NO ONE. they've been looking impressive by running over bad teams. now all be it, they're beating the teams they're supposed to beat and yes, i would list them as the favorite by default...

but in no way do i see them in anyway as a team that simply needs to play well and they'll roll through the NFC. their two blow out wins were against philly and san francisco... whoopity doo...

here are the teams they've played with a winning record...
at jacksonville (loss 26-14)
vs. atlanta (win 21-18)
at washington (loss 20-17 OT)
vs. dallas (win 13-10... an absolute gift of a game)
vs. giants (win 24-21... again, an complete gift)
vs. indianapolis (win 28-13... peyton manning out of the game by the 2nd quarter... meaningless game for indy as they had already clinched everything and were no longer undefeated)

to say they've been less than impressive against quality opponents would be an understatement.

the NFC is wiiiiiiiide open... i would not be surprised one bit if any of the four favorites... seattle, chicago, carolina and new york... make it to the super bowl.

Seattle's biggest advantage now is geography.
Its a long way to travel if you're the Bucs, Giants, Panthers, Redskins, Bears...the likely 5 other NFC teams all have huge distance to travel if they must face the Seabags, that can be a major factor, especially in the divisional round where the team that faces them (probably NYG or TB if seedings hold) will have to play the week before, then travel 3000 miles (or more for TB) to play a rested Seahag team.
I don't think the Seamonkeys are a dominant team, but they are clearly the team to beat in the NFC.

Either way, expect any AFC representative to be laying at least 7 in the Superbowl, certainly double digits if its the Colts, and possibly the highest Superbowl betting line ever(maybe 20) if it ends up Colts vs Bears or Bucs.
The NY factor will keep the line at about 14 if its Colts/Giants.
Same for Redskins.
And likely Colts would be 11 over Seattle or Carolina.

that's what most people thought about the afc when the pats beat the rams a few years back...
No, actually in 2001/2002 the Steelers would have been favored over every other NFC playoff team and a small underdog to the Rams.

i cannot tell you how unimpressed i am with seattle... they've played NO ONE. they've been looking impressive by running over bad teams. now all be it, they're beating the teams they're supposed to beat and yes, i would list them as the favorite by default...

but in no way do i see them in anyway as a team that simply needs to play well and they'll roll through the NFC. their two blow out wins were against philly and san francisco... whoopity doo...

here are the teams they've played with a winning record...
at jacksonville (loss 26-14)
vs. atlanta (win 21-18)
at washington (loss 20-17 OT)
vs. dallas (win 13-10... an absolute gift of a game)
vs. giants (win 24-21... again, an complete gift)
vs. indianapolis (win 28-13... peyton manning out of the game by the 2nd quarter... meaningless game for indy as they had already clinched everything and were no longer undefeated)

to say they've been less than impressive against quality opponents would be an understatement.

the NFC is wiiiiiiiide open... i would not be surprised one bit if any of the four favorites... seattle, chicago, carolina and new york... make it to the super bowl.

You're still stinging from Feely's missed field goals :wink:

I do agree with what you're saying actually. They have had some games where they should not have won the game (Giants for one).

The bottom line though is they found a way to win. In the past, Seattle has always found a way to lose. For some reason this year is different.

I'm not a Seahawks fan, but they're the only team I see myself rooting for in the playoffs. They have to most likable players in my opinion.

I'll just keep waiting for the 49ers to straighten the ship, albeit many more years......

didn't you know that the personalities of the players off the field matter much more than their skills on the field? wins and losses mean nothing compared to being a nice guy.

Well, it's set up.

The Patriots play Jacksonville and, barring a disaster, will win and move on to play the Colts the following weekend.

And the winner of the Patriots-Colts game will win the Super Bowl.

No. 1 draws the lower seed of the wild-card game winners, so if Pittsburgh takes down Cincinnati, they'd face Indy.

I'm definitely glad New England lost today and is playing Jacksonville instead of Pittsburgh.

Time to start my playoff rooting for "anybody but the Patriots"! :happy:

I never thought I would actually be rooting for Jacksonville...:yikes:

Yeah, but last year, despite my extreme dislike for all things New England Patriot, I now have a seething, passionate hatred for that team unlike anything else in professional sports.

Admittedly, they'll probably beat Jacksonville, but when they go to Indianapolis...oh wow, what a glorious feeling that's going to be to see the following statistics:

IND 35 - NE 10
P. Manning (IND) 23/35, 274 Yds, 4 TD, 0 INT
T. Brady (NE) 16/28, 125 Yds, 0 TD, 3 INT

And then I will cry tears of joy, and rub it in all the faces of the multitudes of bandwagon New England fans we have around here.

Hey fellas

Just checking in again- wanted to let everyone here know that I plan on winning not only the Super Bowl this year, but the Super Bowl MVP award again, and I am going to dedicate it not to Bridget Moynahan- but to U2Kitten.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Your favorite 3 time Super Bowl Champ

Tom Brady

Well now that the Eagles are done, I've gotta channel all that energy I've spent cheering for the Eagles somewhere else - and that's against the Pats.

DaveC said:
Yeah, but last year, despite my extreme dislike for all things New England Patriot, I now have a seething, passionate hatred for that team unlike anything else in professional sports.

Admittedly, they'll probably beat Jacksonville, but when they go to Indianapolis...oh wow, what a glorious feeling that's going to be to see the following statistics:

IND 35 - NE 10
P. Manning (IND) 23/35, 274 Yds, 4 TD, 0 INT
T. Brady (NE) 16/28, 125 Yds, 0 TD, 3 INT

And then I will cry tears of joy, and rub it in all the faces of the multitudes of bandwagon New England fans we have around here.

that's just hateful... :grumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom