The Official NBA Thread- Business Casual Atire is Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they had supporting casts like in 00, 01, and 02 they would've beaten the spurs and pistons in 03 and 04

having a washed up gary payton and karl malone's knee won't help, and guys that tagged along for the 1st few championships without really doing anything

sure kobe's attitude screwed them over for more championships, but so did mitch kupchak for getting exactly 75 cents on the dollar for Shaq.

oh the spurs and pistons won "fair and square"

but let's not get silly now... the problems with shaq and kobe have gone back for years. the championships they did win were despite their problems. if the two of them could have ever gotten along, they would have been near unstopable.

that said, childish feuds between shaq and kobe are not the spurs and/or pistons' problem.

doesn't mean you can't still think about what might have been if they could have gotten along... much like what might have been if michael jordan never retired the first time... where certainly 8 straight titles weren't out of the realm of possability then either, and probably likely.

Well you probably all knew I would come in here to make a big deal about the Mavs comeback today. But more than anything I'm upset they fell back 24 to the Raptors. Regardless, it was still fun as hell to watch that comeback.

Something strange is going on with Dirk right now. I noticed he popped his jersey today and during the game against Memphis a few nights ago he even threw up the shocker.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
not for nothing, but i hate the jersey "pop." they actually made it against the rules on long island in high school... automatic T.

I like that. They should give technicals for that at the NCAA level the jersey pop is rediculous. I hate guys who do it.

jersey%20popping1.jpg

i dont mind the jersey pop

youre showing off your team name, i can live with that

if it was showing off your own name then i d have more of a problem with it

So maybe Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant can be the new Bird/Magic and rekindle the Celtic/Laker rivalry after last night....ok maybe not.
But it was a pretty good game. And of course at the end, Pierce did the jersey pop.

of course he did... and of course it's on espn.com's front page somewhere.

the jersey pop was cool when it was only done every now and then. the first time i remember seeing it was john starks during one of those knicks-bulls slugfests (gee, i wonder who ultimately won the series?)... i'm sure he wasn't the first one to do it, but i remember seeing it at the time and thinking "damn... that's pretty cool." and yes, i can pretty much gaurantee that at one point or another i probably did the jersey pop myself.

but now guys do it after they get a layup in the first quarter. what used to be a statement of pride in one's team has become just another lame way of calling attention to yourself.

i'm tired of it.

Ah, I see.

You are correct, sir. It is indeed less cool than the collar pop.

The really give a tech for this? Has anyone ever complained that they just had an itch?

Here's hoping that Ryan Gomes continues to get a lot of playing time when the Celtics get healthy. I realize I'm looking at a small sampling of games, but he's showing signs of being a very solid pro. :drool:

randhail said:
Here's hoping that Ryan Gomes continues to get a lot of playing time when the Celtics get healthy. I realize I'm looking at a small sampling of games, but he's showing signs of being a very solid pro. :drool:

they have a solid chance of making the playoffs since the East is so shallow at the 8th spot and 3-4 teams after. :yikes:

Can't they just give the Pistons the win already, so that team doesn't get their hopes up right away

Last edited:
Isiah Thomas, who planned to fly to Europe on a scouting trip Monday, instead was summoned to San Antonio by team owner James Dolan for a high-level meeting with Larry Brown and the rest of the Madison Square Garden brass to discuss the debacle that is the Knicks, the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting.

Tuesday in Memphis, it is assumed Thomas will meet with Dolan, Brown, team president and COO Steve Mills, and vice chairman of Madison Square Garden Hank Ratner, where they can discuss the Knicks' performance that has resulted in a 15-41 record.

Following Monday might's loss to the Spurs, Dolan and Thomas spent a few moments in the locker room and then headed to Memphis in Dolan's private jet, the Star-Ledger reported.

Dolan makes regular visits to the team's training facility in Westchester, where he meets with Thomas, Brown and Mills. But apparently he didn't want to wait.

Although the meeting with Thomas was hastily arranged, there are no indications the GM's job is in jeopardy at this point, the Star-Ledger reported. A spokesman for Thomas said he changed his plans himself because he wanted to be with the team in its time of desperation, but another MSG official said Thomas' presence was requested by Dolan, according to the Star-Ledger.

Dolan had planned to join the team on this trip for several weeks, and Tuesday he plans to address the state of the club.

:drool:

:applaud:

hopefully he's detained from the GM job like Lynn from '24' last night

by a clause of mental instability

there is some hope for knick fans... some, very little though.

espn.com has a poll titled "who deserves the most blame for the knicks troubles?"

the national results read as followed...
larry brown- 6%
isiah thomas- 56%
james dolan- 3%
scott layden- 3%
the players- 32%

in new york, the polls changed a bit...
larry brown- 5%
isiah thomas- 56%
james dolan- 8%
scott layden- 5%
the players- 25%

so there is hope... 8% of knick fans (based in new york) have a fucking clue.

that list should be in the following order...
1. james dolan
2. tie- isiah thomas/scott layden
3. don cheney and antonio mcdyess' other knee
4. allan houston's contract
5. larry brown
6. the players
7. patrick ewing & dave checkets

dolan obviously deserves the most blame, because he drove checkets and grunfeld away... and he was ruining the rangers as well before the lockout and salary cap saved them.

there is no difference between isiah thomas and scott layden. layden traded for terrible players with bad contracts, isiah traded for more talented players, but traded for guys who all played the same position, most of whom have attitude problems. layden would consistantly trade away the knicks draft picks... i.e. the 9th pick in the draft & marcus camby for antonio mcdyess...

mcdyess was coming off knee surgery when the knicks traded for him... so it was a huge risk. but he was playing like the man beast that he used to be before the injury during his first preseason with the knicks. the explosiveness was back. i remember watching him tool up tim duncan in a preseason game, and despite not liking the trade from the start, i had to be giddy with the potential... and then don cheney left him in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason blowout against, ironicly enough, stephon marbury's phoenix suns, he comes down after a dunk and breaks his other knee cap... not the one that was hurt originaly, but the other one. and just like that the knicks season is over... and this ultimately leads to layden being fired, isiah being brought in, the marbury trade, etc etc etc.

i loved watching allan houston play. his jump shot was so silky smooth, it was a joy to watch. the day before st. patrick's day in 2003 i got 4 free tickets to the knicks-bucks game, called up some friends, had some beverages and off to the garden expecting to see a horrific game, but hey... tickets were free. turned out to be a great game, lots of offense, both teams in the 100s, and houston dropped 50 points. it was amazing to watch. but the fact is that layden gave him about 30 million more than anyone else was offering. not houston's fault, but it killed the knicks cap none the less.

larry brown deserves some blame. he's getting 10 million dollars a year... he actually has some talent here, as issue ridden as the talent might be... but he's getting absolutely nothing out of them. and he refuses to play the rookies enough, and he refuses to demand that they pump the ball into eddy curry more often, so that maybe we can actually see if the guy we traded adam morrison for will ever be worth it.

finally, the very first domino that fell was the patrick ewing trade. ewing had one year left on his contract when he asked to be traded. if checkets (who was really in control despite scott layden being the GM at the time) had simply called ewing's bluff and kept him instead of trading him, 16 million dollars would have come off the cap the next offseason, allowing the knicks to go out and sign chris webber, or any other free agent available at the time. but checkets agreed to his request and traded ewing, and the knicks 2001 1st round pick, for glen rice and luc longley. the rest is history.

Enough talk about the knicks. The waste in my garbage can could play better ball than those guys.

thetitans2k said:
Enough talk about the knicks. The waste in my garbage can could play better ball than those guys.

he's from NY, let him talk about his team.

but I guess if it's a problem I'll stop talking about the Mavs too

wait one last thing

TNT TOMORROW 9:30 ET/8:30 CT

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Never mind that Isiah Thomas has changed the Knicks' roster completely in two years and hired Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and the record still is 15-42. The way owner James Dolan sees it, wins are "not integral to the strategy right now."

Dolan understands fans are unhappy and has heard the cries from commentators to fire the team president, but he believes Thomas and Brown ultimately can build a contender within four years and is determined to stay the course with them no matter how bad his $125-million roster looks now.

"I can't say it to you any plainer than I've already said it: I'm not making a change," Dolan said in a 40-minute meeting yesterday with Knicks beat writers. "I believe in the plan; I believe in the strategy; I believe in the guys who are executing it.

"Maybe some people think I'm brain-dead because of that and the record. But you know what? Time will tell ... I fully expect you'll all kill me in the papers [today] with this, but I'm going to stick with it until we stop making progress or until we achieve our goal."

Dolan said the Knicks' goal is to become a regular playoff team with a chance to eventually contend for the NBA title that has eluded the franchise for the past 33 seasons. Asked how long that should take, Dolan said, "It's our hope three to four years. This being season one. When we look at the strategy, that's what we're estimating it's going to take us."

:sigh:

:banghead:

in the sports guy's latest article he writes about how he'd start shawn marion at the 4 over elton brand on the olympic team... which goes to show you exactly how little the sports guy actually knows about basketball.

Under international rules, it's not that ludicrous. Marion is a little more versatile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom