The Official NBA Thread- Business Casual Atire is Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 'Shooting Stars' competition is a joke

like the Sports Guy said, they need a game of 'Horse'

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2006 three point shootout champion...

Dirk_Nowitzki__Dall_132067a.jpg

And without further ado, your 2006 Sprite 'Rising Stars' Slam Dunk Champion:

Nate Robinson

nate41ox.jpg

* because of this I have a new rule, any short NBA player named Nate is going to be good, and that's no lie.

the shooting stars thing isn't a bad idea, it only takes like 5 minutes to do the entire thing.

the so called skills competition, though, is a joke... i'd replace that with the sports guy's HORSE idea.

the three point contest used to be good... now it has quentin richardson.

and the dunk contest has turned into a complete joke. ok, let's give someone 14 tries to get one dunk down. kinda negates the point, doesn't it?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the shooting stars thing isn't a bad idea, it only takes like 5 minutes to do the entire thing.

the so called skills competition, though, is a joke... i'd replace that with the sports guy's HORSE idea.

the three point contest used to be good... now it has quentin richardson.

and the dunk contest has turned into a complete joke. ok, let's give someone 14 tries to get one dunk down. kinda negates the point, doesn't it?

If Chris Anderson did that everyone would've laughed and sat down.

Nate Robinson did it, so people cheered him on and hoped he could do it.

Iggy got robbed of the dunk title. He deserved to win. Nate got a sympathy vote. That's a fact.

And I have nothing against Dirk, but his last shot in the first round came after the buzzer. It should NOT have counted. Ray Allen should've advanced to the final instead. And he would've won.

Alright my family lives near Dallas where my dad managed a hotel, but a few months back he transferred because he got a better offer to manage a hotel in downtown Houston. My university is right south of Austin.

Anyway, my dad just called and said "Feel like driving?"

He got hooked up with tickets.

And I'm going to the All Star Game!

Full report tomorrow.

report out of new york... the deal is in place and could be finalized as soon as today.

Jamal Crawford, Mo Taylor & Trevor Ariza to Orlando, Stevie Disinfranchised & Pat Garrity to New York.

as terrible as it's going to be to have marbury and francis in the backcourt together, seeing as it was a forgone conclusion that the deal was francis was going to get done and we had no choice in the matter, it's actually not as terrible as it could have been. at least htey didn't have to give up one of the rookies and/or penny's expiring deal.

but alas, that could be in the next deal :madspit:

ok... so besides the afformentioned deal for francis mentioned above, this is also the rumors running around about the knicks... take from it what you will.

quentin richardson to minnesota for marko jaric

penny hardaway's expiring contract and a future #1 to portland for theo ratliff and darius miles

and the grand-daddy of them all... penny's contract, channing frye and picks for the big ticket himself, kevin garnett.

i cannot fathom minnesota ever doing that... but the idea of it makes me giddy.

Steve Francis is headed to New York under a deal agreed to Wednesday by the Knicks and the Orlando Magic, ESPN.com has learned.

The teams agreed to a trade of Francis for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza, two league sources with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.com.

I hope they threw Lil Penny in the deal too

Not only that but I'm hearing things about a JC/Taylor/Butler/Pick for K-Mart/Watson deal. And before the Francis deal went down, I was hearing about a Craw/Penny for Ratliff/Miles deal.

IT is a truly horrible GM.

Headache, can you explain to me why both Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas seem completely opposed to the idea of just letting expiring contracts expire?

because they are under the ludacris opinion that you cannot rebuild in new york, which is a myth perpetuated by their douche bag of an owner, jim dolan.

the dolan family bought madison square garden, which included the knicks, rangers, liberty, radio city music hall and the hartford civic center.. in 1993. in their first year of existance, with the previous regime's practices still in place, both the knicks and the rangers were in the finals of their respective sports, the knicks losing in 7 games, the rangers winning the stanley cup.

from that point on, you could see the writing on the wall. top garden execs started leaving... ernie grunfeld, neil smith, dave checketts... as jim dolan more and more started running things at MSG his way. the teams were still competitive for a few more years, but they were doing so by adding aging stars at a high price for long term deals. as the teams started to fade in the late 90s, early 00's, they simply kept adding more names, trying to fill the seats by putting stars on the court/ice rather than acquiring younger players. when it didn't work, they just got someone else... and someone else... and someone else... until eventually you got the mess you see today.

it took a year long lock out and a hard salary cap to curtail the ATM on ice, and just like the rangers, were forced to pick and choose which stars to keep and whom to get rid of for role players, and low and behold the rangers are competing for first place in their division this year.

unless david stern steps in and does something, this practice will continue until jim dolan sells the garden.

Last edited:
Is there any set of circumstances in which Dolan could be forced to sell? Couldn't the the other owners(surely there are minority owners and such?) vote him out or something?

Madison Square Garden, Ltd. is owned entirely by Cablevision Corp., which is owned entirely by the Dolan family.

The only way they'd be forced to sell is if Jim's father, Charles Dolan, forces it... which was rumored to be a possibility a few months ago when father and son were involved in an argument over Cablevision's failing satelite TV service, but other than that... there are no minority owners. dolan has complete control

jim dolan is also the person behind the colapse of the west side stadium deal, which lead to new york city's bid for the 2012 olympics to fail, and which also ultimately lead to the new york jets moving their base of operations off long island and into jersey.

dolan outbid the jets for the west side property, then when the olympics fell through and the jets abandoned their plans to build the stadium, dolan dropped his bid for the west side train yards.

the property still has no owner, and there is still no current plans for development of the lone undeveloped property in all of manhattan.

all because dolan feared that a new stadium would draw concerts and events away from madison square garden.

the nfl draft used to be held at MSG's theater every year. after dolan did this tagliabue canceled their contract and moved the event to the jacob javits center instead.

Ooooooh, that is torture!

The 92-93 and 93-94 Knicks teams were the best of the entire Ewing era, imo! The best in Knicks history, in fact, perhaps with the exception of the Frazier/Reed/Monroe teams of the 70s!

And those Knicks/Pacers playoff games were almost...almost... but not quite as good as those legendary Knicks/Bulls playoff games.

Watching that at this particular point in time must make you want to open fire on Dolan's office. Or IT's office. Or both.

:wink:

I'm going to be in NY for a week in late April, want to catch an NBA game. According to ticketmaster, I really have only two choices, shitty Knicks seats vs Charlotte or very good Nets seats vs the Knicks. What, good gentlemen, would you recommend between the two, factoring the travel to NJ (it doesn't look far as the crow flies, but is it easy/difficult by public transport, and/or expensive by cab? Is the time/expense versus the lazy stroll from hotel to MSG worth it?) and the difference in expense (the Nets tickets are about twice as much as the Knicks tickets, but are way way way better seats). Either way I'm wanting to snap them up this week.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
thoughts from the opening of the season...

--the knicks will have one of the 5 best recrods in the eastern conference after the all star break... unfortunatly they'll be struggling to get to .500 before it.

:wink:

Did anyone else see any of the Bucks/Bulls game on ESPN last night?
WTF were the Bulls wearing.
Most heinous uniforms in sports history.
What is it about Chi-town?
First the Bears wear those orange jerseys so now the Bulls have to outdo them by wearing red shirts and blue shorts?
It looked like the team manager forgot to wash the shorts and the only store near the United Center only sold blue gym shorts.
:yuck:

Hewson said:
First the Bears wear those orange jerseys so now the Bulls have to outdo them by wearing red shirts and blue shorts?
It looked like the team manager forgot to wash the shorts and the only store near the United Center only sold blue gym shorts.

Throwback jerseys. The mix n' match used to be all the rage.

I didn't like them at all. But I liked the outcome of the game. hahaha!!

I don't have any idea what Thomas is doing. I truely hope he has another trade in the works to get someone like Kenyon Martin. Then it would be the sweetest NBA Live 2006 team ever! Even comparable to the Lakers back when they had payton, kobe, malone, and Shaq. And that's saying something.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'm going to be in NY for a week in late April, want to catch an NBA game. According to ticketmaster, I really have only two choices, shitty Knicks seats vs Charlotte or very good Nets seats vs the Knicks. What, good gentlemen, would you recommend between the two, factoring the travel to NJ (it doesn't look far as the crow flies, but is it easy/difficult by public transport, and/or expensive by cab? Is the time/expense versus the lazy stroll from hotel to MSG worth it?) and the difference in expense (the Nets tickets are about twice as much as the Knicks tickets, but are way way way better seats). Either way I'm wanting to snap them up this week.

there is a new jersey transit bus that goes from the port authority bus terminal to the meadowlands on game days.... something like 7 bucks round trip or so, last time i used it. problem is the meadowlands is surrounded by swamps... no resturants/bars/ or anything else.

the garden is very easy to get to by subway or taxi or even by foot depending on where you are in manhattan.

Hewson said:

they actually have worn them a few times... when the game ends you half expect for Michael Jordan and the Varsity team to come out next for their game.

Back
Top Bottom