The Official NBA Thread- Business Casual Atire is Required - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 PM
They are professional BALL PLAYERS, not businessmen. It is a sad hangup of society that a person isn't worth anything if they don't wear a suit. It's really kind of stupid when you think about it, and very much a way to stereotype people. I guess I'm just a rebel, but I'm proud. I'll never think any more of someone for wearing a suit. Some of the biggest crooks in the world wear suits and cover their ways with a fake smile and handshake. I'll take an honest man in what he chooses to wear any day. You are what you are on the inside, no clothes is going to change that. I can't believe here in the 21st century anyone still judges anyone's quality by their clothes.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

He's broken his nose so many times that there's almost no cartilage left. If he absorbs another strong blow to his nose, it'll get really messed up. Hence the continued use of the schnozzaroo.
it's still annoying

Old 12-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
They are professional BALL PLAYERS, not businessmen. It is a sad hangup of society that a person isn't worth anything if they don't wear a suit. It's really kind of stupid when you think about it, and very much a way to stereotype people. I guess I'm just a rebel, but I'm proud. I'll never think any more of someone for wearing a suit. Some of the biggest crooks in the world wear suits and cover their ways with a fake smile and handshake. I'll take an honest man in what he chooses to wear any day. You are what you are on the inside, no clothes is going to change that. I can't believe here in the 21st century anyone still judges anyone's quality by their clothes.
actually those who play professional sports are very much both... athletes and businessmen.

that might be a sad fact... but it's a fact none the less.

the very word professional suggests that. they are getting paid to play, payed to sell the league, and they should be forced to adhere to whatever guidelines the league sets forth while they are conducting league business... just like any other job in america.

what they do on their own time is their own business.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #49
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

it's still annoying
but it would be like watching michael jackson play basketball if he had another huge blow

a black michael jackson with a jumpshot
Old 12-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

actually those who play professional sports are very much both... athletes and businessmen.

that might be a sad fact... but it's a fact none the less.
No it's the agents that are the businessmen. Players are often used by their agents, crooked businessmen.

Quote:
the very word professional suggests that. they are getting paid to play, payed to sell the league, and they should be forced to adhere to whatever guidelines the league sets forth while they are conducting league business... just like any other job in america.

IMO if a guy rises above the chains of a normal life, they should not have to be held to its archaic standards. Look at U2, they have risen above it, do you see them traveling in fucking suits?? It's all you can do to get Bono to put one on to go to a political thing, and then he has to make a statement by wearing a mismatched tie or socks! It's a laugh in the face of society, ha ha, he makes more money than even the CEO's of a business and he doesn't have to wear a fucking suit! He's beat them at their own game, shit on the 'wear a suit and be a professional and you will far' brainwashing bullshit.

I am very saddened to see young people falling for the 'must wear a suit' shit. Oh if only the hippies had succeeded.

On a practical level, if I owned a team, I'd want them to travel in whatever they are most comfortable in so they'd be in the best shape possible for the upcoming game!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

No it's the agents that are the businessmen. Players are often used by their agents, crooked businessmen.

IMO if a guy rises above the chains of a normal life, they should not have to be held to its archaic standards. Look at U2, they have risen above it, do you see them traveling in fucking suits?? It's all you can do to get Bono to put one on to go to a political thing, and then he has to make a statement by wearing a mismatched tie or socks! It's a laugh in the face of society, ha ha, he makes more money than even the CEO's of a business and he doesn't have to wear a fucking suit! He's beat them at their own game, shit on the 'wear a suit and be a professional and you will far' brainwashing bullshit.

I am very saddened to see young people falling for the 'must wear a suit' shit. Oh if only the hippies had succeeded.

On a practical level, if I owned a team, I'd want them to travel in whatever they are most comfortable in so they'd be in the best shape possible for the upcoming game!

that's all fine and dandy but it's lacking in the oh so important thing we like to call reality.

the reality of the situation is that young people, be they black, white, green or orange, can not get good jobs walking into interview's dressing in a "hip hop" style, or any other style that doesn't look neat and professional, for that matter. you may not agree with that, but that is the cold hard facts.

also... this is something that is carried on at all levels of sport... from high school to college to the pro's. it's part of being respectful, of being part of a team, not an individual... placing the whole of the team before your own individual needs. i did it in high school and college and now i expect the kids that i coach to do the same. if it's not shirt and tie, it's a team issued warm up suit. nothing else is acceptable and if you show up wearing anything else, quite simply, you do not play. the majority of professional sport teams already have dress code rules in place, following the same standards. you are representing the team, not yourself, and you should dress the way the team wants you to. the new york knicks already had a dress code which is more strict than the current nba dress code in place, instituted by isiah thomas. it's part of the whole "doing it the right way" thing. you check out teams like duke, north carolina, kentucky... you don't see guys with one sock up one sock down, you don't see 50 wrist bands, wacky hair, baggy shorts, and you certainly don't see anyone getting off the team bus or chartered plane not in either tie and sportsjacket or team issued warmup apparel. it's not a secret as to why these teams are consistantly successul. the NHL has a dress code for players which is more strict than the NBA's... and the majority of NFL teams do as well... including the indianapolis colts.

and finally... the people who market the nba.. the people who buy ad spots... the people who ultimately allow kevin garnett to make 20 million dollars a year... they want this because it makes the league easier to sell to clients.

so it a) sets a good example for today's youth, b) is a tradition in sports carried on by the majority of successful programs throughout the country, and c) is desired by the people who market the league, the people who let these guys make these rediculous contracts.

as for your silly arguments re: bono... this one really made me laugh. bono is one of the most image conscious rock stars you'll ever see. helloooo... do you really believe he wears sunglasses to protect his vision? when do you ever see bono in public looking disheveled? or any of htem, for that matter? ya think they wake up looking like that? ya ever see any of 'em show up in sweatpants and a t-shirt? please...

and u2 can wear whatever the heck they want when they travel because, low and behold, unlike professional athletes, u2 are their own boss.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
when do you ever see bono in public looking disheveled?
You don't hang around PLEBA much, do you? Even when he's trying to be spiff, he's still disheveled. His shirt doesn't match his tie, his socks are wrong, his shirttail is out, he's grabbing his sleeve stretching it down over his left hand, his jacket looks like he slept in it, he didn't comb his hair or shave. And we love him for it!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

You don't hang around PLEBA much, do you? Even when he's trying to be spiff, he's still disheveled. His shirt doesn't match his tie, his socks are wrong, his shirttail is out, he's grabbing his sleeve stretching it down over his left hand, his jacket looks like he slept in it, he didn't comb his hair or shave. And we love him for it!
great response! you win this debate! [/blatant sarcasm]
Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

from espn.com

Quote:
Look, retro jerseys are the sports equivalent of Supreme Court justices wearing powdered wigs, of Presidents sporting britches and wooden teeth. Do modern women wear whalebone corsets?

Never mind. Talk to Tony Geruino, who keeps his Barry Zito USC retro jersey in the closet, tags still attached.

"When I go to a ball game, I'll put on a jersey," he says. "But I never wear them out. It's like what Seinfeld said about wearing sweatpants outside. You're telling the world you've given up."

Why should anyone take Geruino's advice? Because he just might be the godfather of the throwback boom. The former editor of Slam Magazine, Geruino came up with the idea of dressing Allen Iverson during the 1998-99 lockout in an old-school Sixers jersey for the cover photo of a retro-themed issue.

One problem: throwbacks had yet to take off. Nobody made them, at least not in mass quantities. Geruino called Mitchell and Ness. The store only had one PHILA jersey. Slam could borrow the store's jersey, so long as it was returned within 72 hours.

Geruino agreed. The issue hit newsstands. The rest is history.

"We didn't say, 'Hey, this is going to be a big trend,'" Geruino says, laughing. "We were just looking for a creative way to save our jobs during the [NBA] lockout. But it wasn't long after that throwbacks started to take off."

Now an editorial director at Harris Magazines, Geruino still loves sports. But surveying the current fashion landscape -- a vast wasteland of Dave Winfield rookie jerseys and Larry Bird high school throwbacks -- he feels a little like atomic bomb father Robert Oppenheimer.

"It's sort of a can-you-top-this phenomenon," Geruino says. "Pretty soon, it will be LeBron James intramural, elementary school jerseys. At some point, it becomes too much and people look like assholes walking around in them.

"I see people with a Jerry West West Virginia jersey and I'm like, 'Do you even know who he is?'"
Old 12-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
In a perfect world, anyone attempting to purchase a retro jersey would have to pass a test, same as driver's license applicants. Want that Wes Unseld throwback? Answer the following:

(1) How many rebounds per game did Unseld average in his career?
(a) 14.0
(b) 9.7
(c) 8.5
(d) 6.8

(2) Unseld is one of two NBA players to win Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player honors in the same season. The other is:
(a) Wilt Chamberlain
(b) Alex English
(c) That "Pistol" guy who played for Atlanta
(d) Donovan McNabb. I saw his high school basketball jersey for sale, so he must be pretty good.

(3) Unseld's worst move as an NBA general manager was:
(a) Trading Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond
(b) Trading Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland
(c) Trading Ben Wallace for Fat Ike Austin
(d) All of the above
Riiiiiight. Because, as everyone knows, an individual's loyalty is equivalent to their trivia knowledge.

Frankly, I'll take ugly retro jerseys over snobbish fans anyday.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm glad to see that the isiah didn't protect the 2006 draft pick that they sent to chicago in the eddy curry trade... considering that the pick is probably gonna be top 3 and adam morrison is sitting out there...

Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #58
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Isiah Thomas - Executive of the Year cantidate
Old 12-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB