The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
So the season has officialy begun... at 5:20am eastern time in friggin Japan.

And if you had the Yankees and the over at 161 1/2... YOU LOST!

You can score 20 runs a game if you want... if your pitching gives up 21, you're not gonna win. Yankees have some serious issues... cough donovan osbourne as the #5 starter cough cough.

Mark Prior will be out until May with an achillies problem...

Rob Nenn and Jason Schmidt will start the season on the DL with shoulder problems...

Tough luck for Cubs and Giants fans...

As one of the few, the proud, the New York Yankees fans in Interland, I should be sad that my team lost. But when that loss comes at the hands (or should I say the bat) of Tino Martinez, a former Yankee who was one of the best players and teammates during their recent Championship years, I don't mind them losing.
HAPPY OPENING DAY, EVERYONE!!!
Diane
*who saw U2 play at Yankee Stadium 12 years ago*

when tino's homerun represented runs #7 & 8 in an 8 to 3 loss, i wouldn't quite consider the loss to be "at his hands," but eh :shrug: whatever...

more than the loss, if i were a yankee fan i'd be pissed about the advertisments for RICOH plastered all over the vaunted pinstripes. It looks horrific... even on the less vaunted Diamondbacks uniforms.

Might that be "Devil Rays"?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
It looks horrific... even on the less vaunted Diamondbacks uniforms.
Didn't see the game, where were the Diamondbacks? Were they in the stands watching, in full uniform no less?

zonelistener said:

Night one or two? :hyper:

It was on Saturday night.

And I can't believe the lack of love here for Tino Martinez! Poor Tino!!! Believe me, he had a tough task when he replaced Don Mattingly on the Yankees, but he eventually won over the fans with his play and his class.

Besides...he's my mom's favorite player. Now you understand why I like him?!?!?

no, he's a bum and was never any good. a product of the short porch in right field at yankee stadium

Nomah's done till at least May1.
Trot is possibly done for the year.
Bung Hole is out for a few months (That may be a blessing)
Instead of the Star Spangled Banner, on opening day at Fenway they will be playing the theme from M*A*S*H*.

Hopefully for the red Sox sake, they are getting the injury bug out early and will get healthy as the season progresses. It's a long season....but you don't want to get too far behind. One positive, they still have Peter, Schill and Lowe.

Hewson said:
Moreso than Drew Henson?

someone who played less than 2 months in pin stripes can't really be considered "over-rated." yankee fans hated henson because he was a bust... don mattingly was a God who could do no wrong, despite playing on some horrific teams and never winning a division title or a post-season series. in fact, the only time "donnie baseball" ever made the playoffs was in his final year as a wildcard team that lost to the mariners in that great 5 game series. ahhh the good ole days when griffey was actually good... :sigh:

if you're ever in a bar with a diehard yankees fan and you wanna get into an argument, simply state the following phrase...

"keith hernandez was better than don mattingly."

on to the injuries... watch the yankees and red sox both get the injury bug, and the highly under-rated toronto blue jays sneak past both of 'em... setting up a battle between "the two best teams in baseball" for the wildcard.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yea i'm not so high on baltimore... they should be able to score runs, but their pitching stinks.

Their pitching is unproven. Lots of youth that had an exceptional spring. Four new starters, three out of the farm system, one from a trade(actually a fleecing) with the Giants. Got Ponson back after giving him up for Ainsworth. We'll see if Javy can keep them going.

Clark W. Griswold said:

Their pitching is unproven. Lots of youth that had an exceptional spring. Four new starters, three out of the farm system, one from a trade(actually a fleecing) with the Giants. Got Ponson back after giving him up for Ainsworth. We'll see if Javy can keep them going.

i'll give ya that... i'll change my comment from "their pitching stinks" to "their pitching is unproven and likely to stink" :wink:

and i'd expect a drop off in production out of javy... interesting... javy lopez puts up numbers that he's never come close to before, in a contract year, and you don't hear people talking about him and steroids... :hmm:

there is no stopping the cardinals now that they have roger cedeno

Chizip said:
there is no stopping the cardinals now that they have roger cedeno

yea thanks for taking him off our hands like that... really i appreciate it

(preparing to eat my shoe after cedeno steals 60 bases this year... which would be par for the course with former mets...)

So the season reeeeally begins tonight... with the first game of the latest failed red sox season :wink:

now if you'll excuse me, i have to go bean roger clemmens in the head in MVP Baseball for PS2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom