The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2004, 11:30 PM   #121
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! That is too funny, Screaming. I can't even imaging the B-man singing Take Me Out.. lol

Old 05-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 PM

Quote:
He'll have some political statement to make too. Like "Free the Mongolian Sheep Herders."
omg. !!

what do you expect from an ohio state fan.

Old 05-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

what do you expect from cub fan?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #124
Blue Crack Distributor

i have video of when eddie vedder did it... he was ssssssssssssssssssssmashed.

any word on if this is gonna be true or not?

and on a side note... break up the metsies
Old 05-07-2004, 01:57 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Vedder is a long time Cubs fan, Bono may not even know what sport they play. Not sure they are too up on their American sports, though Edge's comparison of Brady and Bledsoe at the Superbowl 36 press conference was both insightful and hilarious.
I remember reports when the management at the old Boston Garden was wooing U2 to play there on the JT tour, they were brought to a Celtics game (when that was an event), and got to shoot baskets after the game. A sportswriter who witnessed it had a couple of funny comments...one was that one of the younger writers came into the locker room to tell the others "Bono is shooting baskets", and some of the older writers were like "Who? Sonny Bono"....the other thing was the description of the lack of basketball skills the boys displayed. Wish I remembered how it was worded, but they were apparently not good.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #126
Blue Crack Distributor

well we did see him dribbling on the heart durring the boston show that was played durring the half time show of the nba finals that year... not a pretty sight. i talked to my basketball coach at the time about it the next day... he said bono runs like a fary
Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

It's just a rumour, folks. Take it for what it's worth. I read it on the Cubs' ESPN board. A lot of B.S. is written on those boards.
yeah, like that the cubs are good
Old 05-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor

zing!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:11 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:59 PM
It's closer to the truth than "the Cards are good" though!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #130
Blue Crack Distributor

speaking of cub fans...
Quote:
CHICAGO -- A 26-year-old man was gunned down in the street near Wrigley Field after watching the Cubs play on Thursday.

Frank Hernandez was shot about 90 minutes after the Cubs beat the Diamondbacks 11-3.

Authorities say the incident started when Hernandez was cut off by two men in a SUV as he was crossing an intersection near Wrigley at about 6 p.m.

Police say Hernandez hit the SUV with a miniature baseball bat and then broke the souvenir over the driver's head when the driver got out of the vehicle. Police say that's when the SUV's passenger got out and shot Hernandez in the upper abdomen.

Hernandez collapsed on the sidewalk. Paramedics performed CPR, but Hernandez was later pronounced dead at Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

"He went to the Cubs game, and he was just waiting, got out and right there he got shot," a friend of the Hernandez family told the Chicago Sun-Times as he sat crying outside the hospital emergency room. "He told me, 'I'm gonna see the Cubs today. I'll go and see my buddies.'"

According to the Sun-Times, two Chicago police officers who were parked in a squad car half a block away saw the fight break out and were watching in their rear-view mirror as Hernandez was shot.

Witnesses told the newspaper that police took several men into custody almost immediately.

Hernandez had attended the game with best friend Brad Wallace Jr.

"From what I've heard, they were crossing the street," Margaret Wallace, Brad's mother, told the Sun-Times. "There was a fight behind them. My son got to the curb and turned around. He heard two pops and went to talk to Frankie, and he was on the ground."

Chicago police sergeant Robert Cargie says two men remain in custody in connection with the shooting but no charges have been filed.

and on an unrelated note... the texas rangers finally gave in. The Ballpark in Arlington has been renamed Ameritech Field.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

OK...here's my problem with that story...
"two Chicago police officers...saw the fight break out and were watching in their rear-view mirror as Hernandez was shot"

So what they were just watching the fight and didn't plan to do anything until someone gets shot? When they saw a fight break out they should have been out of the car and moving to break it up immediately. Would it have prevented the shooting? Who knows...if the passenger sees 2 cops approaching he might think twice about pulling a gun.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

it's so incredibly sad. and so scary.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:59 PM
I still feel safer in Wrigleyville than near "comiskey" (I refuse to call it Cell one).
Old 05-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #134
Blue Crack Distributor

here's an interesting scenario for those of us out there who enjoy awkward and potentialy hostile situations...

mike piazza, who's been the national league cather durring the all star game every single year he's been healthy since his rookie season, gets voted in by the fans to start in the all star game... which is likely to happen given that the all star voting is nothing more than a popularity contest and piazza's the most well known catcher, no pun intended...

roger clemens is still undefeated... he continues to pitch well, leading to him being selected as the national league starting pitcher...

and your battery for the all star game... in houston... roger clemens throwing to mike piazza. who needs spiderman
Old 05-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
and as for the Wankee fans, or as i prefer to call them... WankMe fans...

for fans of the yankees with no connection to the new york metro area at all? i agree with ya... for the yuppy soho/tribeca/chelsea fair-weather fans who rooted for the mets in the 80s? i agree with ya... for the fans who have been yankee fans their entire life, who's fathers were yankee fans, who's grandfathers were yankee fans... i'd have to strongly disagree with ya.
Thanks, Headache.

My parents are both Yankees fans, and I grew up watching the games with them. That's where I got my love of the Yankees. So I am no bandwagon jumper, and I'm so glad that I got to experience their recent winning seasons.