The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vedder is a long time Cubs fan, Bono may not even know what sport they play.:ohmy: Not sure they are too up on their American sports, though Edge's comparison of Brady and Bledsoe at the Superbowl 36 press conference was both insightful and hilarious.
I remember reports when the management at the old Boston Garden was wooing U2 to play there on the JT tour, they were brought to a Celtics game (when that was an event), and got to shoot baskets after the game. A sportswriter who witnessed it had a couple of funny comments...one was that one of the younger writers came into the locker room to tell the others "Bono is shooting baskets", and some of the older writers were like "Who? Sonny Bono"....the other thing was the description of the lack of basketball skills the boys displayed. Wish I remembered how it was worded, but they were apparently not good.

pub crawler said:

:lol: It's just a rumour, folks. Take it for what it's worth. I read it on the Cubs' ESPN board. A lot of B.S. is written on those boards.

yeah, like that the cubs are good

speaking of cub fans...
CHICAGO -- A 26-year-old man was gunned down in the street near Wrigley Field after watching the Cubs play on Thursday.

Frank Hernandez was shot about 90 minutes after the Cubs beat the Diamondbacks 11-3.

Authorities say the incident started when Hernandez was cut off by two men in a SUV as he was crossing an intersection near Wrigley at about 6 p.m.

Police say Hernandez hit the SUV with a miniature baseball bat and then broke the souvenir over the driver's head when the driver got out of the vehicle. Police say that's when the SUV's passenger got out and shot Hernandez in the upper abdomen.

Hernandez collapsed on the sidewalk. Paramedics performed CPR, but Hernandez was later pronounced dead at Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

"He went to the Cubs game, and he was just waiting, got out and right there he got shot," a friend of the Hernandez family told the Chicago Sun-Times as he sat crying outside the hospital emergency room. "He told me, 'I'm gonna see the Cubs today. I'll go and see my buddies.'"

According to the Sun-Times, two Chicago police officers who were parked in a squad car half a block away saw the fight break out and were watching in their rear-view mirror as Hernandez was shot.

Witnesses told the newspaper that police took several men into custody almost immediately.

Hernandez had attended the game with best friend Brad Wallace Jr.

"From what I've heard, they were crossing the street," Margaret Wallace, Brad's mother, told the Sun-Times. "There was a fight behind them. My son got to the curb and turned around. He heard two pops and went to talk to Frankie, and he was on the ground."

Chicago police sergeant Robert Cargie says two men remain in custody in connection with the shooting but no charges have been filed.

and on an unrelated note... the texas rangers finally gave in. The Ballpark in Arlington has been renamed Ameritech Field.

OK...here's my problem with that story...
"two Chicago police officers...saw the fight break out and were watching in their rear-view mirror as Hernandez was shot"

So what they were just watching the fight and didn't plan to do anything until someone gets shot? When they saw a fight break out they should have been out of the car and moving to break it up immediately. Would it have prevented the shooting? Who knows...if the passenger sees 2 cops approaching he might think twice about pulling a gun.

here's an interesting scenario for those of us out there who enjoy awkward and potentialy hostile situations...

mike piazza, who's been the national league cather durring the all star game every single year he's been healthy since his rookie season, gets voted in by the fans to start in the all star game... which is likely to happen given that the all star voting is nothing more than a popularity contest and piazza's the most well known catcher, no pun intended...

roger clemens is still undefeated... he continues to pitch well, leading to him being selected as the national league starting pitcher...

and your battery for the all star game... in houston... roger clemens throwing to mike piazza. who needs spiderman

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and as for the Wankee fans, or as i prefer to call them... WankMe fans...

for fans of the yankees with no connection to the new york metro area at all? i agree with ya... for the yuppy soho/tribeca/chelsea fair-weather fans who rooted for the mets in the 80s? i agree with ya... for the fans who have been yankee fans their entire life, who's fathers were yankee fans, who's grandfathers were yankee fans... i'd have to strongly disagree with ya.

Thanks, Headache.

My parents are both Yankees fans, and I grew up watching the games with them. That's where I got my love of the Yankees. So I am no bandwagon jumper, and I'm so glad that I got to experience their recent winning seasons.

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Add Darin Erstad to the growing list of injured Anaheim Angels.

The AL West leaders lost the third key member of their lineup Friday night when Erstad strained his right hamstring trying to score a run in the third inning of the Angels' 7-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

"It looks pretty bad," manager Mike Scioscia said. "We're going to see how it responds, but right now it looks like he'll go on the disabled list. When Ersty goes down like that, you know it's something serious. He's such a gamer, it breaks your heart to see something like that."

Center fielder Garret Anderson is out with a back problem, and designated hitter Tim Salmon isn't expected to return for at least another 10 days because of a sore knee. Now first baseman Erstad is expected to be out indefinitely.

:|

Last edited:
Diane L said:

Thanks, Headache.

My parents are both Yankees fans, and I grew up watching the games with them. That's where I got my love of the Yankees. So I am no bandwagon jumper, and I'm so glad that I got to experience their recent winning seasons.

i respect friends of mine who i grew up in the 80s who are yankee fans... ya have to... how soon we all forget that from the mid 80s till the early 90s, the yankees friggin blew. that's why they hold don mattingly in such high regard... he was the only spankme who was any good :wink:

of course i root for all the teams that were good when i was growing up... the mets, the giants, the islanders, the knicks... well... the knicks sucked, but who the hell's gonna root for the nets? come on now

all of the teams i root for one a combined 7 championships in the first 10 years of my life... they haven't won one since. go figure. shows i really know how to pick 'em

Another lovely day in halo-land.. :huh:

GAME DAY RECAP Sunday, May 09
Anaheim's Guillen sprains knee, ankle

"...The cart was brought out again for Jose Guillen, who homered in the fifth and was injured sliding into second base with a double in the seventh.

Guillen sprained his right knee and ankle, and if he lands on the DL then the Angels would be missing four of their eight regular starters when they play in New York on Tuesday...."

:crack:

Pokey Reese is the best name in MLB 2004, hands down

It still makes me giggle :wink:

He had an inside the park home run and a standard one in one game over the weekend

i'm a fan of mookie wilson myself... what do you think of mooke, hewson? you a fan of his, too? :wink:

mookieball4.JPG

Last edited:
Damon happy to be in a shave situation
By Michael O'Connor
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Johnny Damon's loss will be Boston schoolkids' gain.

He won't be succumbing to a full Samson - chopping hair and beard - but next week Damon will get a full-face shave, courtesy of Gillette. In turn, the South Boston razor giant will convert Damon's shorn whiskers into a $15,000 donation to the children's reading and tutoring programs of the Boston Public Library system.

``Gillette's pitching in and we're going to help out Boston's public libraries,'' Damon said before last night's 5-3 win over the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park. ``It's all going for a great cause.''

As in going, going, gone.

But only the beard, Damon stressed. At least for now.

``I don't think the hair's going anywhere,'' he was quick to respond when asked if he was going to get a haircut along with the shave. ``The beard's going to go for a while, but the beard can grow back.

``But the hair,'' Damon said, mock seriously, ``that's something else. I'd be afraid to cut the hair. I'm afraid it wouldn't grow back.''

The shaggy center fielder, whose long, dark tresses and thick beard have seen him compared to cultural figures ranging from the divine (Jesus Christ) to the ridiculous (Wolfman), arrived at spring training with hair that hadn't seen scissors in a year.

It caused quite a sensation among Red Sox [stats, schedule] Nation. Damon, who went 0-for-5 last night to see his batting average dip to .272, said he was surprised by the reaction.

``I had no clue about the hair,'' he recalled. ``I'm just trying to live my life.''

Damon finally endured a slight trim last month, but he still has enough flowing locks to outfit most of his short-haired teammates.

Noting that Mayor Thomas M. Menino instituted the BPL youth literacy program a decade ago, Damon said he was more than happy to make a small sacrifice to continue that effort.

The designated date for the shave: Friday, May 21. The as-yet-undesignated place: ``Probably somewhere on Newbury Street,'' Damon announced.

And with hot, humid weather quickly approaching in the Hub, a smooth, clean face might be a bit more comfortable, Damon said.

``It's coming at a good time. Summer is approaching,'' acknowledged Damon, whose shaggy look hasn't slowed him down on the basepaths (he leads the Sox with five steals).

``I don't want to get cramps out in the field and die of the heat,'' he added jokingly, ``so Gillette is going to help take care of it.''

Besides, Damon noted, the facial hair's ``starting to get a little sloppy. You start drinking a lot of water and half of it stays in the beard. Now that doesn't taste so good.'' :barf:

Damon also told his diehard fans not to start tearing out their own hair over his decision to shave. In effect, they're not losing a bearded wonder, they're gaining a pink-cheeked champion.

And the outfielder intends to remain shaggy-headed.

``For the Damon Disciples, don't worry, I'll be back,'' he said. ``And the hair? Never say never, but the hair's staying.''

Yankees fans:coocoo: A long time ago, people use to say cheering for the Yankees was like rooting for U.S. Steel. IMHO it is the Evil Empire. If I did not respect and love baseball history I would stand in the Bronx and say" Mr. Steinbrenner, tear down this stadium." However, I have absorbed baseball history and could never say that. A dream of mine is to go see the memorials there.:drool: But when it comes to the here and now, the Yankees are the recipients of all my loathing. Go Rangers!!!

Back
Top Bottom