The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYOAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR

damon.jpg
chewbacca.jpg

Which halos will NOT play in their opener tomorrow, you ask?

Oh, just Jose Guillen, their hottest hitter all Spring. :| He's got a deep bruise on his hand, courtesy of Jeff Weaver Friday night....

AND Brenden Donnelly, the Angels' primary set-up man in the 'pen. His nose was broken in 20 places a few weeks ago while shagging balls during a Spring warmup. :| ....

AND, just for good measure, Benjie Molina, their gold glove catcher. :|

Injuries. :mad: F'in injuries.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Federal authorities probing an alleged steroid distribution ring have seized the results and samples of drug tests on selected major league baseball players from a drug-testing lab, a spokesman for the lab said Friday.

Internal Revenue Service agents served a search warrant to obtain "documentation and specimens" from a Quest Diagnostics lab in Las Vegas, Quest spokesman Gary Samuels said.

Samuels could not say whether IRS agents took the drug-test results or specimen of Barry Bonds, but said the agents took materials consistent with a federal subpoena that had sought test results and specimens from the San Francisco Giants' slugger and fewer than a dozen other players. Among them were New York Yankees Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi.

"We've been cooperating fully and completely with the government throughout the criminal investigation," Samuels told ESPN Radio's GameNight. "When we were finally presented with the numbers that we needed to identify the documents and specimens, we gave them to the federal agent."

Lab employees, however, could not identify the specimens taken.

"The specimens are collected ... they're coded by a third party administrator and they arrive at the laboratory anonymously ... so the people in the testing facility, our laboratory, do not know any names," Samuels told GameNight.

The raid occurred Thursday, shortly after the Major League Baseball Players Association filed a motion in a San Francisco court seeking to squash that subpoena.

IRS spokesman Mark Lessler and U.S. Attorney's spokeswoman Ji-Yon Yi both said Friday they could not comment.

Samuels said the IRS agents served the search warrant on the Quest lab after obtaining a coded list from California-based Comprehensive Drug Testing that matched players to the results and the samples.

Teterboro, N.J.-based Quest and Long Beach, Calif.-based Comprehensive Drug Testing did the tests last year for Major League Baseball, which was trying to determine the prevalence of steroid use among players. When more than 5 percent of those tests came back positive, the major leagues began a new testing program this season that includes punishments for those caught using steroids.

The tests were supposed to remain anonymous. But a federal grand jury in San Francisco that issued indictments in February against four men for allegedly distributing steroids to professional athletes sought the results as part of its probe.

One of those indicted Feb. 12 was Greg Anderson, the personal trainer for Bonds -- who, along with Sheffield, Giambi and dozens of other pro athletes, testified before the grand jury.

The grand jury's probe focuses on the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative and has led to charges against four men: BALCO founder Victor Conte, BALCO vice president James Valente, track coach Remi Korchemny and Anderson. All have pleaded not guilty and are free on bail.

Bonds, Sheffield and Giambi have not been charged in the case and repeatedly have denied using steroids.

Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president for labor relations, said Monday that approximately 500 urine samples remain from last year's drug tests. He could not say if samples for Bonds, Sheffield, Giambi and the other players named in the subpoena are among that batch.

Two samples were taken from each of the more than 1,400 major league players last season. Most were destroyed, but about 500 were saved when the grand jury issued its subpoena.

Since two tests were taken on each player, the surviving tests could have come from as few as 250 players or as many as 500.

Well the Angels began the season by pounding Seattle's pitching and looking scary in sweeping them, only to spend the last 2 days having their asses handed to them by the Rangers (who's lineup looks pretty damn imposing in its own right). But that's what makes this game interesting. Hope the halos rebound today. :crack:

Peter Gammons, in yesterday's (Apr. 19) baseball chat, said he wonders if some of the Angels' pitchers have taken roids. I find this curious (as do other halo fans on the boards) because, for the life of me, I cannot think of a single Angel pitcher on their major league roster that looks significantly different in size this year as opposed to the last 1-3 years (or any other year, for that matter).

The U.S. Olympic Committee barred Derrick Turnbow from Olympic competition this year because he took "performance enhancing" substances, but these were substances that you could buy at any GNC over the counter, substances that MLB does not deem illegal. In any event, he's not even on the halos' major league roster.

Some Angel fans are thinking that Gammons must be implying that certain halo pitchers have gotten smaller, but nobody can figure out who he might be referring to.

I mean...
Scott Shields is the twig he's always been, as is Ramon Ortiz.

K-Rod appears to be the about same size he's been for the 2 years he's been in the majors. (Hard to tell, really. He could have put on 5 pounds, I dunno).

Percy hasn't changed a bit in all his years of baseball.

Seriously, I'd love to hear Gammons name names, because otherwise his accusations seem ridiculous.

It's also interesting to note that Gammons says "I have a problem accusing anyone without proof," just after he makes an accusation against the halo staff, apparently without anything to back it up except his opinion.

------------------------------------------
Tim Boston, Ma: Mr. Gammons, am I correct to assume after listening to you on WEEI on last Thursday that you think some of the pitchers on the Angels staff have taken steroids? If not, could you clarify your comments.

Peter Gammons: To start with, the percentage of pitchers who have used some enhancement is as great as hitters, I think. Ramon Ortiz you can be sure he hasn't. But about one-third of the staff is very different from last year. I have a problem accusing anyone without proof. That is one of the problems with the media right now. It's easy sitting in a radio studio or writing a story. You don't want to see someone ruined who might be innocent.
---------------------------------------------

:scratch:

Last edited:
steroids don't neccesarily make your head blow up like a beach ball... steroids don't neccesarily make your muscles appear gigantic... if your head blows up like a beach ball, it does not neccesarily mean you are on steroids, 'cause there are thousands of legal suppliments with "steroid like effects" out there...

all these people... wether it's rick reilly, jack mcdowell, andy van slyke or peter gammons... need to shut the F'ing hell up until they have scientific proof regarding who is and who isn't on steroids. there are hundreds of different types of steroids that all do different things... and there are hundreds of different supliments that are not banned by major league baseball that do similar things when taken properly... no one knows, and as long as no one knows, this witch hunt is just gonna get worse and worse and innocent ballplayers will have their names and reputation torn down right next to the guilty ones.

stop fighting the players, start fighting the rules and the system so that it gets changed and we know once and for all who is in fact doing what.

bahhh...

It's the top of the 3rd at Anaheim, the halos are playing the Rangers, and after having given it considerable thought I have come to the following conclusion:

Ramon Ortiz sucks ass. :|

Yet AGAIN he gets tagged hard in the early innings, down 4-1 before mercifully (for the fans) getting yanked. Some people think he's too emotional -- a head case -- and I'm starting to think maybe it's true. Hell, I don't know.
:scream:

:mad: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck :mad:

Headcase.....

You would have been proud of me...I got as far as the checkout counter with a Mets cap the other day (I was in the area for a wedding). That would mean my Mets cap collection would outnumber my Yankee cap collection 2-1 (due to the car break in last summer). I wimped out though.

It was a sweet hat though...and I may have to send my dad to pick it up! :up:

The wedding I went to...the Groom is a lifelong Met fan, and of course it came up during the Best Man's Toast....he was showing the crowd how loyal of a man he was! :D

Back
Top Bottom