The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i still have a problem understanding how a fan of a team who hasn't won a world series in 80+ years, most of the time losing to the yankees, can be so over confident and cocky about playing a team that's beaten the life out of your team over and over again for 80 years. i hope someone can explain that to me without using the phrase "yankees suck"

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i still have a problem understanding how a fan of a team who hasn't won a world series in 80+ years, most of the time losing to the yankees, can be so over confident and cocky about playing a team that's beaten the life out of your team over and over again for 80 years. i hope someone can explain that to me without using the phrase "yankees suck"

without the phrase "yankees suck", eh?

ok then.

because the yankees fucking blow.

quite simple.

as a team, the yankees in the regular season had an ERA of 4.69. Practically giving up 5 runs a game. the pitcher with the best ERA (starting pitcher that qualified for an ERA title meaning they had to be healthy and starting all year) was jon lieber at 4.33. 4.33! and that's your most consistant starter for the year.

tom gordon and mariano rivera IS the bullpen for the yankees. any game where the starter is knocked out in the early innings of the game for whatever reason, and the game is over, the yankees are going to lose. see st louis game 2 nlds, marquis didnt get out of the 4th, yet they didn't yield another run. why? because they have a good, solid bullpen.

their hitting is good, sure. jeter's a great player, overrated yea but still great. matsui, sheffield, posada are also very very good. arod was pitiful with runners in scoring position this year, hitting around .230 in that situation i believe.

check out the RECENT yankee teams that have made it to the world series or won it.

1998: team ERA: 3.82
1999: team ERA: 4.13
2000: team ERA: 4.76, but they did have a dominant starter in Clemens
2001: team ERA: 4.02, would have won but the "best postseason reliever ever" blew game 7
2003: team ERA: 4.02

comparitivly in 2004, the red sox had a team Era of 4.18 and have two dominating starters in schilling and pedro. i dont care what you say about pedro, the man can dominate a game. he had a poor last 4 starts, but was good against anaheim to win game 2. the yankees have NOBODY to match up against schilling or pedro in the playoffs. nobody.

plus their lineup aint too shabby either with damon, manny, varitek, millar, mueller and that guy who won game 3 for them... i forget his name, but i think he's supposed to be pretty good.

but...

YANKEES-SUCK-sticker.jpg

StlElevation said:

plus their lineup aint too shabby either with damon, manny, varitek, millar, mueller and that guy who won game 3 for them... i forget his name, but i think he's supposed to be pretty good.

Manny Ortez.

now if only the astros can not choke in the first round as normal so they can finally advance and whoop up on the cardinals... :wink:
The Cardinals ticket to the World Series (and a loss in 6 games) has been punced. If the 'Stros should win tonight, they have used Rocket and Oswalt on 3 dys rest to get past the Bravos, and will be either have to pitch Backe and Munro in games 1 & 2 or go with Backe in 1 and Clemens on 3 days rest for 2nd consecutive start in game 2...for a 78 yr old pitcher thats no good (Plus Roger will want to skip the road trip to St Louis as he has been allowed all season to watch one of his sons,Koby, Kory, Kyle or Krypton, bake Kookies).
If Oswalt falters (and I think he will), the Braves will be no match for the Cards.

Last edited:
i agree

now i just hope the yankees dominance over the red sox continue, i do not want to face them in the ws

Back
Top Bottom