The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #136
Refugee

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Go Braves!

Old 05-09-2004, 03:13 AM   #137
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:09 PM
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Add Darin Erstad to the growing list of injured Anaheim Angels.

The AL West leaders lost the third key member of their lineup Friday night when Erstad strained his right hamstring trying to score a run in the third inning of the Angels' 7-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

"It looks pretty bad," manager Mike Scioscia said. "We're going to see how it responds, but right now it looks like he'll go on the disabled list. When Ersty goes down like that, you know it's something serious. He's such a gamer, it breaks your heart to see something like that."

Center fielder Garret Anderson is out with a back problem, and designated hitter Tim Salmon isn't expected to return for at least another 10 days because of a sore knee. Now first baseman Erstad is expected to be out indefinitely.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L

Thanks, Headache.

My parents are both Yankees fans, and I grew up watching the games with them. That's where I got my love of the Yankees. So I am no bandwagon jumper, and I'm so glad that I got to experience their recent winning seasons.
i respect friends of mine who i grew up in the 80s who are yankee fans... ya have to... how soon we all forget that from the mid 80s till the early 90s, the yankees friggin blew. that's why they hold don mattingly in such high regard... he was the only spankme who was any good

of course i root for all the teams that were good when i was growing up... the mets, the giants, the islanders, the knicks... well... the knicks sucked, but who the hell's gonna root for the nets? come on now

all of the teams i root for one a combined 7 championships in the first 10 years of my life... they haven't won one since. go figure. shows i really know how to pick 'em
Old 05-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #139
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Another lovely day in halo-land..

GAME DAY RECAP Sunday, May 09
Anaheim's Guillen sprains knee, ankle

"...The cart was brought out again for Jose Guillen, who homered in the fifth and was injured sliding into second base with a double in the seventh.

Guillen sprained his right knee and ankle, and if he lands on the DL then the Angels would be missing four of their eight regular starters when they play in New York on Tuesday...."

Old 05-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Pokey Reese is the best name in MLB 2004, hands down

It still makes me giggle

He had an inside the park home run and a standard one in one game over the weekend
Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

He moves pretty fast for a guy named Pokey.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

no, coco crisp and stubby clapp were better names
Old 05-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

The best all time were the Dean brothers...Dizzy and Daffy.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #144
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm a fan of mookie wilson myself... what do you think of mooke, hewson? you a fan of his, too?

Old 05-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Mookie Blaylock was cool...Mookie Wilson, (Eric Cartman voice)I'd like to kick him in the nuts.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

You'll be happy to know headache that Johnny Damon is shaving his beard..he's still not cutting his hair though
Old 05-12-2004, 02:21 PM   #147
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:09 AM
awww... no more Chewbacca jokes
Old 05-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

You'll be happy to know headache that Johnny Damon is shaving his beard..he's still not cutting his hair though
well it's about damn time
Old 05-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Damon happy to be in a shave situation
By Michael O'Connor
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Johnny Damon's loss will be Boston schoolkids' gain.

He won't be succumbing to a full Samson - chopping hair and beard - but next week Damon will get a full-face shave, courtesy of Gillette. In turn, the South Boston razor giant will convert Damon's shorn whiskers into a $15,000 donation to the children's reading and tutoring programs of the Boston Public Library system.

``Gillette's pitching in and we're going to help out Boston's public libraries,'' Damon said before last night's 5-3 win over the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park. ``It's all going for a great cause.''

As in going, going, gone.

But only the beard, Damon stressed. At least for now.

``I don't think the hair's going anywhere,'' he was quick to respond when asked if he was going to get a haircut along with the shave. ``The beard's going to go for a while, but the beard can grow back.

``But the hair,'' Damon said, mock seriously, ``that's something else. I'd be afraid to cut the hair. I'm afraid it wouldn't grow back.''

The shaggy center fielder, whose long, dark tresses and thick beard have seen him compared to cultural figures ranging from the divine (Jesus Christ) to the ridiculous (Wolfman), arrived at spring training with hair that hadn't seen scissors in a year.

It caused quite a sensation among Red Sox [stats, schedule] Nation. Damon, who went 0-for-5 last night to see his batting average dip to .272, said he was surprised by the reaction.

``I had no clue about the hair,'' he recalled. ``I'm just trying to live my life.''

Damon finally endured a slight trim last month, but he still has enough flowing locks to outfit most of his short-haired teammates.

Noting that Mayor Thomas M. Menino instituted the BPL youth literacy program a decade ago, Damon said he was more than happy to make a small sacrifice to continue that effort.

The designated date for the shave: Friday, May 21. The as-yet-undesignated place: ``Probably somewhere on Newbury Street,'' Damon announced.

And with hot, humid weather quickly approaching in the Hub, a smooth, clean face might be a bit more comfortable, Damon said.

``It's coming at a good time. Summer is approaching,'' acknowledged Damon, whose shaggy look hasn't slowed him down on the basepaths (he leads the Sox with five steals).

``I don't want to get cramps out in the field and die of the heat,'' he added jokingly, ``so Gillette is going to help take care of it.''

Besides, Damon noted, the facial hair's ``starting to get a little sloppy. You start drinking a lot of water and half of it stays in the beard. Now that doesn't taste so good.''

Damon also told his diehard fans not to start tearing out their own hair over his decision to shave. In effect, they're not losing a bearded wonder, they're gaining a pink-cheeked champion.

And the outfielder intends to remain shaggy-headed.

``For the Damon Disciples, don't worry, I'll be back,'' he said. ``And the hair? Never say never, but the hair's staying.''
Old 05-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #150
Acrobat

Yankees fans A long time ago, people use to say cheering for the Yankees was like rooting for U.S. Steel. IMHO it is the Evil Empire. If I did not respect and love baseball history I would stand in the Bronx and say" Mr. Steinbrenner, tear down this stadium." However, I have absorbed baseball history and could never say that. A dream of mine is to go see the memorials there. But when it comes to the here and now, the Yankees are the recipients of all my loathing. Go Rangers!!!