The Official Interference World Cup Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
knox said:
Does anyone know of any websites where I can watch the World Cup over the 'net?

Found this info elsewhere on the net:

http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/TVUPlayer.zip

install and dubbelclick on the channel that you want to see.

Some more info: this program was (illegally) developed in China, because the goverment there doesn't allow western, imperialistic TV. It's basically a peer to peer netwerk for life TV (PtP-IP-TV).

yertle-the-turtle said:
It's hilarious how ra-ra the England fans get immediately before any tournament ('football's coming home' etc. etc.) and then when they inevitably crash out they start whinging with all sorts of excuses.

Yeah, the Beeb commentators are like that too but at least a lot of the print media (Guardian, Independent, etc) tell it like it is and say "We really did suck out there" or something to that effect, lol

VertigoGal said:
well...it's not looking too hot for the americans.

:p

It was a pretty sad showing for sure. I love how all the american annoucers hype the US team so. I mean they have potential, but nothing near what it would take to do anything. I think its going to be tough just to get out of the group.

Not so sure bout this expression : 'dark horse' is it good or a bad thing ?

Anyway about Czech should've from the favorites they got the best start ........ so far :wink:

If America's strategy was to get the ball close to the net, and for no apparent reason kick it RIGHT AT THE CZECH DEFENDER, then this was an A+ game!

U2IrishOne said:
It was a pretty sad showing for sure. I love how all the american annoucers hype the US team so. I mean they have potential, but nothing near what it would take to do anything. I think its going to be tough just to get out of the group.

Agreed. It seems like the American media, along with members of the U.S. team, are trying too hard to convince people that the team has a legitimate shot to do well. Makes me wonder who they're trying to convince...

Or maybe they are just trying to get the people's attention , and who know , more north-americans fans of football.

HeartlandGirl said:

Makes me wonder who they're trying to convince...

Most likely they're just trying to convince the American public in general that they should give a shit. At least enough to watch. Interest in it isn't exactly at the same level as in most of the other countries in the world.

Well that's my theory anyway. :p

J_NP said:
Not so sure bout this expression : 'dark horse' is it good or a bad thing ?

Anyway about Czech should've from the favorites they got the best start ........ so far :wink:

A 'dark horse' is a person or team in a competition who people know are a good side, but they aren't considered a favourite to win, but there is always the possibility that they could string a couple of really amazing performances together and just sneak the cup from everyone else.

VertigoGal said:

Most likely they're just trying to convince the American public in general that they should give a shit. At least enough to watch. Interest in it isn't exactly at the same level as in most of the other countries in the world.

Well that's my theory anyway. :p

It's possible, but I figured they'd have given up by now. :wink: They've definitely tried that in years past. Most of what I've watched hasn't really even mentioned the fact that most Americans are not huge soccer fans. I guess they figure if you're watching their show already, you don't need to be convinced.

Ah well. I hope team U.S.A. can get it together and do better next time.

anitram said:

For sure.

The Italians are similarly bad. Weren't they the ones complaining about how their poorly stitched socks kept them from advancing in the last WC? I remember it was something utterly ridiculous.

bad descisions and poor refree's also played a part.

first of all GO AUSTRALIA 3 Goals in the last few minutes is amzing, Japan shouldent have gotten 1 that was a blatent push on Schwartzer and that blind maggot umpie didnt see, i just saw the news Australians went absolutely psycho at the news we won a pool game,imagine if we win the cup!

LJT said:

A 'dark horse' is a person or team in a competition who people know are a good side, but they aren't considered a favourite to win, but there is always the possibility that they could string a couple of really amazing performances together and just sneak the cup from everyone else.

Thanks a lot mate ;)

Yeah Czech together with Portugal and Holland I would say.

J_NP said:
Dude just one thing 1st - I'm not japanese for that matter 2nd - I made out my opinions , dont take this personal , like I said I respected all australians here , but I couldnt be shut up about the attitude of this australian team , it's true they didnt do it the whole game , but the 1st half and specially that game against Holland they made clear their speciality . And for the record I'm not pointing out nothing againsta anything of Australia , its just I dont like this thing of players going for the leg instead of the ball . Thats not football . 3rd - This referee Essam Abd El Fatah :|

The Croats will kick back, and beat them. This is not good for anyone interested in watching skillful play. Bunch of hacks.

toscano said:

The Croats will kick back, and beat them. This is not good for anyone interested in watching skillful play. Bunch of hacks.

I saw the Australia-Japan game just now. Australians play like animals, honestly. What an ugly way to play - and the referee was completely useless.

ETA: Normally I don't like Italian style play but they were good today. Kept attacking even in the end. Ghana is solid, though. Definitely way better than Angola.

Ivory Coast is clearly the class of the African field.

Last edited:
Yeah it's true though spain I would say it's like , its something u cant really trust , coz it is a great team , but when u think they got it , they just disappoint u ............ besides their 98 and 2002 team was better , plus this year Morientes is out , and they arent with their GK

About Ukraine , if they got one more Schev , I would say so..... but this way not so sure....

toscano said:

yeah Australia must be a team of hacks, thats why EPL clubs ply Viduka, Kewell, Schwartzer and others millions to play for them

HeartlandGirl said:

It seems like the American media, along with members of the U.S. team, are trying too hard to convince people that the team has a legitimate shot to do well. Makes me wonder who they're trying to convince...

Yeah, really! The hype was getting on my nerves. Over the weekend, they probably announced the US game like 76754675 times. Granted, it was to get the attention of the generally disinterested public but it was still annoying. Couldn't watch the match cos I was at work but I did see the highlights on the website. Poor Reyna almost got a really good shot on goal. But the speed and accuracy of the Czechs was unfuckinbelievable! When did these guys become world #2? Because I don't remember them even being on the map last time.

zepher25 said:

yeah Australia must be a team of hacks, thats why EPL clubs ply Viduka, Kewell, Schwartzer and others millions to play for them

They have little depth compared to the elite teams, and the tactis they are employing is making them look like a bunch of Sunday morning amateurs, they are anti-skill and I hope they get knocked out early if this is thei rlong term plan.

Since they were already working on this approach during their last friendly by all accounts, they will not be missed by the neutral viewer, or the biased viewer wanting to see skilled players at the top of their game

Where have we been ? guarding our shins

Czech game was sooooo funny, I watched it in a toy store and I enjoyed it so much, almost like I enjoyed the game of Mexico

that australia game was great. If half those fouls wern't dives from the japanese i don't know what were. We won 3 - 1 and thats all that matters though. We were no where near as rough or violent as some of you are making out. I dont get why the majority of european fan think we don't deserve to be there we have a decent team and although we do lack depth we're not hacks by any measure the boys really dug deep today and got the result and its great for football in australia

toscano said:

They have little depth compared to the elite teams, and the tactis they are employing is making them look like a bunch of Sunday morning amateurs, they are anti-skill and I hope they get knocked out early if this is thei rlong term plan.

Since they were already working on this approach during their last friendly by all accounts, they will not be missed by the neutral viewer, or the biased viewer wanting to see skilled players at the top of their game

Where have we been ? guarding our shins

Oh, yes. Clearly and obviously orchestrated. :rolleyes: Back in the Frank Farina days, he had shit fits with the overseas league clubs as our players were under contractual restraints which prevented us from ever learning how to play as a good strong team on skill as our players couldn't get back here to train. With the Dutch friendly, I suspect that it was a great deal of unrestrained push which resulted in us going too strong and not focusing enough on natural talent. You don't all sit here and pick us as thugs when we're playing in our league games, so back off with the quick fire criticisms and retorting that this is lame justification. If we dont play like this in league games, then if we do now, ask why. I'm not criticising the league managers. That's where the money is. It's the bread and butter for our guys, particularly. I suppose it's the same for others, too. With a competition like this, it's a different kettle of fish and our team is how they are due to not having the best manager til now, and geography and contractual restraints not allowing us to train like many others.

Did we play dirty? Yep. I reckon we probably did.
Did the Japanese take too many dives? Yep, I reckon they probably did.
What was the biggest reason we played like this? Politics. We've got fantstic skill in our players. We just aren't a very good team.

Sorry, turtle, btw. I hope you weren't offended. :(

Nah. It was an even game, your lot took your chances and we didn't.

Besides, most of the challenges were fair anyway, and those that weren't (from both sides) were duly punished. The only one that I honestly didn't like was Cahill's horrendous two-footer. And as I said before, Naka's goal was good; Craig Moore just dumped Yanagisawa straight into Schwarzer's path.

But in the end it all ended up for nowt, really gutted, but congrats Aussies.

I only watched the second half, and not even all of it. I do think too, we just went in too hard. You know how you psych yourself up for something and then end up being too forceful? I cant imagine what the pressure is like for any of these guys. On any team.

I hope you win your next games. Truly. You're too much of a good sport, yert :)

*apologies for the incoherent above post, too. I think I'm getting a migraine. :scream:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom