The Official Interference World Cup Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are scary bad at them, like somebody had cursed The Netherlands.

I remember a Jaap Stam penalty, it went more vertical than anywhere towards the net.

What you need to do is hypnotise the team into thinking they are good at penalties:p

Here is a coment from crazy drunk subjective Serbian.We were better then Dutch.They had one shot and that's it.I feel bad at the moment.I supported Serbia whit all my heart.All I got now is England who I support since I was a kid and I belive they can be champions

Well, nothing like the World Cup to bring me back to Interference!

This is *almost* proving to be a repeat of 2002 when all the underdogs fared much better than expected.
I was really hoping Angola would get a draw with Portugal, who don't look at all like the menacing Euro-finals team of 2004.
Looks like Scolieri was pulling a Sven Ericksson by putting on a defender with 30 mins left in the game. Sigh...

As always, I'm rooting for England but like the Habs I always wonder if the pressure is just too great...

When Portugal scored at 4 minutes , I thought Holy Shit they are going to make 8 , 9 ........ after ...... I've seen this movie before

roy keane said:
Here is a comment from crazy drunk subjective Serbian.We were better then Dutch.They had one shot and that's it.I feel bad at the moment.I supported Serbia with all my heart.All I got now is England who I support since I was a kid and I believe they can be champions

Hehehe!
Everybody is subjective when it's about their own team.

So here are the statistics:

Serbia and Montenegro (SCG) Statistics Netherlands (NED)
11 Shots 12
4 Shots on Goal 6
15 Fouls 23
6 Corner Kicks 4
3 Free Kicks (shots on goal) 1
0 Penalty Kicks 0
2 Offsides 3
0 Own Goals 0
4 Cautions 2
0 Expulsions 0
39% Ball Possession 61%
22 Actual Playing Time 34

56 minutes of actual playing time. :shame:

One game over.
Still two more to go.
And a lot can change as far as the standings goes.

If the weather in Germany stays like this (it's hot!), I think the Netherlands are going to have a tough time at both their remaining group matches.
Because Ivory Coast and Argentina can probably deal with the warmth better.

Last edited:
Eliv8 said:
facepaint.jpg

zidane.jpg

zidane0613_e2.jpg

:shh:

ladywithspinninghead said:
Well, nothing like the World Cup to bring me back to Interference!

This is *almost* proving to be a repeat of 2002 when all the underdogs fared much better than expected.
I was really hoping Angola would get a draw with Portugal, who don't look at all like the menacing Euro-finals team of 2004.
Looks like Scolieri was pulling a Sven Ericksson by putting on a defender with 30 mins left in the game. Sigh...

As always, I'm rooting for England but like the Habs I always wonder if the pressure is just too great...

Again, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. The finals are a month long, do enough to qualify for the 2nd round is standard for now, at this stage you typically wont see the "big" teams at their best, and you'll typically see the "little" teams overachieve. I've been watching these things since I was a kid staying up to the wee hours in 1970, these starts are typical.

guill said:
nice world cup you had..... hmmm....... 40 years ago ?

LOL!!!!

How many Euro championships has England won ? France ?

priceless.jpg

Face paint - £5.
Football shirt - £40.
The look on their faces when they get knocked out of yet another tournament...
PRICELESS.

If England ever do win a World Cup again (hopefully not within my lifetime:p ) Well at least you guys will not have to deal with the media aftermath...sadly here in Belfast we would suffer a blitz of 'we are amazing, we are brilliant, we are oh so fine, look at Beckham in his hot pants'...my life would not be worth living:(

LJT said:
If England ever do win a World Cup again (hopefully not within my lifetime:p ) Well at least you guys will not have to deal with the media aftermath...sadly here in Belfast we would suffer a blitz of 'we are amazing, we are brilliant, we are oh so fine, look at Beckham in his hot pants'...my life would not be worth living:(

Yeah, and you'd have to deal with it for the next 40 years........

I'm sure Jimmy Hill et al will pass the baton to the next generation of insuffereble commentators

priceless.jpg

Face paint - £5.
Football shirt - £40.
The look on their faces when they get knocked out of yet another tournament...
PRICELESS.

It's hilarious how ra-ra the England fans get immediately before any tournament ('football's coming home' etc. etc.) and then when they inevitably crash out they start whinging with all sorts of excuses.

yertle-the-turtle said:
It's hilarious how ra-ra the England fans get immediately before any tournament ('football's coming home' etc. etc.) and then when they inevitably crash out they start whinging with all sorts of excuses.

For sure.

The Italians are similarly bad. Weren't they the ones complaining about how their poorly stitched socks kept them from advancing in the last WC? I remember it was something utterly ridiculous.

This world cup has been great so far.

Great to see Ecuador overcome the Poles and how absorbing was the germany-costa roca opener. Frings goal was awesome.

England were typically garbage in the paraguay game. I'm devastated that they got the 3 points, but i take heart in the fact that paraguay were so bad in the first 20 minutes that even Guam could have smashed them. T & T's draw with the Swedes was magical and exhibited that just because a match might feature no goals, it doens't mean that the game is lacking in spectacle. Fantastic.

Argentina were very lucky to overcome the Ivory Coast in Hamburg, and it might even be fair to say that Ivory Coast deserved at least a 2-all draw, if not a win. Great match though.
Worst match of the tournament so far is Holland vs Serbia-Monty. Just dull, Robben was fascinating to watch but both teams looked to have almost given up in trying to score in the second half. It wasn't even fascinating from a defensive point of view.

Mexico lucky to escape with a 3-1 win over Iran. It was tight for about 75 minutes and the the Iranian defence fell to pieces. A draw would have made the group exremely intriguing.
Angola were fantastic and probably deserved a draw with against a very ordinary Portugal. Maniche should have started for Portugal and I can't concieve of why he didn't start with Deco out of the team. Ronaldo characteristically dived about 5 times in the first half. He's got the fancy moves, but he play acts more than anyone and isnt convincing when closing in on goal.

Japan vs Aussie tonight. Will be tight. I hope we pull through from an Aussie POV. We need at least one win for the sake of football in this country.

Italy-Ghana and Czech-USA will also both be absorbing contests.

And I'll be pulling for Japan.

I think our midfield squares up to yours but you've got a good advantage with your strikers. Hiddink's a fantastic coach as well, it will be difficult for us but not impossible.

And I really couldn't help laughing when I read this, from the Sydney Morning Herald:

LOTHAR Eiermann, for 33 years the manager and sometime chef at the Wald und Schlosshotel in secluded Friedrichsruhe, thinks he knows why Australia made such a sluggish beginning against Liechtenstein at Ulm on Wednesday evening. "It was not a surprise to me. They had eaten so much lunch. They started 1-0 behind," he said. "I can't understand it. Three steaks on one plate!"

When asked to divulge the names of the troubled trenchermen, Eiermann remembered himself and exercised the discretion of the good butler. After all, he would not have spilled the beans on - or about - Franz Beckenbauer, Michael Schumacher or Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, previous guests at his exclusive establishment.

*cough*viduka*cough*

Anyway, gambatte!

Its a tough game for the aussies. Japan are no pushover and have good WC experience on their side.

Realistically a draw would be a good result for the aussies!

OK I'm going out for dinner, I'm coming back to watch the match.

Should be a good one, I know loads of Aussie people on these boards but just for once today I hope you people will be sad. :wink:

Gambatte!

The BBC Preview:

Team News:

Mark Viduka should be fit to start for Australia despite a calf injury.

Tim Cahill, just back from a knee injury, will start while Harry Kewell will be on the bench, but neither is ready to play the full 90 minutes.

Japan midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura has been passed fit while strikers Naohiro Takahara and Atsushi Yanagisawa should also start after overcoming knocks.

But winger Akira Kaji is out with an ankle injury he picked up in a 2-2 friendly draw with Germany.

Australia (probable): Schwarzer, Emerton, Neil, Moore, Chipperfield, Grella, Culina, Cahill, Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka

Japan (probable): Kawaguchi, Miyamoto, Nakazawa, Tsuboi, Komano, Nakata, Fukunishi, Nakamura, Alex, Takahara, Yanagisawa

Head-to-heads

Australia have met Japan on 14 previous occasions.

Their record is well-balanced with five wins each and four draws. Japan have won their last three encounters without conceding a single goal.

Team facts - Australia

This is the second World Cup participation for Australia. They made their debut in 1974 in Germany and finished fourth in Group One, losing two and drawing one match (0-2 against East Germany, 0-3 against West Germany and 0-0 with Chile). Australia are therefore yet to score a World Cup goal.

This is the third tournament at which Australia coach Guus Hiddink will be in charge of a team. Previously, he guided both Holland (in 1998) and South Korea (in 2002) to fourth place. Hiddink is only the fourth coach to lead more than two different countries at the World Cup. Record holder Bora Milutinovic masterminded the World Cup campaigns of five different countries.

Team facts - Japan

This marks the third World Cup participation for Japan. In 1998, Japan finished bottom in Group H. In 2002, when they hosted the World Cup together with South Korea, they were knocked out in the second round by Turkey.

Japan are yet to win their opening match of the tournament. In 1998 they were beaten (1-0) by Argentina. Four years later they were held to a 2-2 draw by Belgium.

Player facts - Australia

Midfielder Stan Lazaridis, defender Tony Popovic and goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac are the most capped players in the Australian squad with 59, 56 and 52 caps respectively. John Aloisi is the most prolific scorer in the squad with 23 international goals.

Tim Cahill was Australia's top scorer in World Cup qualification with seven goals.

Player facts - Japan

Goalkeeper Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi, midfielder Hidetoshi Nakata and Alex are the most capped players in Japan's squad with 89, 74 and 72 caps respectively. Nakata is the only player to have featured in each of Japan's previous seven matches at the World Cup.

Naohiro Takahara and Atsushi Yanagisawa are the most prolific goalscorers for Japan with 17 international goals. Nakata (one) and Junichi Inamoto (two) are the two players from the current squad to have scored in the World Cup finals.

Miscellaneous Info

This match could see FC Basel teammates Koji Nakata (Japan) and Scott Chipperfield and Mile Sterjovksi (Australia) at opposite ends of the pitch.

Australia reserve goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac, together with Jan Koller and Nikola Zigic are the tallest players at the 2006 World Cup with a height of six foot seven and a half inches.

yertle-the-turtle said:
OK I'm going out for dinner, I'm coming back to watch the match.

Should be a good one, I know loads of Aussie people on these boards but just for once today I hope you people will be sad. :wink:

Gambatte!

Thats not Axver posting as you there is it? :)

Should be a great game. I dont really care, well I DO care what if Australia loses, but as long as they put in a good effort and dont get thrashed it'll be good.

I'm thinking a scoring draw or 2-1 either way.

intedomine said:
England were typically garbage in the paraguay game. I'm devastated that they got the 3 points, but i take heart in the fact that paraguay were so bad in the first 20 minutes that even Guam could have smashed them.

Lets be honest here and put our geographical locations aside shall we? Our first half was pretty good by all accounts. We controlled the flow of the game pretty well and had a few decent opportunities to build on our lead. The second half was flawed in many ways and we should never have invited Paraguay to push up the pitch by taking Owen off. However, to be fair Paraguay never really threatened our lead as much as people seem to believe. I didn't see us scrambling the ball off the line, or Paraguay hitting the woodwork every 5 minutes. Our track record with opening games within this competition suggests we came away with a positive result..and we will improve over the next few weeks. How far we'll make it is open to interpretation but the game on Saturday does not represent our potential.

Good luck against Japan this afternoon.

Well I know 11 Japanese people who are in the running for an acting carrer in a new soap opera, and a ref with some money riding on this game :wink:

Although the goal probably shouldnt have been allowed....I'm still confident of a win, or at the very least a tie.

Gotta Tell ya , sure now in the 2nd half they are more calm , but this Australia team scares me , but for the wrong reason , these guys are really violent , on the first plays of the 1st half , they were everytime in the japanese's legs , they literally forgot the ball , and I'm not even mentioning the game against Holland ....

Overral about the game , Australia is doing what they can to try a goal , and Japan is trying to play , I repeat 'tryin' , coz thats where it ends . I know they can do better than this.

For God's Sake, did you all see that play in 75 minutes ??? :| The Japanese striker at the right who had the chance to finish the match , either he went for the kick , or passed , but in a forward way to the left-striker , Dude he did a pass like he was a Australian defenser :sighs: Zico must be gettin insane at this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom