The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread - PART 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And finishing what I was saying .....

J_NP said:
The curious thing is :

in 2002 Itally was robbed , completely scandal againts South Korea , who was the coach :

Gus Huddink

And one of the main players , on that episode which got red card :

Totti

Now in 2006

A false Penalty

Who scores .....

Who loses : Gus Hiddink

And who is fucked up and pays the mess :

Australia

Sorry for ya guys

I'm not that saying that it was right what happened , but Italy got a bit of justice for 2002 , the shame is Australia is out .........

And for the ones curious about Italy being robber in 2002

Here >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXfAZc67Do&search=2002 fifa italy

I'll be interested in seeing what other sources say with regards to the penalty kick (I love reading it here at Interference but Aussies outnumber Italians by a large number)

(yes, I loove soccer but I can't say I know enough about the intricacies of the sport to say which way that should have gone!)

Last edited:
014.gif

ladywithspinninghead said:
I'll be interested in seeing what other sources say with regards to the penalty kick (I love reading it here at Interference but Aussies outnumber Italians by a large number)

(yes, I loove soccer but I can't say I know enough about the intricacies of the match to say which way that should have gone!)

If you love the sport of the WC , then you are in love with football :wink:

J_NP said:

If you love the sport of the WC , then you are in love with football :wink:

haha, when I lived in England, I called it "football" "footie" but now being back in Canada I'm used to "soccer"

and besides, they're called Soccerroos, right and not footieroos? :wink:

they're called Soccerroos, right and not footieroos? :wink:

Indeed! It's funny here at the moment, no one knows what to call it! I think it'll have to remain soccer because there willl be too much confusion with the aussie rules 'footy'

Yeah, but someday the Americans will catch on to the "sport" and the world will HAVE to call it soccer!
I jest of course!

Anyway...

someone posted a rule with regards to the "sport" so perhaps according to this, the penalty kick was justified (or am I really pulling at straws because I was cheering for Italy):

"making contact with an opponent before touching the ball when tackling an opponent to gain possession of the ball (Note: it is always a foul if the tackler contacts the ballhandler before touching the ball. However, it can still be a direct kick foul if the ball is touched first but the tackler was "careless, reckless, or used excessive force" and was judged to have kicked, tripped, charged or jumped at the ballhandler. Or, if the Referee believes the tackler played in a "dangerous manner", an indirect kick can be awarded),"

Yeah, but someday the Americans will catch on to the "sport" and the world will HAVE to call it soccer!
I jest of course!

Anyway...

someone posted a rule with regards to the "sport" so perhaps according to this, the penalty kick was justified (or am I really pulling at straws because I was cheering for Italy):

Yes, you are.

The Italian guy could easily have chosen to dodge the defender lying on the pitch and continue the play. Instead he chose to run into him.

I can't really blame him too much though. The rules of soccer, especially as enforced by these referees, encourage this sort of play.

I'm Italian and that's what I think: the australian defensor felt down when he understood that the italian player would have dribbled it, so that he could be an obstacle to the player and make him tumble down. To me there was intentionality and so it is definately a right penalty. And keep in mind that the referee has been too cruel to give red card to materazzi...in most of europan championship that would have been yellow card in the worst case...
But it had been a very balanced game, between aussie's attack and italian defence...

tommyvill said:

I'm Italian and that's what I think: the australian defensor felt down when he understood that the italian player would have dribbled it, so that he could be an obstacle to the player and make him tumble down. To me there was intentionality and so it is definately a right penalty.

I thought that defense was supposed to be about preventing the other guy from going where he wants to go. I guess not.

Anyway, according to FIFA rules, obstruction is punishable only by an indirect free kick, not by a free kick or penalty kick.

U2Man said:
Tonight's game could easily be boring, don't ya think?

I'm going to miss it and am not that upset about it - and if it's not boring I think it might be more excitement caused by bad refing and I don't know if I can handle many more cards!

BTW Thanks for the journal comments - sorry that you can relate by having been through it - :hug:

tommyvill said:

I'm Italian and that's what I think: the australian defensor felt down when he understood that the italian player would have dribbled it, so that he could be an obstacle to the player and make him tumble down. To me there was intentionality and so it is definately a right penalty. And keep in mind that the referee has been too cruel to give red card to materazzi...in most of europan championship that would have been yellow card in the worst case...
But it had been a very balanced game, between aussie's attack and italian defence...

If the penalty had been awarded to australia, wouldn't you have been as sick as the proverbial parrott, to lose to such a ridiculous decision?

speedracer said:

Yes, you are.

The Italian guy could easily have chosen to dodge the defender lying on the pitch and continue the play. Instead he chose to run into him.

I can't really blame him too much though. The rules of soccer, especially as enforced by these referees, encourage this sort of play.

And that's exactly why football/soccer will never catch on in North America - too many dives, theatre, and the refs decide a lot of the games...too bad though

And that's exactly why football/soccer will never catch on in North America - too many dives, theatre, and the refs decide a lot of the games...too bad though

Well, just like the NBA.

:wink:

U2@NYC said:

Well, just like the NBA.

:mad:

I wouldn't be surprised if all these soccer referees were actually Dick Bavetta. Or maybe Bennett Salvatore.

Hiddink said: "You can have doubts about the penalty, it was questionable."

Doesn't sound like the words of someone unequivocally convinced his team was "robbed"...

again, the team that DIDN'T DESERVED to pass... passed...

and those teams are: Portugal, England, Italy...

WE TOO were robbed in France 98, with a false penalty that got them to tie with us... WE WERE WINNING... and then a "penalty" like at the 40 minutes of the 2nd time...

I HATE ITALY!!! (and Brasil too) :mad:

pepokiss said:
again, the team that DIDN'T DESERVED to pass... passed...
and those teams are: Portugal, England ..

Why? They scored, and their opponents did not.

Here's SI.Com poll results so far:
Was Italy's Fabio Grosso fouled by Australia's Lucas Neill?

Yes, he clearly tripped him 18%
No way. The Aussies were robbed 61%
Could have gone either way 21%

Last edited:

Please .... thats not the reason .....

Dont make me say the list of reasons why north-americans dont really like the sport

Another terrible terribler .... ........ referee :|

The Red cards should be flying and nothing .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom