The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread (and Party) - PART 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sraphim wrote: oh, and I'd like to thank the german newspaper De Spiegel, who called the Italian people "parasites" and "nothing but pizza-eaters" in these past days... I hope Grosso and Del Piero's answer last night was enough to deflate your big ego.
???? i can't imagine that the serious german news magazine DER SPIEGEL wrote such offending stuff like this... if that happened maybe it was ironic
usually germans & italians get very well along with each other. both nations are full of respect to each other. btw tomorrow i will have lunch at my fave italian restaurant. for more press-comments after the game check out: http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,425157,00.html (english)
ps: as i said at worldcup-thread part 6: italy deserved the win in the semi-final. they had the more compelling chances.

So I'm goin now to gym , and before I go one , one comment , actually a image

If the frenc were so worried about provocation of Portugal , they can start complainin .......

366989-4959-cp.jpg

:lmao:

zoobeatle said:

Least Hargreaves had a English parent, You only have to go on holiday to Frankfurt for a week to be eligible to play for Germany.

Funny, because many players from other countries struggled to play in the German national team because they didn't get the German pass. It's really not easy, and we also don't have the dual citizenship like Italy has, or some other countries.

Klose lives in Germany nearly all his life, and Podolski since he is two.

Both were born in Schlesien, which belonged to Germany till the end of WWII. So the roots are Germany again.

If it wasn't for the colonies, Netherlands, England and France would find it very difficult to be that good in soccer.

Vincent Vega said:

Funny, because many players from other countries struggled to play in the German national team because they didn't get the German pass. It's really not easy, and we also don't have the dual citizenship like Italy has, or some other countries.

Klose lives in Germany nearly all his life, and Podolski since he is two.

Both were born in Schlesien, which belonged to Germany till the end of WWII. So the roots are Germany again.

If it wasn't for the colonies, Netherlands, England and France would find it very difficult to be that good in soccer.

Agreed, but heaven forbid you make a sensible point that is factually correct and free of obnoxious accusations or jingoistic histrionics.

jacobus said:
???? i can't imagine that the serious german news magazine DER SPIEGEL wrote such offending stuff like this... if that happened maybe it was ironic

some "Achim Achilles" wrote that.
I only had the chance to read the article in my language ('cause I can't understand a word of German :wink: )
http://www.repubblica.it/2006/06/sp...piegel/articolo-spiegel/articolo-spiegel.html
in my opinion, the article is a bit over-the-top, and it gets offensive at some point... btw, they received a lot of complaints from Italians living in Germany, and some days ago those 'journalists' wrote down a note in their newspaper saying that they were sorry and that some things they had written were way out of line.

anyway... it's over now. I just hope next time they'll have more respect for our team, and most importantly, for our country :)

edit: I found the aforementioned note (just because they wrote it down in Italian and English too :wink: )
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,423809,00.html
but looks like they deleted the whole article... I wonder why :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is such a thing as a sore winner you know!

Let's just agree Italy played their best game of the tournament and deserved the win. Love the prospect of a possible France- Italy final though.

As for Germany....I hope Klinsmann doesn't take that US offer. It was nice to see him involved in the world cup again.

sraphim said:

some "Achim Achilles" wrote that.
I only had the chance to read the article in my language ('cause I can't understand a word of German :wink: )
http://www.repubblica.it/2006/06/sp...piegel/articolo-spiegel/articolo-spiegel.html
in my opinion, the article is a bit over-the-top, and it gets offensive at some point... btw, they received a lot of complaints from Italians living in Germany, and some days ago those 'journalists' wrote down a note in their newspaper saying that they were sorry and that some things they had written were way out of line.

anyway... it's over now. I just hope next time they'll have more respect for our team, and most importantly, for our country :)

edit: I found the aforementioned note (just because they wrote it down in Italian and English too :wink: )
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,423809,00.html
but looks like they deleted the whole article... I wonder why :rolleyes:

Achilles is not an article, but it's an column. That's nothing serious and normally a bit satire.
He also writes about other sport topics that way, so he doesn't mean to offend someone. It'sjust joking.

In the normal articles Spiegel is way more serious.

So don't take that too serious :wink:

Vincent Vega said:
I don't know about England and France, but all the players in the dutch squad were born in The Netherlands
that their grandparents (or the generation before that) decided to move to The Netherlands doesn't make these players any less dutch

personally I think they would take offense to claims that they aren't dutch

Another curious thing I just discovered about Deco , Scolari , Brazil. Not only I read recently that in 2005 Parreira stated it was a mistake not callin him but also .......

back in 2002 , Before the final list Scolari watched a lot of videos of Deco playin for Porto and was of course pleased , he had sent his assistent to watch a game of Porto , that would be the last thing to Scolari put him on the list . Turned out that the plane had problems and Murtoza , Scolari's ass. missed the game . And for this , and also due to the long list of possible Midfielders for Brazil , Scolari left him out . Quite curious huh , somehow bad for Brazil , and luck for Portugal today.

about yesterday.. I can only say: :ohmy:

I never tought it would happen... no one I guess... Italy didn0t desrver to pass nor1st in its group, or agains Australia, or even with Ukraine... but they sure deserve this final, because of yesterday...

Germany was never "good"... they were "ok"...

so... now anything can happen... Portugal, can they prove that they're not the biggest lie in football?... or does France sub-32 make it and claim that they're not over yet?...

is C Ronaldo the next big star?... or Zinedine Zidane will say "no way I'm leaving a loser"?

this, and the final, will be 2 hell-of-a matches
:hyper:

Salome said:
I don't know about England and France, but all the players in the dutch squad were born in The Netherlands
that their grandparents (or the generation before that) decided to move to The Netherlands doesn't make these players any less dutch

personally I think they would take offense to claims that they aren't dutch

And what's with Klose, or Podolski, or the other players?
Maybe they weren't born in Germany, but they see themselves as Germans.
They decided to play for and represent Germany, so they wouldn't be happy either.

I didn't want to state that people from former colonies aren't English, French, Dutch or what else. I also didn't want to say they are any less.
I just wanted to say that it's a bit narrow minded to call the German team Polish (only two players come from Poland) or make fun of the fact that some players are not German with German ancestors, when in other countries the situation is no different.

Nobody said the world champion of 1998 was Marocco because Zidane scored the goals, everybody just saw him as a French player.

So people now shouldn't make a difference because there is no difference.

And again not saying that they are any less dutch, but their grandparents probably wouldn't have moved to The Netherlands if it wasn't the colonial power :wink:

Last edited:
I think the Polish relation bothers people because of the supposed hatred between the nations. It's totally rediculous. They consider themselves German or they wouldn't have played. Anyone remember Mehmet Scholl? He could have played for Turkey, and the list goes on. For god's sake this is Europe, the majority of the population are of mixed heritage if you think about it.

Ricardo went to the ball .....

But that's fine Portugal was better , they can get the draw

Barthez is getting lots of work.
Portugal looks good until about 20-30 yds away from goal.

You saw there was a touch , and it wasn't exactly a caress

Dont be like this annie the team is fightin , Portugal is makin me proud of it's footy , very very good , very fightin , nothin like Brazil :eyebrow: Those bastards .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom